There is hope!!! Medio ambiente

reaganmom

Dec 19, 2006
We have a new Secretary for the Medio Ambiente of the Providince of Samana. His name is Erich Espinal Ariza. He filled the position about three months ago. Since this time, he has really created quite a stir regarding the enforcement of the environmental laws of the DR, which actually DO EXIST.

To name a few of his accomplishments – he shut down a fishing method in the Bay of Samana, known as “The Blender”. This method destroys important coral the whales use to rest upon, after their long voyage to mate in the surrounding waters.

He has also brought to light illegal strip mining that is tearing away the mountainsides and resulting in erosion. Such mining practices require a permit.

He shut down the largest developer in the Caribbean, who is building a condominium project in Las Terrenas, because the developers were filling in wetlands.

He has been a champion in protecting endangered species that have appeared in a local restaurant as wall art and pets.

He has also stopped construction on several residential building projects, one of which belongs to my neighbor. These projects were shut down because they had NO environmental permitting whatsoever!!! Any party intending to build a project must first have an environmental impact study performed on the intended construction site, which is done and approved by the Medio Ambiente. For years, it has been “business as usual” on the Samana Peninsula and developers, builders and owners have been ignoring this law.

We finally have a local official who cares about the environment and states that he is “only following the law” in his actions. Wouldn’t you think the community would welcome such honest, refreshing change in which bribes and the turning of heads is no longer common place????

Most everyone I talk with has a positive opinion of the shake up. The people who are unhappy are our local government officials because this is making them look bad.

A case in point – the hillsides were burning in Coson last week (I witnessed this from my house). Mr. Espinal Ariza called the fire department to have them put the fire out and there was no gas in the truck. This is a safety concern for the town of Las Terrenas. This intentional hillside burning is illegal.

In the case of my neighbor – he is building a house on a lot, the footprint of which covers the entire surface. The vegetation left on the lot consists of one palm tree. The remaining area is covered in cement. The “Right To Proceed” permit was issued by the Department of Tourism. The construction was into it’s forth story before it was stopped by the Medio Ambiente. I live on a hill which has building height restrictions. There are also density restrictions regarding how much of the lot can be built upon. If the house is fully constructed, it will be larger than many of the area’s hotels. It will scar the hillside and be forever there for the residents, visitors and community to endure. The two parties involved in building the house are greedy foreigners and intend to sell it and make money, never intending to use it as their own residence. Where does that leave the rest of the neighbors who call the hill our home and the people who call Las Terrenas their town? How could the Department of Tourism grant a permit for such a building???? I think we can all read between the lines…..

The community of Las Terrenas is coming together to support our new Medio Ambiente Secretary and his superior Dr. Jamie David Mirabal. We are sending the message loud and clear to the President that we want the Samana Peninsula cleaned up and protected with proper, careful development. Since the construction shut down, the Medio Ambiente has received five inquiries for proper building permit procedures.

We have used the local media and distributed petitions and will spread the word to the Capital, where environmental practices tend to be watched by a closer eye. The new highway from the Capital to the Samana Peninsula has drawn governmental scrutiny closer to our area, which has a history of exploiting the laws for self-gain. More and more wealthy, educated Santo Domingo Dominicans are investing their interest in the Las Terrenas area through the purchase of real estate. They also want the beauty and value of the land and ocean protected for their generations to come.

Please help our community support Mr. Espinal Ariza’s work and please get the word out that it is no longer “business as usual” on the Samana Peninsula. If you have any questions, the Medio Ambiente is there to provide you direction. THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I don't know why the politicians in this country think with their asses, knowing how important is to protect the environment in order to attract more tourism.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not so much asses as pockets, thinking of personal short-term gain. Not just a DR thing, of course.

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
The history of environmental protection in the DR is truly a marvelous thing. Certainly the last six months have been much more pro-active in terms of profile and prosecution.

(as an aside, I am not too sure that burning of hillside forest is automatically illegal - it generally is, but there are some circumstances where it is not)