Carnival in Puerto Plata

W

Wayne

Does anyone have information about the upcoming Carnival celebration in Puerto Plata? Will it climax on Feb 27th as does the one in Santo Domingo this year? Is the celebration in Puerto Plata a full blown week long festival with parade like in Santo Domingo? If so, where and when is the parade held and what types of activities occur the other days of the week?

T

trina

Last year, it was on that same weekend. It was great, big party all along the malecon, with the biggest happening on the Sunday around Independence Day. There are parades, and big dances in the street. Really needs to be experienced to be believed.

W

Wayne

Is this an all day affair or just in the evening? Any suggestions on where to hang out during the festivities or just move with the crowd along the Malecon?

T

trina

I would play it by ear. There are alot of little great places along the malecon (Sam's Bar & Grill is close, and a good place if you need to get away), I am sure you will meet lots of people - it is a great time. Last year, I only saw one fight as far as crime, and that was a German tourist. Have fun!!!

R

Randy

Was there last year for final evening. Had a great time. Vendor selling Presidente for 70 to 90 cents a can. Large stage is set up towards the end near fort.Little kids running around with some kind of balloon smacking women on the butts.Thought some of the boyfriends would get mad but everyone just laughed and continued on their way.Lots of dancing,laughing,drinking. Gonna do it again this coming Feb.

K

Karina

Please confirm what day it's on

We will be vacationing in Puerto Plata from the 17th of Feb to the 3rd of March (from Ontario, Canada). We were there 2 years ago and went to the Carnival, and had fun! Please suggest a good bar to hang out at, I will check Sam's, can you sort of tell me where it is? Thanks!

R

Randy

Re: Please confirm what day it's on

Your timing is right(last weekend in Feb). Why sit it a bar? Presidente is readily available from the street vendors.Grab one and walk around enjoying the sights and sounds.Have a contest- see who can drink the most walking from one end of the malecon to the other!!!LOL

K

Karina

Right on!! That's exactly what we did last time

and will most likely do in 2001! Thanks for the date!