Mysterious bottles

A

Alexandra

My boyfriend is Dominicano and I am American and we live in the United States. When Felipe returns from a visit to the Dominican Republic, he brings home in his bag cologne bottles in the box they come in and the box is wrapped like a christmas present to get through customs. I found the cologne bottles in the closet and looked at them. There is a strange mixture in the bottles and I've been warned by him not to touch them. Can any of you explain this to me? What is in the bottles? Is it part of the culture there?

S

Susan

Strange mixture, huh? Does he apply this mixture? If so, it could be a "despojo" (pronounced des-po-ho). It's a mix of liquids (ie. water, holy water), herbs, roots and misc. ingrediants relating to santeria. Santeria is white magic and is used for good. The despojo's can be used to bring good luck, romance and anything else the person wants. I have a couple of recipes for romance, stress-relief and a special one for the New Year. If this is what your boyfriend has in the bottles, I wouldn't be worried. There's only one way to find out though. Ask him!

X

X

There is also a root that is mixed in with Dominican rum and
then typically let to age, this mixture
makes a very spicy drink.. It is called/pronounced
ma-ma-ja-wan-ah I don't know the spelling of it..

A

Alexandra

LOL.......So at least he's not smuggling marijuana into the country.....it's just mamajuana.

E

ECH, M.D.

Don't laugh so quick.....you don't have to smuggle mamajuana. So what is it and why so secreative? The red flags are up. Pay attention to them.

S

Susan

I agree. Besides, I've never heard of anyone putting mamajuana in perfume bottles. It sounded a lil fishy to me from the beginning.

A

Alexandra

What do you all think I should do? He is not willing to talk about what is in the bottles. I agree with Susan that it could possibly be despojo. Sometimes when he showers he takes the bottles into the bathroom and afterward the bathroom has an ethyl alcohol type of smell. Is despojo put directly on to the body? I'm trying to understand why he remains so secretive about it and why does he have to sneak the bottles through customs? I always try to understand his culture and where he is coming from in certain situations, so why is it such a secret? I just don't want to be held responsible for his actions.

T

tgf

Well, let's assume that the bottles do contain botanicals used as despojos. Vodun (voodoo) as its traditionally called in the Dominican Republic) or Santeria (which is commonly found in Cuban and Puerto Rican communities but could have been introduced to Dominicans living in the U.S) is not viewed positively by most Dominicans. Unlike in Haiti, where vodun is viewed as both having positive (white) and negative (black) religious components, this syncretic religion (mixture of Yoruba, Bantu, and Catholic components combined into a new form of religious expression) is viewed by most Dominicans as being evil or a form of black magic. It is looked down upon as being something Haitians do but not real Dominicans. Herbal healers (curanderos) are fine as long as they don't utilize incantations to anyone but God, Jesus, and the Saints. Vodun potions are viewed as black magic and the invocations to the lwa or orishas would not be considered proper or acceptable by most religious Dominicans. Your boyfriend could be embarrassed to let on to you that he believes in the power of these potions to enhance his abilities. Alcohol certainly is an ingredient in many despojos. Many of the lwa or orishas favor rum as offerings.

Another point, a relationship without open communication and trust is not a solid one. Perhaps more effort should be made on your part to find out what, and for what purpose, is the liquid in the bottles used for. If he refuses to tell you, you can ask if these are despojos and that you won't think it's silly if they are or perhaps they are something illegal(?) and you are afraid of going to jail. You will be held responsible for what is in a house if raided by the police, even if you really are ignorant of the fact that the house contains these illegal items.

A

Alexandra

I could see where he could be embarrassed to tell me, but he should know after three years that I embrace different cultures....in fact I find them fascinating. I wouldn't ridicule him but if these mixtures are such good luck, then let me in on the secret so I can benefit as well! Do you know of a list of specific ingredients used to make despojos? Which could be the illegal ingredient if any? I am concerned about why he has to sneak them through customs....what happens to him if they search him and find them? Or what happens to me if the house were to be raided?

Thank you all for your help.

E

ECH, M.D.

to Tgf

I found your post very very interesting and most informative. Congratulations on an extremely well written article!

S

Susan

I've never heard nor used anything illegal in a despojo. They're used to bring good things therefore nothing evil should go into preparing them. Most ingrediants are household items or purchased in a botanica, which is a specialty store. Maybe you could sneak one of the bottles and take it to your local botanica. I'm sure they could tell you what's in it. By the way, I sometimes put cinnamon sticks in my perfume to give it a spicer smell and that has nothing to do with santeria. I'm also thinking that maybe they're not despojo's at all but some kind of medication. You can get your hands on lots of drugs in DR that are not avail. here in the states. My dad once asked me to bring him a bottle of callous remover. Innocent enough, right? Well, what he didn't tell me was that the main ingrediant was some deadly acid. Thank God I didn't get caught! Good luck.

N

Natasha

Re: a most interesting thread :)

I also think it might be a despojo, specially after you write that he takes the bottle to the bathroom when he showers :) Pay attention to what TGF writes. He is on the mark on this, as our professional anthropologist and knowledgeable contributor on this board.

Regards,
Natasha

T

tgf

Re: Contents (Alexandra)

First of all - to ECH and Natasha - thank you for the kind words.

Alexandra, I agree with Susan that most botanical components of despojos are normally not illegal (nor dangerous if consumed in small quantities). I am not an ethnobotanist but I do know that certain herbal remedies do contain natural chemical components that can do damage physically if consumed in large amounts or over long periods. There have been some articles to this effect recently in Dominican papers. That is neither here nor there. The reason that your boyfriend might be hiding the bottles from customs agents is that they have vegetable matter in them that is not sterilized. Mamajuana (roots and leaves, etc.) is normally not seized by U.S. Customs but it could be under existing laws. No fruits, vegetables, seeds, or soils that have not been sterilized or decontaminated are considered risks to U.S. agriculture. Canned or processed foodstuffs are fine. Live fruits, raw meats and vegetables, or fish are seized. Despojos and mamajuana fall into a dubious legal status. Perhaps hence the deception on the part of your boyfriend.

I do not mean to worry you but what I posted above about what is found in your home being your responsibility no matter who brings it in is true in most states. I was not writing about despojos in this instance. If, for instance, and I am not insinuating anything to that effect, illegal drugs were in those bottles, and your home was raided by police, both you and your boyfriend would be held equally responsible unless he claimed the items to be solely his. That's why you should talk to your boyfriend and find out what is really in those bottles - to put your mind at ease. There have been cases where cocaine has been dissolved in liquids such as alcohol and carried through customs. I am NOT stating that this is the case but I want you to know all the possibilities. I wish you well. I bet that those despojos are used/designed to increase a male's virility or to enhance one's attractiveness to the opposite sex. Both good reasons to be embarrassed to tell one's girlfriend why you use it.

A

Alexandra

Thank you for all of your help. Tgf, you are very knowledgable and have cleared up most of the mystery....Is there any safe way to dispose of the bottles? Will it interfere with any purpose that he was using the bottles for such as good luck? I want to respect his belongings, but he is out of the country, refuses to talk about them so I have to protect myself. I just pray he doesn't bring more back with him..........

S

Sonny

Re: Mysterious bottles/question for TGF

A very interesting and informative post you've made TGF,now after reading it you make me wonder if you have known someone involved in Vodun or have perhaps experienced something like this before? Either way the subject is quite interesting.

Sonny

T

tgf

I doubt that the bottles themselves are of importance, it is the elixir inside that would normally be important. I think the bottles could be safely trashed or washed out and recycled. However, doing this without telling your boyfriend might upset him.

T

tgf

Re: Mysterious bottles/question for TGF

Personally, I have not worked with any Vodun practitioners. I have read quite a bit about religious practices in the Caribbean since I teach courses on Caribbean Peoples and Cultures. My own area of interest is applied anthropology, issues of development, and social impact assessment. Several of my colleagues and friends have worked closely with practitioners of Vodun, Santeria, and Shango. They have very interesting views on the subject. An important thing to remember is forget what you see on television and movies - zombies and human sacrifices. That's a load of bull. In Haiti members of the Catholic church often are also practitioners of Voodoo. Members of the Catholic clergy often use Voodoo concepts in their own sermons. The vast majority of believers in Vodun, Santeria, or Shango believe in the good that these religions provide. They believe that these practices enhance their lives and the lives of those around them. For more information several of the classic texts on alternative religions in the Caribbean are by Alfred Metraux, William Bascom, and George Simpson. There's a lot of information on the subject - you just have to be able to winnow out the good from the misleading.

W

Wayne Spivey

This has been a very fascinating and educational thread in regard to Voodoo. On another note it appears to me that openess and honesty should be the foundation for a healthy relationship as stated above in one of the responses. I would ask him face to face and if he doesn't talk I would let him walk.