Where in Santo Domingo?

ruzbehb

Dec 27, 2008
Hola,

I've been in Santo Domingo for a week now, but have managed to go only to tourist trendy clubs/bars- Jet Set and some places in the Plaza de Espana. I love dancing Bachata; but these places don't really offer a local favour :( Also, there is like a 2:1 ratio of men to women.

Does anyone know of any LOCAL bar/discos where they dance Bachata/Merengue? And where there are enough women to dance with?

I am studying Spanish so these places could also help me practice it.

muchas gracias
Ruz

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
yes

forget the name but the corner of Gomez, and 27th Feb. big disco

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go to Av. Venezuela it's the new hot spot in the city. You will see more eye candy than you can poke a stick at, dance Bachata/Merengue until your feet bleed :) Friday and Saturday night, it's hard to turn into Av. Venezuela from the Las Americas slip road, it's so jammed packed.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hola,

I've been in Santo Domingo for a week now, but have managed to go only to tourist trendy clubs/bars- Jet Set and some places in the Plaza de Espana. I love dancing Bachata; but these places don't really offer a local favour :( Also, there is like a 2:1 ratio of men to women.

Does anyone know of any LOCAL bar/discos where they dance Bachata/Merengue? And where there are enough women to dance with?

I am studying Spanish so these places could also help me practice it.

muchas gracias
Ruz

Try Coyote Bar off Churchill or Retros at Lincoln and Gustavo Mejia. Don't expect wonders on a sunday night.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Almost every place in the west side of the bridge is trendy, classy and although they will often put merengue and salsa, they will neglect bachata only to Aventura's one. As Robert said head to Ave. Venezuela and stop in one of Drink House or La Barrica.

srd

Jan 31, 2009
www.glovercharles.ning.com
Good to know. I will be there also in 10 days. Looking forward to good bachata/merengue also. Just finished with our Calle Ocho festival here over 1 million people so I am all ready for my trip.

ruzbehb

Dec 27, 2008
Thanks a ton guys. Really appreciate your advice.

Just came back from Jet-Set and a major disappointment again. I paid $800 for entry coz there was live merengue band...the show was awesome. But didn't manage to get many mujeres to dance with me...not sure if I did something wrong. I went to a few and said with a smile "Hola, quieres bailar"; they said either just NO or No queiro, soy cansada and in some time I see them dancing with other local men...

Will check out Av Venezuala 2moro...really looking forward to it...some people have advised me not to go there as it may not be safe for me...but dont care...I haven't really danced much in the last whole week...this is not what I expected in DR...but hopefully change that this week...wish me luck!

gracias
Ruz

PS: Why don't people smile or look at their partners when dancing here in DR? Find it really strange!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Could be the girls you asked like to dance (you say you saw them dancing with the locals) and they figure you would not know how to.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks a ton guys. Really appreciate your advice.

Just came back from Jet-Set and a major disappointment again. I paid $800 for entry coz there was live merengue band...the show was awesome. But didn't manage to get many mujeres to dance with me...not sure if I did something wrong. I went to a few and said with a smile "Hola, quieres bailar"; they said either just NO or No queiro, soy cansada and in some time I see them dancing with other local men...

Will check out Av Venezuala 2moro...really looking forward to it...some people have advised me not to go there as it may not be safe for me...but dont care...I haven't really danced much in the last whole week...this is not what I expected in DR...but hopefully change that this week...wish me luck!

gracias
Ruz

PS: Why don't people smile or look at their partners when dancing here in DR? Find it really strange!

I ha ve been to av. Venezuela at least a dozen times and never an issue thus far,mind you i usually go with a DR amigo.
La Barrica is a favorite spot for me.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i agree, check out Avenida Venezuela and San Vicente, definately a lot of little bars and or colmados you can hang out on the street and mingle with locals and find out more places to hang out at.
I also enjoy la Barrica, good atmosphere and lively!
good luck! :)

Lucian

Jan 25, 2008
Try Tele Oferta at Maximo Gomez and 27 de Febrero in front of the Olympic Park. Mostly couples, so it's best to brink a partner. I usually have the hotel staff arrange a partner for me.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
you went to the wrong place. jet set is a medium class disco with tables and chairs. not a good place for singles. dominicans girls doesnt like to be seen dancing with a gringo tourist. not problem with foreing residents (thats difference).
my advise if you want to be away from touristic areas, is to act like a resident and go to places for singles.
Coyote is a good place for singles. good latin music. mediun class
Eclipse, the only decent club in ave. venezuela. maybe the best choice for single. mediun class, but from santo domingo east. (they are more open than us).
other thing you can do is go with a dominican friend. or find a girl in El Conde and invite her. there is lot of pretty medium low class girls in the street (not working girls), that will acept your invitation.
good luck