Rubin

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
For anyone who has lived in SD for any time,and has been to Pacos on El Conde,or the Office on other end of El Conde,a regular for at least 20 years has passed away.
Rubin died at the Mt Sinai hospital in Miami last week.
He will be missed by the expats in and around the Colonial Zone and El Conde.
He was 78,and married to a lovely Dominican lady for over 20 years.
bob

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks for posting of Ruben's passing, Bob. He was a real treasure and will be missed by those of us who looked forward to sharing his experience and wisdom. I sat with him just a week or so ago at Paco as he explained that he was receiving treatment and planned mulitple trips to the US to visit his grandchildren in the next several months. He explained to me, in true Ruben stype, that his wife was more concerned than he was, and that he was moving forward, taking life one day at a time. It is truly sad that he did not live long enough to complete his plan and truly sad that I will no longer be one of the beneficiaries of his wonderful conversation. Peace be unto you Ruben, the "Village Griot".

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I knew Ruben, good guy and a real character. He always had a smile and an interesting story to tell. Sad to hear of his passing :(

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Rubin was a fixture at Paco's and the office nursing his beer. I sat and talked with him many times. I learned alot from him.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I first met Ruben King-Shaw shortly after coming to Santo Domingo, and he was my mentor who kept me from going crazy living in the DR, and avoiding problems of any kind. No matter how long it had been since I last saw him, I always got a big "HEYYYYyyy" when I came around the corner to come and sit down with him at Paco's. Over the years, our original circle of friends and regular visitors have kind of broken up through passings, moves, and normal life events.

His office was El Conde. Everyone in El Conde knew him, and he had a wide and deep circle of friends, both Dominican and foreigners, from many corners of this world.

He came to Santo Domingo to live permanently 23 years ago with the sole intention of spending his retirement enjoying watching women and drinking beer. He filled in the gaps by helping newbies and oldtimers with dilemmas and advice when asked. He succeeded. I will miss him, and my life is better for knowing him. Rest in peace, Ruben.