Shorts and flip flops- it must be a gringo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
This is not a joke when i am giving a plea do all you gringos in santiago to stop strutting around town with your shorts, flip flops and muscle tank tops. YOU GUYS stick out like a sore thumb. Please look around and notice that here in the DR your baywatch attire is for the beach only.

Just last week i am eating at a nice place near the monument and in walks joe gringo in his shorts and sandles wearing a black tank top and a baseball hat. He thought he looked so good and made sure and talked loud when he entered to let everyone know he was in the house.

I know people are going to say its his choice what to wear and what do i care. Well i care because its guys like that and all the other beach bum dressing david hasselhoff wanabes giving the rest of americans a bad image.ok wear your shorts in the streets during the day if you really need to. your on vacation and you need to relax. But can you please just put on a pair of jeans and even a t-shirt when you go out to eat or to a bar at night.

If you want to wear shorts your whole vacation take some advice and stay at a AI or at a tourist town like sosua where you and your flip flops will fit in just fine.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
And your point is? How did this person manner of dress adversely effect you? Though I personally would not wear shorts in Santiago or Santo Domingo(especially at a restaurant in the evening), If I saw a fellow gringo who did I certainly wouldn't let it bother me or make an issue of it. To each his own. (p.s. I think we stick out anyway even with dress pants :)

Last edited by a moderator:

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
And your point is? How did this person manner of dress adversely effect you? Though I pwersonally would not wear shorts in Santiago or Santo Doming (especially at a restaurant in the evening), If I saw a fellow gringo who did I certainly wouldn't let it bother me or make an issue of it. To each his own. (p.s. I think we stick out anyway even with dress pants :)

Thats the point it does effect me. This is one of the reasons most middle class and above dominicans think that all gringos are sloppy dressed clowns. And it doesnt bother me in a bad way just in a boy you look stupid gringo type of way. True you can wear what you want but you need to use a little better judgement when you go in to a nice restaurant at night.

And my opinions are mostly to let these short wearing guys know that it is not a proper way to dress unless at the beach or at a resort. I bet many tourist are not even aware of this fashion no-no in the DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I see these clowns all the time in santiago. What is this thing with young college american girls carrying a huge backpack? These girls are not even backpacking but seems like its a fashion thing, carrying a huge backpack. I see this girl in plaza internacional all the time. She was living here but she had to have a huge backpack when she would step out to the street.
This looks so dumb and lame, seeing gringos do gringo things in a town where their style doesn't fit.
AZB

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I see it all the time to but lately it seems to be getting worse. The guy I was talking about last week walks in to this restaurant looking like he's ready to go surfing, while the much younger very attractive Dominican girl looked very nice in a black stylish dress. I don't know how she allowed this guy to take her out looking like that. He even had the semi-red sunburn legs.

Last edited by a moderator:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I see these clowns all the time in santiago. What is this thing with young college american girls carrying a huge backpack? These girls are not even backpacking but seems like its a fashion thing, carrying a huge backpack. I see this girl in plaza internacional all the time. She was living here but she had to have a huge backpack when she would step out to the street.
This looks so dumb and lame, seeing gringos do gringo things in a town where their style doesn't fit.
AZB

Maybe she thought her personal possessions were more secure if she took everything with her.

The only way she could be sure they would not rob her things at home when she went out. ;)

Don SantiagoDR

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Your attitude toward and respect for other people is more important than what you wear. Loud, obnoxious behavior is inexcusable. Wearing what is comfortable for you and may not be what others would wear is. When and if you see me in santiago or anywhere in the DR I will have my shorts and button-up short sleaved shirt untucked and will be minding my own business, as should you. This is how I dress at home and will let no expat or dominican tell me otherwise or make me feel inferior for doing so.

Reactions: mike l

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Thats the point it does effect me. This is one of the reasons most middle class and above dominicans think that all gringos are sloppy dressed clowns. And it doesnt bother me in a bad way just in a boy you look stupid gringo type of way. True you can wear what you want but you need to use a little better judgement when you go in to a nice restaurant at night.

And my opinions are mostly to let these short wearing guys know that it is not a proper way to dress unless at the beach or at a resort. I bet many tourist are not even aware of this fashion no-no in the DR.

Seems the nice restaurant is not so nice and a lot of D.R. nice restaurants are not aware of this no-no fashion either.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I see it all the time to but lately it seems to be getting worse. The guy I was talking about last week walks in to this restaurant looking like he's ready to go surfing, while the much younger very attractive Dominican girl looked very nice in a black stylish dress. I don't know how she allowed this guy to take her out looking like that. He even had the semi-red sunburn legs.

The guy was on vacation and the girl was working, that's it.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
This is not a joke when i am giving a plea do all you gringos in santiago to stop strutting around town with your shorts, flip flops and muscle tank tops. YOU GUYS stick out like a sore thumb. Please look around and notice that here in the DR your baywatch attire is for the beach only.

Just last week i am eating at a nice place near the monument and in walks joe gringo in his shorts and sandles wearing a black tank top and a baseball hat. He thought he looked so good and made sure and talked loud when he entered to let everyone know he was in the house.

I know people are going to say its his choice what to wear and what do i care. Well i care because its guys like that and all the other beach bum dressing david hasselhoff wanabes giving the rest of americans a bad image.ok wear your shorts in the streets during the day if you really need to. your on vacation and you need to relax. But can you please just put on a pair of jeans and even a t-shirt when you go out to eat or to a bar at night.

If you want to wear shorts your whole vacation take some advice and stay at a AI or at a tourist town like sosua where you and your flip flops will fit in just fine.

Maybe some people dont give a rats a$$ about "image" and just want to be comfortable. I for one could care less what anyone else thinks about me or what im wearing... it's their problem, not mine.

Why should someone "have" to wear jeans just because it makes someone else uncomfortable to see them comfortable.......

I swear, some people....

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the person was on holiday from a cold climate.....I mean please you need to lighten up- would you prefer he was sweating his bollocks off so to speak just to please the fashion police

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
JR, I guess some people are more concerned with 'class' than others.
Especially if they have struggled in the bottom end of society in their home country and want to project a classy image rather than develop a classy persona from the ground up by being a classy person - you know, decent, honest, modest etc.

These are the same people who would not let Jesus in the restaurant with his bad hair cut and his sandals, but Hitler would be fine in his nice shiny boots.

I think they feel less comfortable as they are themselves 'lower class' in their own eyes and want desperately to be thought of as classy - the only way they know to do this is to appear appalled about other people's choices.

In another thread, AZB talks about the inappropriate behavior of some rich guy taking a girl from the Barrio to Punta Cana on a private jet. I can understand this - horses for courses etc. - but it just shows a real lack of 'class', all this trying to be 'classy'.
These guys are fooling nobody but themselves.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Meanwhile they are supporting your local economy by eating in reastaurants and drinking in bars, so look the other way and STFU!

It's really not that big of a deal, how does it reflect on you?

Reactions: cobraboy

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Your attitude toward and respect for other people is more important than what you wear. Loud, obnoxious behavior is inexcusable. Wearing what is comfortable for you and may not be what others would wear is. When and if you see me in santiago or anywhere in the DR I will have my shorts and button-up short sleaved shirt untucked and will be minding my own business, as should you. This is how I dress at home and will let no expat or dominican tell me otherwise or make me feel inferior for doing so.

I dont know if you love in the sticks in iowa or what but in NewYork we dont wear shorts and flip flops in a nice restaurant at night.And i never implied people in shorts are inferior, just trying to advise guys who dont know about this rule of thumb in the DR. And as far as wearing what is comfortable goes even in the states we are forced to dress accordingly for certain types of functions. weddings, church,corporate meetings, A NIGHT OUT AT A NICE RESTAURANT etc.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
the person was on holiday from a cold climate.....I mean please you need to lighten up- would you prefer he was sweating his bollocks off so to speak just to please the fashion police
I myself dont care about the fashion police myself. But i do have a little self-respect for my self in public.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
JR, I guess some people are more concerned with 'class' than others.
Especially if they have struggled in the bottom end of society in their home country and want to project a classy image rather than develop a classy persona from the ground up by being a classy person - you know, decent, honest, modest etc.

These are the same people who would not let Jesus in the restaurant with his bad hair cut and his sandals, but Hitler would be fine in his nice shiny boots.

I think they feel less comfortable as they are themselves 'lower class' in their own eyes and want desperately to be thought of as classy - the only way they know to do this is to appear appalled about other people's choices.

In another thread, AZB talks about the inappropriate behavior of some rich guy taking a girl from the Barrio to Punta Cana on a private jet. I can understand this - horses for courses etc. - but it just shows a real lack of 'class', all this trying to be 'classy'.
These guys are fooling nobody but themselves.
Speak for yourself as what lower social class you may come from.I am far from lower class and dont think i am high class either, and dont pretend to be. But i do have enough class rather in ny or the DR to know when to and not to wear flip flop and tank tops in certain situations.

And please dont compare a situation of jesus with that of a american who chooses to dress like a show clown in public.

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
chill

why are people taking such an offense to the original(first) post. if you really don't care what people think...you wouldn't care to explain yourself to everyone about not caring what people think of you. everyone has their own opinion. we live in society....and if people really don't care about what other ppl think of the way they dress then run naked and wild....but no ur not gona do that beacaue "what is everyone gonna think"...sooo chill out...enjoy the ocean breeezeee....have some brugal..and smilee.:cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.