"NY greed" to kill Cabarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
These people promoting the development are no friends to the visitors or residents of Cabarete. I hope they don't find the support they want by sending out their propaganda to DR1 & elsewhere.

Absolutely horrible to think that in a town as small as Cabarete someone would build a 9 story monstrosity. They've got money on their minds & no thoughts at all of the ambiance that is (was) Cabarete or how it will move Cabarete toward an undesireable location. A serious zoning or town commission would never consider something like this in a developed country... heck, they'd never have to because it would never be proposed.

Keep them at no more than 3 levels within 1km either way of center of town. Cabarete's a 1 road town that is already heavily congested at times with traffic & lack of parking. There's miles & miles of undeveloped oceanfront.... put 9 stories elsewhere.

The developer wants to take x amount of square meters & make $$$ by selling an extra 6 levels of apts, hotel, and/or retail space. I understand it, but I don't like it. Take it somewhere else.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
DR1News said:
... "The need for additional height is not motivated by greed, but rather, by the need to provide visitors and homeowners with the view and experience befitting a four-star location. The Fountains location has one drawback - it does not feature a beachfront - and under the current law a three-story project would not have a view of the ocean. In fact a three-story building constructed on our site would feature a view of the four-story structures across the street. The resulting views from the proposed height increase will provide The Fountains its greatest asset and usher in the next evolution in Cabarete's growth," he argues.

I'll call bullchit on that. Such a pitiful argument. Every reason given can be summarized by saying 'we want to bend the rules so we can sell more square meters & as much with ocean view as possible and we make more money if we go 9 stories high'.

You knew there were height restrictions when you bought the land. Live with it. Don't f*** up Cabarete for everyone in order for you to make more $$$ on the development.

rdidwhat

Aug 6, 2008
Hi all,

I've experienced firsthand the the horrible company that is Sackman Enterprises.

Years ago they owned my building called The Harborview at 3315 Pleasant Ave in Union City, New Jersey. This building is a 6 story building overlooking the highway leading to/from the Lincoln Tunnel going into the NYC.

The building has a huge sign which is owned by the building and leased to CBS.

Sackman enterprises signed a 99 year lease for over 100k upfront and 2k/month for the rest of the 99 years. This sign is prime time advertising space and could easily go for over 5k per month being that thousands of cars see it every day as they are leaving NYC.

Sackman than condo-ized the building, sold about 100 of the 125 or so units, took the money from the roof replacement fund plus the money for the sign and left the building bankrupt.

The remaining 25 units under their management have not been repaired or painted in at least 10 years because they are rent controlled and the people in them are very old and are afraid to be kicked out.

I personally know an old guy who lives in one of these units and there are holes in his walls with mushrooms growing out of them, the refrigerator leaks water and the oven and dishwasher haven't been fixed in over 5 years. Sackman refuses to make any repairs whatsoever on these apartments.

The new Condo Association had to take them to court for many years to get some money back and to get a fair contract resigned with CBS for the Advertisement fan.

Sackman is so bad that one time I called them because a toilet seat on an extremely old toilet broke and they didn't want to send someone to replace it. They wanted the tenant to replace it and bill them for the money. The only problem was that the man is in his 80's.

If anyone needs more information so that they can fight this pm me.

They should be stopped if possible.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As usual in any development, there are positives and negatives. As a person who works in the development sector, it is rare not to get negative response for new development wherever it may be.

Furthermore, it is only inevitable that there will be increasing growth anywhere where there is substantial interest and tourism. You can go anywhere in the world and see this, the US included. Laws are constantly changed and modified to allow more development and higher density.

Mar 2, 2008
"As usual in any development, there are positives and negatives."

You didn't mention what the positives are. What are they?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How could you forget all the "incentives" for the "low-ranking government officials" mentioned in the article? Positive for them, anyway.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
100% of the time new development is opposed by some people the world over, many times with no real reason other than people have nothing better to do than try to prevent others from progressing in whatever way shape and form. Certainly there are legitimate concerns and reasons with some planned developments.

However, in the matter of development of the coastal areas of the DR, the DR gov't. is pro investment and development and more and more will come and those who buy in these areas should be prepared for the inevitable. This isn't so odd, just look at what has happened to Florida in the last 30 years - that with a much more professional and thorough permitting process than the DR.

Mar 2, 2008
"100% of the time new development is opposed by some people the world over, many times with no real reason other than people have nothing better to do than try to prevent others from progressing in whatever way shape and form. Certainly there are legitimate concerns and reasons with some planned developments.

However, in the matter of development of the coastal areas of the DR, the DR gov't. is pro investment and development and more and more will come and those who buy in these areas should be prepared for the inevitable. This isn't so odd, just look at what has happened to Florida in the last 30 years - that with a much more professional and thorough permitting process than the DR."

Chip

So, this project is inevitable, there isn't anything anyone can do about it, and anyone who speaks against it is just a no-good malcontent, with nothing better to do than cause unnecessary trouble for the good people of Sackman?

Is that about the gist of it?

Assuming you are correct, and the project is a lock, I have two questions.

Do you honestly believe the infrastructure (roads, sewerage, water, etc.) of Cabrette is adequate to support such a project? and

Do you actually believe that this project is in the best interests of the people of the north coast, and that it will will enhance the quality of their environment?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"100% of the time new development is opposed by some people the world over, many times with no real reason other than people have nothing better to do than try to prevent others from progressing in whatever way shape and form. Certainly there are legitimate concerns and reasons with some planned developments.

However, in the matter of development of the coastal areas of the DR, the DR gov't. is pro investment and development and more and more will come and those who buy in these areas should be prepared for the inevitable. This isn't so odd, just look at what has happened to Florida in the last 30 years - that with a much more professional and thorough permitting process than the DR."

Chip

So, this project is inevitable, there isn't anything anyone can do about it, and anyone who speaks against it is just a no-good malcontent, with nothing better to do than cause unnecessary trouble for the good people of Sackman?

Is that about the gist of it?

Assuming you are correct, and the project is a lock, I have two questions.

Do you honestly believe the infrastructure (roads, sewerage, water, etc.) of Cabrette is adequate to support such a project? and

Do you actually believe that this project is in the best interests of the people of the north coast, and that it will will enhance the quality of their environment?

I was speaking in generalities and I don't know any more about this project that what has already been posted on DR1.

My point is simply more and more development will come to the coastal areas of DR, if not this project others will and the fact that new development always has it's detractors, especially those who already have their "piece of the pie".

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
After spending the previous two weeks at our place in Pro Cab, I saw a huge lack of people on the beaches and I felt a reduction in the breezes that we normally feel at our place. They say that the wind blows from the east. Wrong! It blows from the west and north too and there has been a significant reduction in those winds. The people who buy these condos do nothing for the economy of Cabarete as they are not usually wind surfers or kite surfers. The restaurants were nearly empty and there is still a lot of building going on - lot beside Windsurf Resort. It is pure and simple greed!! With this development, Cabarete will be over the top with condos and empty residences. The government must be proactive in determining feasibility and/or lack thereof of these developments if they don't want to end up with diminished beaches and sports venues. The reasoning of "If they don't build it, someone else will." maintains the ideologies of those who have brought the world to this financial mess. There is no need for these buildings and the Ministry of the Environment is certainly asleep at the switch. I am appalled at what I saw!! These buildings will hurt everyone who lives and works in Cabarete! Plain and simple! The short term gains do not outweigh the long term damage!!

Reactions: AlaninDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With regard to empty buildings, come to Florida and you will find many. In spite of this they will once again be reoccupied as the economy gets better.

As far as greed goes, why does it mean to so many that anytime somebody wants to develop a project and make a profit that it is automatically greed? People don't invest money to lose it or give it away on purpose - but this doesn't greed make.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
As far as greed goes, why does it mean to so many that anytime somebody wants to develop a project and make a profit that it is automatically greed? People don't invest money to lose it or give it away on purpose - but this doesn't greed make.

Chip, making money is good.
Doing so to the detriment of the surroundings is not good.

How recently have you been to Cabarete? I'm just curious your take on what something like this would do to this 1km (or less) one street (2 lane) town? To me, 9 stories in the middle of this is simply not appropriate. Therefore, in my opinion, if you go to the point of making something undesireable to a town & your neighbors- you're focusing only on the potential to make 'more money'.

Be a good community developer, keep the appropriate style & size, augment the town overall... make all the money you can! Go beyond that, just greedy.

Mar 2, 2008
Greed by definition, is an entity seeking to extract everything that can possibly be extracted, from any and all situations, without regard for anyone or anything.

That would include the complete disregard for the environment, and the same disregard for anyone who lives in a particular area, whose quality of life might be diminished.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Greed by definition, is an entity seeking to extract everything that can possibly be extracted, from any and all situations, without regard for anyone or anything.

That would include the complete disregard for the environment, and the same disregard for anyone who lives in a particular area, whose quality of life might be diminished.

This should be the statement of the year as it makes my point exactly about typical attitudes towards development whatever it may be. Nice home run.

As far as disregard to the environment, unfortunately very few if any projects at all in the DR consider the environmental impacts.

Mar 2, 2008
As far as disregard to the environment, unfortunately very few if any projects at all in the DR consider the environmental impacts.

But does that make it right?

I am glad I was able to hit a home run for you, because who really cares about anyone else's quality of life?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

But does that make it right?

I am glad I was able to hit a home run for you, because who really cares about anyone else's quality of life?

If you can't see the gravity of your statement
"whose quality of life might be diminished"

or it's open ended purely subjective approach as a means to attack all development, I don't think we will get any further discussing this topic.

As far as the environmental impact goes, I'm certainly for taking certain precautions and measures - just that this particular project shouldn't necessarily be held to a different standard because someone "feels" it should be.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, making money is good.
Doing so to the detriment of the surroundings is not good.

How recently have you been to Cabarete? I'm just curious your take on what something like this would do to this 1km (or less) one street (2 lane) town? To me, 9 stories in the middle of this is simply not appropriate. Therefore, in my opinion, if you go to the point of making something undesireable to a town & your neighbors- you're focusing only on the potential to make 'more money'.

Be a good community developer, keep the appropriate style & size, augment the town overall... make all the money you can! Go beyond that, just greedy.

Who is to decide what is and what is not appropriate in Cabarete? The people living their who already have their peice of heavan and don't want to share it with others? BTW, if you live in Cabarete, do you think the original developers weren't trying to make a profit?

This is a common theme throughout the history of the world, increasing development brings positives and negatives. Unfortunately the world's population has never nor will ever decrease, and thus there will always be the need to accomodate people's needs/wants to have a place to live, etc.

Feb 15, 2005
I think the real issue here is the impact a 9 story building will have on the surfing which is the major attraction of Cabarete. All agree that it will have an impact and that is the problem. Not so much that it will bring immediate source of income but what about sustainability of the culture of Cabarete. What will happen is that major sponsors of wind surfing competition will just move the venue to another island when the area is deemed no longer suitable for competition. Then except of sex tourism of Sosua, the area will lose it's attraction. Is this progress in the immediate, but what of the long term consequences.

This reminds me of how the government is enforcing encroachment's laws regarding building near the river banks. Sure it's a need but when the rains come and sweep away homes then it become a nearsighted issue.

While not as drastic, it does put the immediate satisfaction of a few, for the total future satisfaction of many

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I hate to see Cabarete move closer to the 2nd image when there is so much coastline that could be developed in a low density manner.
  • First image taken today. Buildings on far right are 3 & 4 floors high.
  • Fountains propose three 9-story towers a little to the right of halfway between the two cell towers in the photo - and I think would be about the same height as those cell towers.
  • For those not familiar with Cabarete, the 'center' of town(restaurants, businesses, etc) is where you see the palm trees on the left. Yes, there are businesses and restaurants right there on the beach hidden by the trees.
3387366087_240a252015_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.