Which of these hotels in Jarabacoa is better?

angel_monson

Feb 20, 2008
My girlfriend suggested a few places. I haven't been to any of them, so I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me out.

Our basic requirements:
Clean rooms, good food
Quiet atmosphere where we can walk around without much interruptions
Nice nature walks where we discover things while we walk (similar to Rancho Guaraguao).

We would like to see the river, but we'd prefer having to walk to get to it. (instead of just having it there). I think of it as an adventure hike without the dangers... We walk around and find new sites and places. It's more fun that way, at least for us.

Here are the choices we have found:
Villas Pinar del Rio
Los Bohios - Campo Anil
Hotel Gran Jimenoa
Rancho Olivier

Thanks for the info.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
If you like the idea of hearing river rapids, Hotel Gran Jimenoa and ask for a room in the back near the river.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Haven't stayed at the others but my we loved Gran Jimenoa. Get a room in the back as Boyd said. Good food but gets old quick.

amberrenae

Nov 17, 2009
Contact for gran jimenoa

Anyone know how to contact this hotel and make reservation. I am traveling close to christmas so I assumed reservations would be necessary. Cant seem to find anything recent online. And do you need to speak spanish or will they have someone that speaks english that can talk to me. I speak spanish decent, but don't want to risk it when making reservations, or credit card numbers are being exchanged.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Update

I just returned from a two night stay at Gran Jimenoa, and.............well it is a hotel. There are only a few rooms with a view of the river. We stayed in room #215 which from reading another post I learned is one of four rooms with a great view of the river. Do not let the fact that Gran Jimenoa is on the river be the determining factor to stay here. All in all I found Gran Jimenoa is not by any means superior to Pinar Dorado. Pinar Dorado is a much smaller hotel and just as nice.

The game room at Gran Jimenoa is useless. Two pool tables but between the two you can not find enough pool balls to fill the rack. The net on the ping pong table was broke along with the air hockey game. The biggest surprise was the staff could not even find a complete set of dominos. The pool is surrounded by shade trees. The included breakfast was fairly good. We ate all other meals at restaurants in town so I can't comment on other meals served at Jimenoa.

The room was $RD 2500 per night with a surprise of a $RD350 charge on my bill because I accepted the Jarabacoa Tourist Guide Book. The book is much like the DR1 guide book of Santo Domingo but with 10 times the advertisement. I could not believe they charged me 350 pesos for that book. Needless to say, Gran Jimenoa is not on my list of must return to places.

Gran Jimenoa and Pinar Dorado are both easily accesible by car and the center of town is a short drive away.

A few pics of the view from room #215 at Gran Jimenoa.
2yz9zzr.jpg

aykoxk.jpg

29ej7tf.jpg

2rdygrr.jpg

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Does Oscar still have that hotel in Jarabacoa? I cannot remember the street but I know it leads to the river where the horse riding tours are. Oscar Contreras is his name, a Colombian guy, he bought some land there and set up cabanas.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Does Oscar still have that hotel in Jarabacoa? I cannot remember the street but I know it leads to the river where the horse riding tours are. Oscar Contreras is his name, a Colombian guy, he bought some land there and set up cabanas.

do you mean Rancho2condios?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
i dont know. when i was there in 1999 it was just 2 buildings. the central cabana where he lived with his wife and there were 2 cabanas in the corner. When I went back in 2000 he was building an addition. Oscar, if you ask him he used to be a chef for the Sheraton Hotel in Times Square for like 30 years. He chose DR because there was NO WAY IN HELL He was going to retire back in Colombia.