How do Dominicans celebrate Easter?

ghandinurse

Nov 1, 2008
I heard that Easter, a sacred Catholic Holiday has turned into a week long session of immorality & debauchery in DR, esp. in Puerto Plata. Any feedback?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Who told you only a week? :cheeky: Yes I would imagine if you go looking you'll find immorality and debauchery in Puerto Plata. If you look really hard you'll find depravity too with the odd touch of licentiousness and intemperance thrown in. Mostly the locals go to the beach however. As families.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Plastic bags on head. Rum in paw (in sea or in car). Singing laughing and having good time. Stay off roads if you can. Everyone drunk. Great business for colmados (yippee!!!!). Basically everyone has drink induced fun.

Matilda

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I heard that Easter, a sacred Catholic Holiday has turned into a week long session of immorality & debauchery in DR, esp. in Puerto Plata. Any feedback?

Oh My GOSH ........... I HOPE so!! Find out from your source what you can & PM me the details or reply in a plain brown papered envelope (that way the 'wife' won't see it!!). If what you have heard is going to be true this year, it will be the first time in 16 years that I have been here so get sourcing & get back to me quick please!:cheeky:! ~ Grahame.:paranoid: :glasses:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Funnily enough our cleaner, who is almost certainly not the OP, was saying almost exactly the same thing today. Except for the bit about Puerto Plata, which is so clearly a malicious rumour aimed at denigrating that fair city and its good citizens. :D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Beach party time!

Everyone in my {Dominican} husband's family [Santo Domingo] heads out to the beaches for the entire week - Semana Santa - including my 88 yr. old mother-in-law. She stays at our house in Najayo Beach with whoever else wants to go - you can't squeeze another person into the beaches that week, and there are cars parked everywhere, some of the late-comers have to walk a long way from their cars to the beach. One of his brothers takes the family to Bavaro for the week, another goes to Juan Dolio with his crew. The youngest brother [divorced, late 40s] still takes a tent and camps right on the beach all week. In fact, we brought him a new tent when we were there last week. Party time. Loud. Fights. My husband [he's 60] has said it's changed a great deal since he was young - back then there was no music that week, everything quiet and respectful. [Geesh, I sound like my parents when they used to talk about 'the good old days']. When our kids were young we often went to the DR over Easter, but it always bothered me that there was little religious going on. I remember there were beautiful Palm Sunday services at the church in SD, much nicer than in the US. Palm Sunday, Good Friday [we always went to 3 churches that day] and Easter were big deals when I was growing up. Now it's become an excuse to party there. Many businesses in the cities close completely.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

A week long escalation of a year long culture.

Get thee to a nunnery. :cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

we, citizens of puerto plata drink and have fun on the beach during the day and they fall into profound abyss of wicked fornication and lewdness. ladies do not wear panties, men have the blue pill ready. faces are red, lips swollen and breaths heavy. our depraved and nefarious ways shock the nation. this sensual orgy last until monday.
please pm for details.

Mar 2, 2008
2009 20102011
Viernes de Dolores April 3 March 26 April 15
S?bado de Pasi?n April 4 March 27 April 16
Domingo de Ramos April 5 March 28 April 17
Lunes Santo April 6 March 29 April 18
Martes Santo April 7 March 30 April 19
Mi?rcoles Santo April 8 March 31 April 20
Jueves Santo April 9 April 1 April 21
Viernes Santo April 10 April 2 April 22
Sabado de Gloria April 11 April 3 April 23
Domingo de la Resurrecci?n April 12 April 4 April 24

Hmmmm.... doesn't look so swell once it's up there. Oh well, I started early.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
More Often

Who told you only a week? :cheeky: Yes I would imagine if you go looking you'll find immorality and debauchery in Puerto Plata. If you look really hard you'll find depravity too with the odd touch of licentiousness and intemperance thrown in. Mostly the locals go to the beach however. As families.

You should be so humorous more often. :bunny:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You should be so humorous more often. :bunny:
I refuse to be drawn on that subject tflea on the grounds that I will most likely end up with a VERY thick ear & be deprived of any depravity (the other words were too big for me to understand!:paranoid: :bunny: :eek:!) for more than just the Easter week!

Still - there is ALWAYS GOLF!!!! Thank goodness for stiff shafts & little white balls & someone to carry them for you! ;) :pirate: :ermm: ~ Grahame.

B

BettyDiamond

the op sounds a fun person perhaps we should go and spend quality time with them

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
And now for the rib tickling research response to the OP's question: 50% say they will stay at home, 24.4% will go to the beach, 14.4% will visit family, 7.7% will visit a local place of interest, 3.9% will go to an AI & 2.1% will leave the country.
♥♥♥ Dominican Math: That adds up to 102.5%

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sure there is plenty of room for overlap in those options. We are staying and home AND going to the beach.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
And now for the rib tickling research response to the OP's question: 50% say they will stay at home, 24.4% will go to the beach, 14.4% will visit family, 7.7% will visit a local place of interest, 3.9% will go to an AI & 2.1% will leave the country.

Seg?n estudio 50% de los dominicanos se quedar?n en casa en Semana Santa

I, as a Dominican have something to say about that poll: HAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT!!!

The real figure is something about 20 or 30%, if you don't believe me visit Santo Domingo this Holy Friday, it converts into a ghost town.