SD to Port au Prince

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Has anyone flown recently from Santo Domingo (Las Americas or Higuero) to Port au Prince and back? Apparently Caribair and Volair are no longer flying this route and there is only one scheduled flight per day which leaves for Haiti so it's no longer possible to fly out in the morning and back from Haiti in the afternoon.

If anyone has any accurate and recent info I'd be happy to hear.
Thanks

Bryan

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Hi Bryanell

The company servicing this route is called Tortug Air. They are a Haitian Airline that flies the Jetstream 31 aircraft. ( same as Caribair and VolAir before). They have 2 flights per day, one departing at 8.30 am and the other around 4 pm to PAP, Haiti.

I am not sure what is the best way to reach them, but a lady named, Wendy at Higuero Airport handles the flight desk. You might be able to get the tel number by calling the airport.

Sorry, could not be more help -

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hi Bryanell

The company servicing this route is called Tortug Air. They are a Haitian Airline that flies the Jetstream 31 aircraft. ( same as Caribair and VolAir before). They have 2 flights per day, one departing at 8.30 am and the other around 4 pm to PAP, Haiti.

I am not sure what is the best way to reach them, but a lady named, Wendy at Higuero Airport handles the flight desk. You might be able to get the tel number by calling the airport.

Sorry, could not be more help -
Thanks for the rapid response Oscar,

Apparently Tortug Air are only flying once a day since they are no longer represented by Volair here. They fly in from PaP early in the morning and fly straight back to PaP almost immediately. The afternoon flight used to be supported by Volair but no longer so Tortug have only the morning flight now.
Any idea what a day charter to PaP would cost to fly out early morning and fly back late afternoon??

Thanks again,

Bryan

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Bryan

The day rate for a charter for upto 7 people is US$2000. That is the going rate from the companies at the airport right now. Most of us private guys are not flying currently as IDAC has blown a fuse with us and is grounding us every chance they get so we are staying away from the charters right now - till they calm down and find something else to target....

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
SD to Pap

We made the trip. Flew our from Higuero (JBQ) with Tortug Air flight which left at 0830 - return fare was US$270. This does not include the US$20 departure tax which you pay at check-in. Flight was a smooth 40 minutes in an 18 seat turbo-prop.

Landing at PaP is like going back 50 years in time. You have to get a disembarkation form at a service desk before you join the line at Immigration, the officials were very polite but the whole process is manual and takes a little time. We stayed overnight at the Montana hotel up on top of a big hill in Petionville. The hotel was nice, very well laid out, rooms were good, bathroom a little antiquated but with lots of very hot water and good shower pressure. The beds were not comfortable, the mattresses were very hard and lumpy. Restaurant has a terrace with splendid views over the city and the sea but the food was mediocre to poor.

Getting back to the airport in the morning traffic was chaotic, bumper to bumper all the way. Check in was frightfully slow, again everything manual and time consuming. Exit tax is US$20 again be sure to have a US$20 bill otherwise you won't get change. Take off was around 0900 Haiti time (DR minus 1 hour) the same smooth 40 minute flight back, in flight catering is a plastic bag with a small box of juice and a small pack of Pringles.

Overnight parking at JBQ is RD$280 for the first 24 hours and RD$40/hour after that.

Air fare, taxes and parking all together works out US$4 per minute in the air, not sure if that's cheap or not....

Sep 20, 2003
I've travelled in a lot of the poorer parts of the globe and my experience has been that I usually end up paying more for hotels and plane tickets there than I would in the Western world. The hotels usually had to have their own generators and water supply(not cheap) and there were so few foreign visitors that airlines charged premium prices just to break even.

I've flown on American airlines that offered me a can of Pepsi and a bag of pretzels as the only inflight meal. (And one of those flights was from North Carolina to New Mexico.)

I try to take all of this into consideration while I'm be raked over the coals financially. I also look at the extra cost as being the price for adventure.

Next time your in Pentionville have dinner at Cafe Albert-a Belgian resturant. The food is fantastic and the resturant is really beautiful. I've had bad meals at resturants in America-hits and misses everywhere.