Water Quality/Pollution

yanqui69

Mar 22, 2008
To All,

Does anyone have any information regarding what type of contamination the tap water in the DR has?

Is it chemical (ie, metals, chemicals) or bacterial (e-coli, sewage, etc)?

The most common practice among the locals appears to be buying the large plastic bottles of water, but I wonder if the tap-mounted filtration systems that are available would adequately purify tap water for drinking?

Gracias!
Yanqui69

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
It depends a bit on where in the DR you're talking about, but generally speaking the principal concern about contaminants in tap water in the DR is biological. Many cases of gastro-intestinal problems due microorganisms in the water. That's certainly the concern I've heard most often voiced by people buying the garrafones. Some also regularly put drops of chlorine in their cisternas for the same reason.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I am not that confident of the water in those plastic bottles. Have they been sterilized and have they been kept cool? I don't know for certain but we installed a sink-top filter system, made in Birkshire, England and we have had fewer intestinal problems than with the bottled water. Go figure :ermm:

Might be Birksfield (purchased it at Bellon, in Santiago)

Last edited:

sailin

May 1, 2008
Has anyone seen an air-to-water machine (makes water out of the air) for household use in the Dominican Republic?
Seems everyone has developed one but I'm trying to find one in the DR. I live on the North Coast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
does anyone know of a system in the north coast to purify the water in a condo..

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Are all the large blue bottled water sold at the colmados suspect?

Is there a particular brand that is safer.

I bought a water filter system in USA but doesnt work anywhere here due to the poor water pressure cannot pass through the filter in a reasonable time

Evans19

Apr 8, 2009
I am not that confident of the water in those plastic bottles. Have they been sterilized and have they been kept cool? I don't know for certain but we installed a sink-top filter system, made in Birkshire, England and we have had fewer intestinal problems than with the bottled water. Go figure :ermm:

Same here..my mom used to tell me not to trust bottled waters easily :ermm:... To be sure that we are safe of what we are drinking, we boil the water and then, we cool :cool: them, so that we are able to drink it... :p

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I spent abou 8 yrs not wanting to trust the botellones of water but the imported water was killing my wallet. Said wtf, and started drinking from the botellon.... damn what a waste of money all those years...

Never heard of anyone (expat or local) getting sick off the big blue bottles.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are all the large blue bottled water sold at the colmados suspect?

Is there a particular brand that is safer.

I bought a water filter system in USA but doesnt work anywhere here due to the poor water pressure cannot pass through the filter in a reasonable time

I can't vouch for other places but in Jarabacoa there is a large stainless steel Reverse Osmosis system that fills the blue bottles. There is also a water truck that gets water from an Artesian well that is recommended by locals.