Transport strike Thursday 19th March!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Please be aware that there will be a transport strike from 6am to 6pm all over the east coast (so i am led to believe).

We all know that these things can get nasty with stones being hurled at cars and roads being set on fire, so please take care and do not even attempt to travel on the main routes to and from Punta Cana, Higuey and La Romana!

Feb 7, 2007
I haven't seen any real "huelga" in Higuey for a long time... last time when SD was paralyzed, Higuey was life as usual

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Please be aware that there will be a transport strike from 6am to 6pm all over the east coast (so i am led to believe).

We all know that these things can get nasty with stones being hurled at cars and roads being set on fire, so please take care and do not even attempt to travel on the main routes to and from Punta Cana, Higuey and La Romana!

you are in the wrong area with that writing.
totally agree to Rubio.
the last couple years the huelgas over here on the east run smooth since the tires been burned in a huelga a few years ago burned under the Vans of the fu... associsation which run the huelga.
the one for today will effect the transit from PC outwards, not the transportation within PC, people will get carried to the airport and from the airport to their hotel like usual, except that there will not be cabbies available, but the transfer busses and the prearranged private transfers will run like always.
excursions from punta cana to Saona island or santo domingo will not run, but touroperators aso got informed about that on time and did not book such for today, at least they shouldn't(heard about stupids this afternoon who did otherwise, lol).
right in PC you will not feel or see anything of it, would expect some check points with parked cabbies in the la otra banda area and higuey.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just an update:
so today is strike day.
down here in Cabeza de Toro no effects so far, at the hotels Catalonia and Dreams Palm Beach where i picked up customers myself this morning i saw numerous cabbies of Siutratural on work, they did not seem to be on any strike. my driver brought in the Van more clients from the Paradisus and Palladium hotels in Bavaro, nothing neither and also cabbies on the road on duty.
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
Higuey: No bus transportation in/out of Higuey and taxis within the city. Limited motoconcho traffic. Most stores and "negocios" closed, people are taking a day off. Just 1 sole person in a gym. Buses lined up in front of Basilica, will take some pics later this afternoon. Otherwise, things are calm.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
when driving to bavaro this afternoon i saw the trucks lined up around the crossing at Coco Loco, but nicely on the side, not bothering anybody. at Steve's bar a buddy of mine had an article on the screen which stated the strike is a huelga de transporte de cargo, that may expalin why the cabbies and transfer Vans/busses here in bavaro been on the road like usual today.
the only effect i felt driving on the road been a very positive one, b/c no big trucks been in the way today, ha ha
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
According to the linked article she was killed on Monday - the transport strike was today so that TV news report is BS.

Reactions: MikeFisher

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
According to the linked article she was killed on Monday - the transport strike was today so that TV news report is BS.

The linked article does not mention a "strike" at all.

I think that post should be deleted because it is pure misinformation!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
That is what I saw on CBS news at 6:00pm. If the news is wrong who knows?? They reported it that way, period.

This is quoted on their website. "Friends told the family they couldn't get an ambulance to the beach quick enough because drivers in the Dominican Republic are on strike." http://wcbstv.com/local/spring.break.death.2.963565.html

If the drivers were on a different strike, than I was wrong relating it the transport strike. Everybody can relax now.

Last edited:

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
That is what I saw on CBS news at 6:00pm. If the news is wrong who knows?? They reported it that way, period.

This is quoted on their website. "Friends told the family they couldn't get an ambulance to the beach quick enough because drivers in the Dominican Republic are on strike." N.J. Student Dies Mysteriously On Spring Break - wcbstv.com

If the drivers were on a different strike, than I was wrong relating it the transport strike. Everybody can relax now.

I can see what was reported but it is still misinformation since there was no other strike of any kind here this week.
I repeat, should be deleted because it cannot be related to any drivers or transport strike in the DR.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
not very intelligent article on that new york news, b/c it says absolutely nothing about any facts, just guessing.
how can it be named a boat accident?
sh'e been off the boat, standing in shallow water, taking her lifejacket off to wet her hair and then something happened to her.
sounds weird and with her friends tiogether with her that moment i would have expected that they would have seen something, i.e. if she had hit her head somewhere in or off the boat, such hit been mentioned in the first linked article on the thread.
sorry for the family's loss, but on that case are many questions to be answered.
the writing about not available paramedics due to astrike are a double BS. first of all the strike been today, second it did effect in PC just the big Trucks, the cargo transportation, and anyways paramedics/emergency medic staff is never involved in any strike.
in punta cana at no time since years any street been blocked by any strike, they park the striking vehicles at the crossings at the side of the road, no disturbing of private or medic traffic in any way. and the strike been TODAY.
i also wondered about the mentioning of a girl lifeguard trying to help aso, i may be wrong, but for me it would be a surprising news to hear that the Ocean Blue Resort has any lifeguards on duty, very unusual for the most resorts in Punta Cana.
the autopsie and questioning of the present friends will hopefully soon bring news in the circumstances, til now the articles are pure guessing and that new york article is a dangerous BS.
Mike

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
you are in the wrong area with that writing.
totally agree to Rubio.
the last couple years the huelgas over here on the east run smooth since the tires been burned in a huelga a few years ago burned under the Vans of the fu... associsation which run the huelga.
the one for today will effect the transit from PC outwards, not the transportation within PC, people will get carried to the airport and from the airport to their hotel like usual, except that there will not be cabbies available, but the transfer busses and the prearranged private transfers will run like always.
excursions from punta cana to Saona island or santo domingo will not run, but touroperators aso got informed about that on time and did not book such for today, at least they shouldn't(heard about stupids this afternoon who did otherwise, lol).
right in PC you will not feel or see anything of it, would expect some check points with parked cabbies in the la otra banda area and higuey.
Mike

My concern was not so much people not being able to catch public transport but that driving around during these strikes in your own vehicle can be dangerous.

La Sieba, La otra Banda and Higuey can become dangerous! Roads on fire, tear gas, burning tires and stones being thrown at vehicles.

Only a few hundred yards form me today was glass all over the street and burning tires, my nephew was also effected the other side of higuey with tear gas being thrown (not sure by whom).

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
My concern was not so much people not being able to catch public transport but that driving around during these strikes in your own vehicle can be dangerous.

La Sieba, La otra Banda and Higuey can become dangerous! Roads on fire, tear gas, burning tires and stones being thrown at vehicles.

Only a few hundred yards form me today was glass all over the street and burning tires, my nephew was also effected the other side of higuey with tear gas being thrown (not sure by whom).

So it seems i was not wrong!;)

I also think that it was an important thing to mention, Yes these things usually pass without problems but best to be informed and not drive blindly into a dangerous problem without cause.

With all respect Bavaro/Punta Cana is unlikely to experience the same type of mob behavior as places like Higuey.

Anyway i havent heard of any serious injuries or crazy behavior and was nice not to have the huge trucks passing the house all day.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
absolutely right on that.
better cautious than sorry,
and the streets without the trucks felt good today,
from that point of view i would allow them to dtrike 24/7, ha ha.
the last years we have on striking days here in PC the authorities on all mayor crosings from very early on, before the strikers start to show up, they can stop their vehicles in a nice manner and behave which includes that private traffic will not get bothered or they get their Vans.cabbies loaded on the Gruja and towed away. sure i can imagine that such runs in a different way in a city compared to an almost empty countryside area like PC, many nutheads at the same spot can bring a big mess and heat each others up til something escalades.
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
9.50 pm, Higuey is a dead city (outside)

There was some tires burning on the main streets and in barrios, saw some news reports cops running with shotguns rifles and pistols all over, but myself have not seen anything eyewitness.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
9.50 pm, Higuey is a dead city (outside)

There was some tires burning on the main streets and in barrios, saw some news reports cops running with shotguns rifles and pistols all over, but myself have not seen anything eyewitness.

Yes, isnt it fantastic! I can actually watch the T.V at a resonable volume without all that noise outside....lovely!