Convenient restaurant in Samana to meet cruise ship friends

Michan

Jan 24, 2009
Could anyone recommend a convenient restaurant in Samana to establish as a meeting point for friends arriving on a cruise ship? We need to set up a location before they leave on their cruise so that we can drive over from Santiago to visit for a little while. It would be great if there was something close enough that they would not need a taxi to reach. They will arrive on a Sunday, on the NCL cruise line and should arrive at the port area of Samana via tenders. We would like a place where we can spend a couple of hours eating lunch and letting the kids play together while the old timers catch up on old times, drink a few beers and tell a few lies.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are several restaurants right across the road from the malec?n where the boats are likely to dock. One is called La Mata Rosada and there is another one on the corner right by Kim Beddall's office but can't remember what it's called.

Michan

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks Chirimoya and Rick!

Thank you both for your ideas. Now I am intrigued as to what the name of that restaurant beside of Kim Beddall's office! I have been asking around and three names have popped up, El Sabor Saman?s, Xaman?, and La Mata Rosada (that Chirimoya had mentioned before). Any of these names ring a bell??

Thanks again folks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It might be El Bamb?, but I'm not 100%. IMO: varied menu, good prices, OK food.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Could anyone recommend a convenient restaurant in Samana to establish as a meeting point for friends arriving on a cruise ship? We need to set up a location before they leave on their cruise so that we can drive over from Santiago to visit for a little while. It would be great if there was something close enough that they would not need a taxi to reach. They will arrive on a Sunday, on the NCL cruise line and should arrive at the port area of Samana via tenders. We would like a place where we can spend a couple of hours eating lunch and letting the kids play together while the old timers catch up on old times, drink a few beers and tell a few lies.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Are you sure that your friends will be able to meet up with you on shore from their cruise ship? We went to meet a couple of close friends some time ago and, having left home at 6 am to get there in good time, we were disappointed as they were unable to just get a tender to join us and we weren't able to get to them as the 'island' was restricted to cruise ship passengers only on that day. We took photos of the ship just to prove we had been there for a rendevous but we didn't get to meet up.

Michan

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks Whirleybird.

I appreciate you pointing that out. Actually, I had searched DR1 prior to posting and had ran across someone who had experienced what you have described (maybe was your post?, I don't recall the poster now). I had contacted the cruisers about this and they in turn had contacted the cruise line to be sure that they would actually visit Samana proper and not some nearby area. They were assured that they would take tenders into Samana itself, not any other area, sea conditions permitting. But, thanks to your post reminding me, I think that I will also contact the cruise line just to be sure. I would hate to drag the whole group down there for a disappointment.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I appreciate you pointing that out. Actually, I had searched DR1 prior to posting and had ran across someone who had experienced what you have described (maybe was your post?, I don't recall the poster now). I had contacted the cruisers about this and they in turn had contacted the cruise line to be sure that they would actually visit Samana proper and not some nearby area. They were assured that they would take tenders into Samana itself, not any other area, sea conditions permitting. But, thanks to your post reminding me, I think that I will also contact the cruise line just to be sure. I would hate to drag the whole group down there for a disappointment.

We forgot to exchange mobile phone numbers but would suggest that you confirm when they actually drop anchor in Samana bay. Our friends were also assured they would be able to get ashore but were then restricted to organised trips only.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
Rinconcito View is a little further away but they offer free internet and have free Wi-Fi as well. Also they have free phone calls to the US and Canada for all customers. The food is good and the beer is cold.

Michan

Jan 24, 2009
Meetup complete

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We ended up meeting our cruising friends as their tender arrived (directly in front of the restaurant Xamana) and drove down to the restaurant "Bambu". It is a standard open-air dominican restaurant with standard fare. The food was average-to-good and the prices were fine. We paid about $ 4500rd for lunch and a few beers for about 10 people. They set up a couple of long tables together for us and we had a nice time catching up with some old friends. It worked out very well for our purposes.

One important note is that the cruise ship passengers were not subject to any type of customs inspection on this trip. Our friends had anticipated this and brought a lot of nifty presents for us and the kids including an xbox 360, two laptop computers, a 32 inch LCD tv, and lots of other incidentals. They carried the large items in duffle-type backpacks but we saw that other cruise passengers even have had suitcases with them. They all disembarked without any aduana checks whatsoever.

Last edited:

Michan

Jan 24, 2009
Ok, now I've got it. Here are the photos.

feqoax.jpg

fy3hab.jpg

fkv2ub.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Michan, I'm really glad it worked out. It is much appreciated when someone comes back to a thread to report on the usefulness (or otherwise) of our advice. Quite a few posters never bother!

Michan

Jan 24, 2009
Thank you Chirimoya.

I really appreciate you and the other posters who took their time to respond to my inquiries and helped to make our rendezvous successful. I agree about the responsibility of the OP to at least report back on the results of such a post. It tends to validate the information that is offered. This message board is a great resource and I hope that my post will also provide help for someone else in the same situation in the future.

Thanks again everyone!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
chaos

I'm really at a loss as to the purpose of your posting but I can assure you that you missed the mark by miles.

Thanks Michan for your contributions.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
samana

Sorry Gregg for the sarcasm. It was just really nice to see someone enjoy a cold beer in the sunshine. My point in my whole rant is that in the states, you can't do much of anything anymore, including drinking in public. That is why I love the DR and its laid back attitude.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Sorry Gregg for the sarcasm. It was just really nice to see someone enjoy a cold beer in the sunshine. My point in my whole rant is that in the states, you can't do much of anything anymore, including drinking in public. That is why I love the DR and its laid back attitude.

Now that - I understand - LOL.

Gregg
Mod.

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Plenty of various and convenient Restaurants and Bars to meet in the Town of Samana

I am posting this way after this question was asked back in 2009, but nowadays there is even more nice Restaurants and Bars in the Town of Samana to gather and meet friends from cruise ships.

Just to name a few : Bambu, Taberna, Mata Rosada, Cafe de Paris, Bahia Azul are all conveniently located by the Malecon and the Marina of Samana.

You will find a lot of useful information and a great detailled map of the Town of Samana at :

Go Samana | Dominican Republic - The village of Samana

;) Enjoy our paradise !
Jon