DR$7,500 a month too cheap?

Pleasant

Mar 10, 2009
Hello, Everyone

My mother bought a house not too long ago in Santo Domingo. The house has 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, garage, living room, dinning room, and a large yard, plus unattached to the house it has an additional bedroom and bathroom. The house is located in the Lucerna neighborhood about 10 minutes away from Mega Centro. The house does have an issue; the water reservoir (cisterna) looses all it's water in a couple of hours.

The property is currently being rented for DR$7,500 which I think is too cheap. Now I understand that the reservoir not holding water is a serious issue, but we are planning on fixing the problem, and in the mean time we are going to add a water tank (tinaco) to the house.

After these improvements what would be a reasonable rent??

Reactions: mike l

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hello, Everyone

After these improvements what would be a reasonable rent??

I lived in a similar house in a similar neighborhood. My rent was 14,000 RD. I found it to be reasonable, but the daily 8 hour black out periods became annoying, and should be considered when setting you rental price.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
where exactly is Lucerna located? i know you said 10 mins from mega centro but in which direction. that does sound a bit on the cheap side for rent but i would consider its location a major concern. i know of a few places is Los Mina that rent like this with same set up and between $8k and $10k RD...
TOOBER SDQ, i hope you are being sarcastic with 8 hour blackout periods...thats too much! :eek:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Could you please post a picture of the house and the area? For example, my house has 3bdr, office etc and a small yard and we are on the outskirts of Santiago an it would rent from RD15k to RD18k. The same home closer downtown would rent more. Here is a picture:

2r5sq5h.jpg

Assuming the house is in good condition and you guys resolve the water issues, I think it should go for substanitally more.

good luck

Pleasant

Mar 10, 2009
where exactly is Lucerna located? i know you said 10 mins from mega centro but in which direction. that does sound a bit on the cheap side for rent but i would consider its location a major concern. i know of a few places is Los Mina that rent like this with same set up and between $8k and $10k RD...
TOOBER SDQ, i hope you are being sarcastic with 8 hour blackout periods...thats too much! :eek:

Definitely away from Los Minas. The neighborhood is decent and blackouts last time I was there (two and half years ago)were rarely more than four hours and only happened about once a week. If it is any help Lucerna is the neighborhood that follows Cansion Primero.

I'll try to get a picture soon.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
....TOOBER SDQ, i hope you are being sarcastic with 8 hour blackout periods...thats too much! :eek:

No sarcasm. 8 hour daily black outs were typical in Residencial Lomisa. Sometimes the power would kick back in for an hour or so around mid day.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Wow

No sarcasm. 8 hour daily black outs were typical in Residencial Lomisa. Sometimes the power would kick back in for an hour or so around mid day.

this is terrible! can an inversor even power you for 8 hours? i wouldnt pay rent at all with this kind of issue...sheesh.
i understand this is a serious problem all throughout DR but i am surprised it would be that long in la capital.
my wife's family is from a campo deep in san cristobal and i know power outages happen there often...ive gotten used to them being that its in a campo in the middle of nowhere so peace and quiet make up for it...but this is a pest! :ermm:

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

And this was true during the Hippo days (2002-2004) but has not been so since about a year after (2005) Hippo was given the boot. Typical blackouts in the area are usually 4-5 hours daily with an occasionally day out of the month lasting 8-10 hours. Power is cut at 9am and it is back by 1pm or cut at noon and back at 4pm or cut at 4pm and back at 8pm. This schedule has been in place for about 2 years now. Lomisa is going to be switch to a 24 hour circuit supposedly by the end of the year. I suppose Lucerna will be switch to a 24 hour circuit too but I can't say for certain that it will. Lomisa is small compared to Lucerna and that give it an advantage as a candidate to 24/7 circuit.

Lucerna is a decent Dominican neighborhood. Most of the streets and house are nice. The house the OP describes should rent between 10-15k per month. I know of 2 houses in Lomisa similar to the one described by the OP that are renting for over 14k and 2 that are renting around 12k.

For reference, a house similar to mine in this area but with less than 1/2 my yard currently rents for RD$17,500.
143hoaa.jpg

NotLurking

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
wow NOTLURKING, thats a nice looking house too!
damn it i just want to leave NY and move to DR permanently! LOL
I have never been to Lucerna before, not that I recall, maybe i drove by without knowing my whereabouts, but you are right it does sound lowball for a rent....but with a busted cisterna i too wouldnt be paying much rent!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I doubt there are any livable houses in any area of SD for that cheap, I wouldn't even go to look at a rental for that price because I would expect it to be a total dump.

Definitely too low.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
And this was true during the Hippo days (2002-2004) but has not been so since about a year after (2005) Hippo was given the boot. Typical blackouts in the area are usually 4-5 hours daily with an occasionally day out of the month lasting 8-10 hours. Power is cut at 9am and it is back by 1pm or cut at noon and back at 4pm or cut at 4pm and back at 8pm. This schedule has been in place for about 2 years now. Lomisa is going to be switch to a 24 hour circuit supposedly by the end of the year.

Sorry to say NotLurking..... I moved out of Lomisa about 2 months ago. 4-5 hour black outs were the exception. 8 hour black outs were the rule. The power usually cut out at either 7 or 8 am, and returned at 4 or 5 pm, sometimes as late as 7 or 8 pm. This was not during the Hippo days, but very recent. Some days were better than other, but overall the place is a very uncomfortable place to live.

It wouldn't help to dispute me, I lived there for a while (too long) and as strange as it sounds kept meticulous notes as to when the power cut and when it came back for most days, because amazingly with all those black outs, my electric bill was consistantly around 7 kRD per month.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The house is not the problem, the problem is the location, Lucerna is on the other side of the bridge just next to Los Mina, if you want to increase it you may do it by only RD$2K - 3K max. I have seen palaces extremely cheap en el otro lado del puente.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
1/2 price

The house is not the problem, the problem is the location, Lucerna is on the other side of the bridge just next to Los Mina, if you want to increase it you may do it by only RD$2K - 3K max. I have seen palaces extremely cheap en el otro lado del puente.

Crossing the river, is going to the other world. prices are 2/3 to 1/2 what they are on the west side. And there is a reason, its perceived as much more risky.Not really sure that it is but the prices reflect this. voy para otro mundo.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Funny how much location makes a difference. I probably could only get around 20k/month for my large house (It's in Cotui)

scz0he.jpg

11j7jgn.jpg

Last edited:

drz_candy

Jun 2, 2009
sounds gOOd.....how can ii get in contact with u because I would like to rent the house for semana santa 2010 for 2 months