Dominican Passport for eventual USA visa

mt_net

Mar 19, 2009
Saludos to all those on this board.

This is my first post and I am quite excited to have stumbled upon what appears to be a very energetic and involved bunch of people.

I post here because my question is legal in nature. Maybe someone has run across this issue and found out what it best in this case. Even if it may have been after the fact in their (your) case I could learn from the experience.

My Dominican bride and I marry in May. I am from the USA but been living here a long while. She is awaiting a name change on her cedula as the oldest record of her birth certificate is different than all her other papers, (current cedula, university diploma, etc.) In any case, she has not applied for a passport until she gets back her new cedula that will match the birth certificate.

At some point we would like to visit the family in the states but are not urgent for this. Obviously she would need a passport and a visa. My question is, is there an advantage in waiting until we have our marriage documented before applying for her passport or does this not matter at all?
Does a Dominican passport indicate marriage status?
What about for the American Consulate?
Would they prefer to see that she have a passport indicating she is married?

Any ideas on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
MT

woezy

Mar 5, 2009
i won't be able to help you with your quest since i'm just a PoP-lover as a tourist, but i do wanna wish you luck and say 'congratulations' :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do think that above all else you had better document your relationship as much as you can. Photos, certificates...the whole nine yards..

Do go to the consulate and talk to some one...get some answers. It will be somewhat of a struggle, but it is certainly doable..

HB

mt_net

Mar 19, 2009
How important is timing?

You guys are great!

I will keep you informed. The main issue right now we are trying to measure is the timing. When to start each process...

What has been your experience in using local professional help. (referring to abogados not buscones :tired:)

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
you didn't tell us about your financial status and none of us care, but you say your bride is a college graduate, does she have a good job? money in the bank? nice car in her name? her name on any real estate? it may be easier to just apply for a visitor visa............

mt_net

Mar 19, 2009
details and question on K3

Again, good stuff. I looked at the referenced site and it was definitely an eye opener. :surprised

Something that may be to our advantage is that we are not under pressure economically or otherwise to visit the States soon. Ideally we would like to have the option of visiting there when need be, for a friend's wedding, for vacation, a death in the family, stuff like that. Stuff that tends to be not super foreseeable.

My future wife is a Medical Doctor but has not acquired her specialty. Here in DR that seems to mean she is a "Licenciada" instead of a "Doctora." While she may study for a specialty, we are still undecided. She has had a stable (while not high-paying) job for the past 3-4 years. She is going to be leaving that and doing something else after we are married. Both of us are principally occupied in volunteer work.

Neither of us have substantial assets here in the country or elsewhere. How does money fit into the picture?

I am leaning for first trying the Visitor visa after we have been married a while. Then depending on how that goes, maybe a K3 in the future.

A question I have about the K3, that I did not see clearly addressed is: What happens after the traveler gets to the states and changes his/her status to legal permanent resident? (I see that this is required)

Is that it? Can they move about freely? Or do they have to wait a specific time before returning home to DR?

My biggest nightmare is getting trapped in the States due to immigration status restraints.

What do you say?
Matt

edm7583

May 29, 2007
My biggest nightmare is getting trapped in the States due to immigration status restraints.

What do you say?
Matt

You make it sound like doing prison time. Honestly, the INS is focused on the milions of people who want to come to the US to live and settle. The immigration laws were written for this and not designed to do anything for two people who have no intention of living in the US. You will get nothing but the cold shoulder from them.

the K class of visas (fiancee) are immigrant visas designed for people to join their American spouses to live in the US with them. If the American spouse chooses not to live in their own country, I don't now how this situation would qualify for this visa. (sorry, but I can't even comprehend the idea of someone who has the right to live in the US, whether a citizen, permanent resident, or someone who is eligible to get a green card and come here, yet chooses not to) This is probably equally puzzling to US immigration.

If the spouse wants to only visit the US, then the B2 non-immigrant visa is the only way to go, and she would have to meet the requirements that that visa entails.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
the law is not designed for the US citizen who

does not like to live in US and who wants to visit US with their spouse. This group of people is ****ed up by the law. The spouse normally cannot satisfy immigration intent test ( marry with US citizen, guilt with assosation ). The husband had hard time to sponsor green card application because of oversee residency. After get green card, spouse cannot leave US over one year. The question"how long have you been oversee " will be ask when in airport.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
windeguy, for those of us who can't live in the US it is difficult to understand why those who can choose not to. (I'm a US citizen but my same-sex partner is not, thus I was forced to leave the US to be with him. Marriage is not an option for us.) I've lived in 5 different countries and ache to return to my homeland but don't see it happening anytime soon.

US immigration law is totally off base with regard to your situation. It should be a no brainer. You are a US citizen and your wife should be able to travel with you to the States without question. I do hope you find a workable solution soon.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
money fits into the picture because when you go for your interview to obtain a tourist visa, if you tell the interviewer that you don't have any, it will be assumed that you want to go to the US and take gold off the streets, i.e. work..........if you show the interviewer that you have money/assets it will be assumed that you will return to the DR to take care of your money/assets.

dgebhardt

Mar 30, 2009
Get her enrolled in some sort of online distance education somewhere in the medical field. Make sure that program also offers ON CAMPUS classes and options. After she is in the online distance education program, she will then qualify for a student visa. DO NOT MENTION ON THE APPLICATION that YOU ARE A BOYFRIEND OR FIANCE//// SHE NEEDS TO MARK THAT SECTION AS SINGLE. YOU HAVE ONE SHOT AT THIS....

I would also strongly suggest that she travels to another country such as Peru, Mexico.... The US Embassy would like to see that she has traveled to other countries and that she has returned to DR.

If she owns a Car, House, and has money in the bank, THIS WILL get her approved.

Basically the US embassy wants to know that she has strong ties to the DR and that she WILL Return to the DR.

I just went through all of this. Took 2 1/2 years to get my Peruvian fiance a VISA.

The whole thing sucks. Here in PERU, there are more than 2,000 applicants daily. I think we paid about $130 for each embassy interview. SO you figure the math. This is a DAILY INCOME for the US GOVERNMENT OF $230,00 AND THIS IS ONLY PERU.....

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Guys, thanks for this website - this is great info!!

This is Talldrink's new adventure... so I have plenty to read up on!!

Dominicans to the USA - Index

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
chose not to

ah, that is nice, Edem 7583, that you so like the US-complete with the terror alerts, the recession, the incredibly fast pace, the segregated living enclaves,,,,,,,,,( to name a few of the reasons why I chose to live here) the snow, the cold, (a few more) the high cost of housing (the kicker)....

But remember that there are lots of folks on this board who are Americans and who have chosen to come and live here.... see many other threads.....

To the OP, from what I hear - and this is rumour only- the US Embassy simply does not give fiancee visas. The fee will be, as one responder said, a contribution to Uncle Sam.

And if your sweetie has a good job, land, a car, an apartment, or 10kUS in the bank in local money, has been to Spain or somewhere and come back-- then she is more than likely going to get the multiple entry US visa. Which - it seems - is all that you want.

Lots and lots of Dominicans have them. And for lots of us Gringo/as it is one of the prerequisites for dating a Dominican.. We say "and they already have their visa"

One hopes that you have throughly read the Mars and Venus forum posts?

if not, proceed there for the dose of cold water.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
To the OP, from what I hear - and this is rumour only- the US Embassy simply does not give fiancee visas. The fee will be, as one responder said, a contribution to Uncle Sam.

This is not true. There are plenty of people that come with fiancee visas. Yes, some are initially denied, but there are plenty of folks that come over and marry here.

This is what I'm planning to do myself. From what I understand, it is faster to have them come to the US with this process rather than marrying first.

mt_net

Mar 19, 2009
Time married before visa request?

I've been working more than usual the past weeks so had not noticed that my original post had drawn so many replies. An awesome resource! Thank you so much!

It looks as shooting for the multiple entrance tourist visa may be our best shot. We will make detailed effort in our preparations so this may have the happiest of outcomes.

An additional related question: How does the time married before applying for the VISA affect our chances? I am assuming if we go straight from the Oficialia to the Consulate it makes it tougher, right?

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that prefers LIVING in DR compared to usa. Nothing against the States, I was born there. :cheeky: Don't mind visiting and very well may live there again someday.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've been working more than usual the past weeks so had not noticed that my original post had drawn so many replies. An awesome resource! Thank you so much!

It looks as shooting for the multiple entrance tourist visa may be our best shot. We will make detailed effort in our preparations so this may have the happiest of outcomes.

An additional related question: How does the time married before applying for the VISA affect our chances? I am assuming if we go straight from the Oficialia to the Consulate it makes it tougher, right?

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that prefers LIVING in DR compared to usa. Nothing against the States, I was born there. :cheeky: Don't mind visiting and very well may live there again someday.

If she applies for the multi-entrance tourist Visa before you are married make sure she indicates that she has no relatives in the USA.