Visa?

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I'm planning an extended stay in DR (3 months). I read it will cost $1000RD to overstay my tourist card by 1-3 months ... is it necessary to get a VISA? What is cheaper?

Thanks!

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I'm planning an extended stay in DR (3 months). I read it will cost $1000RD to overstay my tourist card by 1-3 months ... is it necessary to get a VISA? What is cheaper?

Thanks!

I am pretty sure your entrance stamp into the country is the Visitor's Visa which you get by paying for the Tourist Card (15 US$). I am not sure what you mean by "is it necessay to get a VISA".

Be ready to pay 800 RD or 1000 RD, depending on the length of your overstay, when you exit. If you overstay 1-2 months (60-90 days) Have exact change of 800 RD, as they will not have change of a 1000 RD Note.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
When I overstayed my visa by less than one month I was charged RD$1000. It seemed high to me so I contested it. The agent assured me it was correct. I asked for a factura (invoice) and, surprisingly, got one. It's not a big deal, just make sure you have some cash on you when you leave, preferably in pesos.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
When I overstayed my visa by less than one month I was charged RD$1000. It seemed high to me so I contested it. The agent assured me it was correct. I asked for a factura (invoice) and, surprisingly, got one. It's not a big deal, just make sure you have some cash on you when you leave, preferably in pesos.

You paid too much. Hmm. Imagine that happening in DR. :cheeky:

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
You paid too much. Hmm. Imagine that happening in DR. :cheeky:

Shocking, isn't it?! ;)

I knew I was paying too much and thought that by asking for an official factura they would get scared off. No such luck! I got reimbursed for the cost by my company, so I decided not to fight it!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To avoid being overcharged, would be a good idea to print out a copy of the rates. And you could always ask to see an inspector at the airport. Could have been you stayed 3 months, then the rates says RD$1,000.
:: Tarifas