Whatever happened to IKEA?

joel spencer

Dec 29, 2003
Last June there was a picture of Leonel breaking ground for a new IKEA store in Santo Domingo and they set up a web site that was recruiting employees. I have been trying to find out about this store recently and can't seem to get any information about it. Anyone have any information about what happened; is it opening? was it cancelled?. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
I need to buy things (crib, dressers,etc.) for a baby that we are expecting at the end of June. I am traveling to Santo Domingo this weekend to look for these things. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to look for both good values and good quality, please respond. Thanks.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Ikea

Well you wont be buying at IKEA, they probably wont be open for at least 8mo. maybe longer, they are building like crazy, but will be a long time.

Lope De Vega, just off lincoln, Nova De Villa? lots of stuff. for kids bedrooms, etc. Not sure on the prices. Cribs. Store on Mella just as it starts about 2 blocks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Novia de Villa is good for baby stuff, also PRIN on Paseo de los Locutores. La Sirena, Americana, etc. have good baby departments. Smaller shops in malls like Bella Vista, Diamond, Acropolis sell more select ranges.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I drove past the IKEA site last week. They appear to building at a furious pace.
Opening date? No idea, but as bienamor said, it's a few months away.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Update of Ikea in SD:

l_5bbd1004ba7d468593652e1918de2ca4.jpg

Reactions: Celt202

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
I know somebody involved in the construction's process, they had a few problems in the past with the general contractor, but the ikea owner came here and straight the things out so they had to start at full throttle to meet the deadline... So we're a few months away from the opening.

nydr

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
how far is santo domingo from sosua..we need to look at furniture

3.5hrs drive. Lots of threads on furniture buying, shops etc.
Use the search function of this board, it could well turn out to be you new best friend :)

DBU

Jan 17, 2009
IKEA store location?

Where is the IKEA store (being built)? Any guesstimates on opening day?

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's being built on JFK next door to Ferreteria Americana. My guess is it will open within the next 6-8 months, based on the current construction progress.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I went past the site last week and was surprised not see even the building constructed yet, the steel frame (am sure there is a slightly more technical term ha ha) is still being constructed. Allthough it is very possible it could be open in 6-8 months as Robert predicted as these building do seem to go up surprisingly fast when they set their mind to it. I was just expecting a finished building.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Construction has picked up speed at Ikea. It is moving fast, but still many months to go. Construction at the next door Americana Departamentos expansion is also going fast. Maybe they are competing for the first to open.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
Not long time ago Ikea said in an article (Listin) that they will be ready end of 2009.
I wish this planings come true, IKEA will hurt many other businesses.
I am tired to go to shops, getting furniture packed and parts missing. Or no more furniture in stock, just the damaged one in the exhibition...
Secially in kitchen I am interested. The experience with Roca in SD was just horrible.

Please let Santa Claus be a nice guy and bring us Ikea in 2009!

Beside that it shows the professionalism of Ikea. THey do not go out with a specific date. They have seen what happen to others who like to make plans in the DR! You will allways get your surprises during the time.
First: No Problemas! Later: Oh, tu entiendes?! Hay problemitas....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If your driving by, look at the difference in construction techniques between IKEA and what Ferreteria Americana are doing next door :)

Talk about light years ahead, IKEA looks like a regular European site, steal construction, reinforced walls, hardhats worn by everyone, organized, clean etc.

The site is swarming with people right now and it's going to be a huge store!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
yes different

and nothing propped up with wooden posts either, really different I go by every morning

RAYDA9

Jun 10, 2009
If your driving by, look at the difference in construction techniques between IKEA and what Ferreteria Americana are doing next door :)

Talk about light years ahead, IKEA looks like a regular European site, steal construction, reinforced walls, hardhats worn by everyone, organized, clean etc.

The site is swarming with people right now and it's going to be a huge store!

That is so true, the dif is very clear between each...

I wonder if I can still get a job there...