Big Fire on Cabarete Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
There is what appears from across the bay to be a large structural fire at end of beach near Sans Souci/Velero.
Heard some explosions, thought maybe shotguns... finally looked and saw the blaze. Will go see what it is & report back if no one else has.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
All 'okay'

Walked up there & looks like the fire's pretty much burned itself out.

For anyone familiar with the area, it was the beachfront wood structure building (I believe former windsurf school at one point) that from the beach is (was) on the left side of the little road heading up to Janet's.

The building has had a construction fence around it for some time. Whether an accidental fire or part of demolition, I don't know. Prevailing winds were blowing out toward the ocean so there was no damage to other structures that I could see.

When the two levels were on fire, though, it was pretty impressive even from a distance... and the explosions that first caught my attention sounded like large fireworks.

We will now resume normal programming.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Might have been caused by developer lightning!

With all the rain we've been having it wood not surprise me !

Jan 17, 2009
I live less than a block away. That property (a very old fisherman's house) has been abandoned for years. The police were wondering how an abandoned property can catch fire. After talking to neighbors, they found out that there is a group of young people who break in often to do drugs and may have caused the fire. I was impressed with the response time of the Sosua fire truck. It took about ten minutes after the police call them to arrive.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
No, not the same place... I'm not familiar with Amigo Bar, but article says it was in an area I don't frequent... Jardin Deportivo.

Status
Not open for further replies.