Traveling to Haiti by car

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
What are the requirements to travel to Haiti by car?
I am traveling to Haiti by car, Can any one tell me if I need to pre register my car with customs or Police in Santo Domingo, before crossing the border? I have heard of people that have been turned back because they did not have the proper paper work for there vehicle.
Does the car need to be registered in my name?
Please help.

Thks.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I've heard you need permission from your insurance company to take the car to Haiti, which you get by waiving your rights in case the car gets stolen or damaged while in Haiti.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
I've heard you need permission from your insurance company to take the car to Haiti, which you get by waiving your rights in case the car gets stolen or damaged while in Haiti.

That's strange... why should you advise your insurance if you waive your rights to any claim???

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i've been through all these headaches for 2 haiti trips.

Save yourself a lot of time and money (and be MUCH safer) by catching caribe tours and then renting a car while you're there.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
I know all of you guys have good intentions, but are not really helping me out here.I need to go to Haiti, by car! Caribe tour and Flying or not an option for different reasons. I just need to know the formalities to cross the border with my car. Thanks.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
That's strange... why should you advise your insurance if you waive your rights to any claim???

From what i understand you need your insurance company's permission to take your car across the border, and they won't give it to you unless you waive your rights to any claim which might occur while the car is in Haiti. My understanding is that whoever controls the border (police, military...) won't let you cross the border with the car without the insurer's written permission, which again, you get by waiving your rights to any claims.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Liam:

Are you posting from experience or "speculation", you have a habit posting opinions as facts on DR1.

Remember the car insurance/driver license thread?
This is just another example.

The OP asked a serious question, and is better off with no answer than a BS one. If you have never crossed the border in your car, why are you providing the board with fiction?

Enough already, this really does not help anyone.

t'

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
T please learn to read! I said "I've heard", and I've heard from a friend who's gone to Haiti with his car. Honestly i find most of your "I'm here to help" posts to be very inaccurate and BS, therefore i just skip them and don't call them BS, i refrain myself from that because I have more civility than that. Have a nice day.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
You are right Adrian this is a serious question and I would rather a confirmed answer then speculation. Liam, I know you are trying to help. In fact, thanks to your post I did contact my insurance company "Seguros Universal" and they told me that I need to advise them each time I travel to Haiti. After contacting a supervisor he explained to me that if I plan on going on a regular base for NO EXTRA FEE he could add Haiti permanently to my coverage. YES , I am fully covered in Haiti.
NO this is not a requirement at the border. I am still investigating other formalities and so far I found out that I do need to get some sort of a certification from the police that the car is not stolen. Any other info is welcome. I would hate to drive back after driving there for 4 hours.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Not a formality, but make sure your suspension is nice and beefy.
Shocks, springs and bushings.
Set off early and make sure you take a camera - whichever route you travel.
Have fun!