Help DR Virgin - Please!!!

K

Kevin Brown

Hey,

I am taking a Spanish immersion course in Santo Domingo from Jan 7th to the 21st. Staying with
host family...school seems to be legit.

Questions:

The program is called Spanish Abroad, Inc and they have been around doing this program in
other countries, but only been in the DR for a short time.....anyone else ever studied with them in
DR?

Mosquitoes - do I need netting at night? Please understand....mosquitoes love me!!!

Middle class by Dominican Republic standards...what does that mean to you? My host family
will be of middle class standard.

Do you think a beginner in Spanish could work with the local Habitat for Humanity for a day as
a volunteer and contribute? Or will my lack of good language skills hurt me too much?

I know to buy bottled water, but will I offend my host family if I ask them to prepare my meals
with bottled water that I would buy?

Can I rent moped or motor scooter in Santo Domingo (do they have?) to get around with out looking like a
complete "Gringo"?

Are ATM's easy to find in Santo Domingo?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.....It's my first (virginal) trip to the Dominican Republic.

Thanks,

KB

PS - sorry if you thought you were going to get lucky and have some young pretty girl pick you up.....wake up....you're dreaming! Ya read it didn't you?

S

Susanne

I can't answer all your questions but I am sure someone else on the board will help out.

As for mosquitos: Malaria is almost non-existent in the Dominican Republic apart from close to the Haitian border and in some rural districts. If you are not going to sleep there, don't bother with malaria prophylaxis. However, it is unpleasant to get bitten, and a net is better for the environment and actually more efficient at night than insect repellent. So no harm in bringing it along or buying one there.

Middle class Dominican means that you will be very comfortable. For some reason middle class seems to be the same almost everywhere in the world. Of course people are generally poorer in the Dominican Republic but the middle class seems to be fairly well off without being rich. The house or apartment most likely won't be huge but with most modern amenities (not the machine park of the US kitchens, but then again, that is unique!)

Habitat: Someone else will have to tell. My guess is that you can always be of help if you are prepared for it. Do you speak French? Some of the organizations work mainly with Haitians - now, that is low caste in the DR - and French will come in handy here.

Bottled water: No need to ask for your meals to be prepared with it. As long as it is boiled it is safe. However, it is not unlikely that your family will use bottled or purified water already. Maybe others can tell you more as to whether it would be insulting to ask. But for health reasons it isn't necessary.

The country is virtually flooding with mopeds. And yes - you will look like a gringo. That isn't going to hurt you, though. What will is the traffic. That could kill you. So find your bearings and look closely at the traffic culture before you decide to give it a go.

Enjoy yourself. I am sure you will. Staying with a family could be one of your best experiences ever.

Regards,
Susanne

T

Tom

Hopefully everyone who reads this post will "wake up" and provide the answer your arrogance deserves, nothing

You are a virgin in the area of manners and internet etiquette also.

Tom

E

ECH, M.D.

Now Tom, don't be so hard on a high school sophomore. I am sure he will learn given time. But you and I probably won't live that long! LOL

K

KB

To ECH,MD & Tom,

What is up with you two?

Where is all this hostility coming from?

I posted the same message, minus the "Virgin" talk and I got next to no response.

I post this and I get quite few helpful suggestions and answers to my questions. Arrogant? Hardly....silly yes.

Was someone really harmed?

Here I am trying to go to a country I have never been before and I asks some basic questions and you act like I killed somebody!

Please....if you don't like the questions move on.

Try a sense of humor.....you might like it!

Peace,

KB

PS...no one is perfect. I haven't met a human being yet who was....but I am sure you two are working on it!

D

Diane

arrogance??? it proves that you are an American.

Like I said before, I'm glad I'm out of the $tates.

Now TOM, leave the DR people alone (and those who appreciate DR)
and stay the hell out of this board. You are one rude bastard
and I hope the webmaster will cancel your subsciption to this
board.

Dont bother to reply, I'm DONE wiht YOU and will IGNORE your post.

T

Tom

The DR 'Virgin" really needs help

Been there done that. When you place a messaage that would cause a reasonable and intelligent person to deviate from something else they may be doing, thinking your message was one of urgency, you are ignorant,

Act like someone that has reached puberty and you will be treated likewise.

Tom

T

Tom

Diane, the States did you adieu

I'll wager it is your sophmoric use of words that get your post booted.

Funny you should jump in ust becasue we put you in your place with the rape thread, couldn't take the heat huh?

Stay out of the DR? Expect to be touching down in Santo Domingo in about 12 hours, I'll absorb some sun for your misinformed childish body.

Why don't you and "DR Virgin" get together, your su total knowledge of the DR and life in general may let you function at a 10th grade level (Thats US, 12th grade Canadian (No offense to all mu Canadian friends, selected for these two morons you call your own)

Thomas D'Alfonso of the United States of America and frequent visitor to the dominican Republic, CONSTANT visitor to this board.(That laqrgecountry to your South Diane, the one that dictates almost everything you do, we might even sell you a few F/A-18's for a 6 million profit as you can't figure how to build your own)

Wah, wah, wah

C

CES

Re: Hey Tom!

Hi Thomas,

Please, I say PLEASE have a great time in the DR this time, if you know what I mean :)re. last time). BTW You'll almost be able to see Mrs., CES at 'Las Americas', small world isn't it.

Take Care Tom, & GOOD LUCK gringo!!!:)

Best Regards,

Charlie

K

KB

To Diane and Susanne and others,
Thanks for the advice and notes. I thank you for taking the time to answer some of my questions.

Tom.................

What can I say?

I thought I would share my email with the board since you took it upon yourself to email me (I'll block your address from now on).

This is the email Tom sent me:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Try asking direct, concise questions and I bet you will receive the same from
us in reply. Make "enemies" of people who have been around this board since
it started 4 years ago, and take your chances.

I'm willing to relate every single bit of information about the Dr I know
(That which I recall anyhow)

I am leaving for the DR in 45 minutes, will be checking Internet every 2 days
or so, write to tomas090@HOTMAIL.COM if you think I can answer something
for
you

G'Day
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
==========================
Tom,
I still don't know what I did wrong?

How much more direct and concise could my questions be?

I asked questions about a language school, transportation, water, insects, economics, volunteering, etc.

Look...let's just call it quits between you and me and go our separate ways.

I have gotten answers from other folks and no one felt like I was making "enemies" of the board.

Thanks, but I will ask that you keep your advice to yourself....I don't think I want your insights on the DR. I will take my chances with other folks who were not offended by my message.

You seem to think this is your board. You were here before me and I am sure you will be here long after I have gone.

You win!

Keep your board and enjoy!

I will go to the DR and meet folks and learn Spanish as best I can....that is all I wanted to do anyway.

Peace,

KB
==========================

I will look elsewhere for advice on the DR?.too bad?.I thought this would be a nice way of seeking advice.

I really hope that Tom is a small minority and not a reflection of the people of the DR. I am going there with an open mind and a wish to learn a new language. Nothing more or less!

Peace to all of you!

Have a great Holiday Season!

Ciao Bella,

KB

E

Eric

About the "skitters", yeah, you do need some netting unless the host is completely enclosed and has a/c. Otherwise, depending on neighborhood, you might not see a single mosquito.

Middle class by Dominican Republic standards is having the basic commodities of a US family. A decent house, a car, maybe cable TV.

----"Do you think a beginner in Spanish could work with the local Habitat for Humanity for a day as
a volunteer and contribute? Or will my lack of good language skills hurt me too much? "
Sorry can't help you there, but it doesn't hurt to try.

--"I know to buy bottled water, but will I offend my host family if I ask them to prepare my meals with bottled water that I would buy?"
The water is way below standard in the DR, but if you think about it, the first and most effective method of purification is by boiling water. Instead of giving them liquid to prepare your meals, I suggest you give them gas so they cook it. (just a joke) as long as the meals are cooked, there should be no problem.

---"Can I rent moped or motor scooter in Santo Domingo (do they have?) to get around with out looking like a
complete "Gringo"?"

That's a big NO-NO, yes they do have them, in fact, more than you are willing to put up with. The problem is that the lifespan of a "gringo" on a motorcycle in DR is very ephemeral. You see, the traffic laws here are the same you're used to in US, but no one enforces them, therefore no one respects them.

--"Are ATM's easy to find in Santo Domingo?
Yes, ATM's are all over the place in the country. Each bank has a slightly different name for it, but for the most time is in English and means money or something like that( C.A.S.H, ATM, ATH, etc.)

Have fun! Drink all you want but don't drive.
Eric

P.S. if you can find someone who reads spanish ask them to read this news clip from today's paper.

"Un hombre muerto y otros tres heridos fue el resultado de un accidente de tr?nsito ocurrido ayer en la autopista Las Am?ricas entre un carro y un motor, cerca del control de peaje de La Caleta.
Aunque no fue posible identificar de inmediato a la persona fallecida, la Cruz Roja Dominicana asegur? que se trata de uno de los dos ocupantes del motor."

K

KB

Eric,
Thanks for the answers to my questions.
You have been very helpful.
Peace,
KB

T

Tom

Re: Hey Tom!

Thanks Charlie. I must have had a good time last nightm just got up

T

Tom

It is a great way to learn about the DR and life, attitude is everything.

Shame you want to learn about DR and feel the need to block mail. I won't crawl through the computer and attack you

Tom

G

gio

Maybe I'm not easily offended but I thought that his questions showed that he did not want to offend his host family and was sincere about it.

D

Duck

Eric - you referenced the USA several times, but I couldn't see that KB stated he was from the states. Anyway ...

You answered his questions politely and correctly. For a kid his age it is OK to ask questions like this.

KB - IF you are no longer a kid (18 or so) (or even if you are) I hope you take this experience and learn from it and continue to learn from it by travalling further to other places. There is no paradeis on this planet, but the DR comes close, even with the power shortages, telephone outages, this, that and the other thing .... People living in the DR have a lot more personal freedoms than people living elsewhere!! (and Sun, and Rum, and ...)

Besides the fact - you are only talking about 3 weeks anyway ----who cares???? Crap - I haven't been anywhere for 3 weeks at a whack in over 5 years!

Have fun! Brugal Extra Viejo rules!!!!

A

Algena

I have a lot of respect for you for many reasons. Among them, what you do for my country's poor patients. I am quite ignorant of Internet etiquette. What did this person do wrong? I would probably do the same thing because I don't know the rules. Thanks for replying

L

Lesley

Re: The Message board really needs help

I view the message board several times a week as I'm moving to the DR soon. I'm really disappointed most of time. Instead of answering people's questions (stupid or not), the people responding find some way to take offense and start a war of words without ever helping out the person who requested it.

DR1, why do you let this continue? Isn't the message board to help people? I mean if these responders need to vent their negative attitudes, maybe they should find somewhere else to do it and stop wasting people's time that are looking to this board for information.

T

Tom

The Message board really needs less Bill Leslies

And his whining each time a post is made. informative or not, from one of his "black list. I tried to explain to DR1 Virgin" that his self admitted "yelling "fire" in a crowded theater promotes negative result, WHAT DID YOU ACCOMPLISH except self promotion?

Try your own theory before criticising others.

Tom