18 months to receive a title???

sstevens805

Nov 24, 2008
Hi,

My parents are in the middle of buying a property in Samana and have been told that it could take up to a year and a half to receive a title. I talked to the person acting as their agent and he explained that its not like the states and things are very slowly done in the D.R. I talked to a realtor friend here and he told me that doesnt sound right at all, even in Mexico once you purchase a piece of property the title is sent immediately. I am just concerned that they could be swindled.

Thanks,

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
You should be receiving this information from a lawyer you trust, not a real estate agent. The agent may very well be good, but you need to know the legal status of the property you are buying before you make an offer. We have bought several properties in the DR and none of the titles have taken more than a few months to be transferred into our names.

Reactions: J D Sauser

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Get used to getting a different answer to the same question....a quite common occurrance here. You could get the title quickly, it could also take a while, it depends on the property history. Sometimes heirs come out of the woodwork, claiming inheritance. Sometimes there a fraudulent titles. Sometimes its lazy judges or lawyers. Just make sure you get a good lawyer, and that my friend, is a harder thing that you can possibly imagine, to find, in this country.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Getting your title quickly and being swindled are not related. Buying property in the DR is not at all like the North American experience just like buying in the UK is different from North America. Ever heard of Gazumping? Or offers OVER $xxx? :ermm::ermm: Ownership in Mexico is also different.
In my experience I had the very same reservations as you. It's very important that your parents do "due diligence" before parting with any hard earned cash. Is the realty company an international name like Century21, ReMax? How long has that franchise/realtor been around in the area? Ask about them on this site. Is it a condo? Are there other owners? What was their experience, Lawyer references etc etc.
If the property is new and a tile has never been created prior to your parents purchasing it then yes it can take quite a while, up to a year in my case. If a title previously existed then that time frame can be much shorter. But then... re-read Conchman's reply.
When I asked my lawyer how can you expect me to turn all this cash over without a title he told me, "I give you the keys you have possession what is there to worry about?" :laugh::laugh::laugh:
But at some point you have to take a leap of faith and hope for the best.
Mack

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
We had the same concern

When we purchased our condo we had the same concern. It took 2 full years before we received our title but it is now in our hands.
We had a reputable lawyer and RE agent, both of them confirmed to us that the developpers had the title and that this title was in the hands of the lawyer (I think this is a must at least). But it still took 2 years to have the original title transfered to 39 condo owners. Things in the DR are totally different. Find out where the original title is and request written confirmation that the title does exist and where it is....
I know how you fell, handing over all that $$$$$ up front is scarry, in our case it worked out.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hi,

My parents are in the middle of buying a property in Samana and have been told that it could take up to a year and a half to receive a title. I talked to the person acting as their agent and he explained that its not like the states and things are very slowly done in the D.R. I talked to a realtor friend here and he told me that doesnt sound right at all, even in Mexico once you purchase a piece of property the title is sent immediately. I am just concerned that they could be swindled.

Thanks,

You should be receiving this information from a lawyer you trust, not a real estate agent. The agent may very well be good, but you need to know the legal status of the property you are buying before you make an offer. ...

Good advice!

Also keep in mind that we are going thru a land law/title reform and that many properties up for sale are not yet up to date with their title work. As of April, this year, ALL properties will need proper "deslinde" (translation: proper segregation approved by the land court) in order to be able to be sold. Obviously, the land courts are overwhelmed with "deslinde" applications and we are hearing of delays of a year, two years and even more. No "deslinde" - no title.

You might want to check the LEGAL section of this Forum. There are and have been many threads about this subject, one of which is a "sticky" on top, which may help you gain a better understanding of the procedures and requisites.

No, it sure ain't like in the States. But then, the idea is said to be to now make it a little more like in the real world.

... J-D.