Cows and milk

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
My stepson would like to start his own Business in the D/R

Would it be a good idea for a Business ?

(1)Breading cows and selling the calf,s

(2 )Buying cows and selling the milk

on the subject of milk can you get Pasteurised milk in the D/R

Nov 25, 2008
you better do your homework, this is not a cheap operation, besides having a lot of land, you yourself better know the in's and out's; and NOT relying on someone else to run your business.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Meat Supply

My stepson would like to start his own Business in the D/R
Would it be a good idea for a Business ?
(1)Breading cows and selling the calf,s
(2 )Buying cows and selling the milk

Maybe.
Depends on how many thousands of "tareas" you own...
And as he is a gringo, he'd even be more a target for that:
Cuatreros en acci?n: Este mi?rcoles descuartizaron 4 vacas m?s

can you get Pasteurised milk in the D/R

There's plenty of UHT-milk in the supermarkets (depending on the brand around 40 RD$/litre).

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Maybe.he is a gringo, No here he is
This is my step son Wanderson from NAGUA who plays wheel chair basketball for the disabled, who used to play baseball in NAGUA before he lost his leg
3514899980a6441291241looooooooo.jpg

http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominican-baseball/73110-wheel-chair-basketball.html

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can do both but you would need lots of land, lots of money and be here full time.
my father in law has a farm with cows, before it was milk cows and now meat cows. he is doing quite well.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
My wife's mother until a few weeks back had about 35 cows and was doing very well selling milk. I think she was making about 2000-2500 USD a month.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Wow 2500us?

Before or after expenses? milk production is labor intensive, and feed to promote good production, would be expensive here.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
She had 3 older Haitians working for her. I know each one was getting 3000 RD a month plus every day when she went to the farm she brought them food. The land was huge and it had its own laguna which never went dry, so the water was always there. They were there to watch over the cows and milk them, the company's truck passes by the farm every day and they do the transport.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Golden Udders

She had 3 older Haitians working for her. I know each one was getting 3000 RD a month plus every day when she went to the farm she brought them food. The land was huge and it had its own laguna which never went dry, so the water was always there. They were there to watch over the cows and milk them, the company's truck passes by the farm every day and they do the transport.

Those were good conditions.
Why did she give up that lucrative business?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Long story short; woman with money, mid-life crisis, sankie-pankie. They don't go only after the gringas, they go after any woman with money.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Were are the cows?

Long story short; woman with money, mid-life crisis, sankie-pankie. They don't go only after the gringas, they go after any woman with money.

Hm, that's not why I titled "Golden Udders"... :cheeky:
Does the sankie now have the cows?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
No, he's broke again. Lost everything, including the jeepeta she got him, betting on cockfights.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Before or after expenses? milk production is labor intensive, and feed to promote good production, would be expensive here.
She had 3 older Haitians working for her. I know each one was getting 3000 RD a month plus every day when she went to the farm she brought them food. The land was huge and it had its own laguna which never went dry, so the water was always there. They were there to watch over the cows and milk them, the company's truck passes by the farm every day and they do the transport

having the Laguna for water is great, and land to roam on, but still wondering about things like grain for the production, the grass in this country is not going to do it. Not sure what the food quality in the grass is but its not high, or you would see fatter cattle. i assume milking twice a day, so the truck comes by twice, or had cold storage, for 1 of the milkings?

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Cattle ranching

The problem with milking cows and running that kind of farm is you soon become a full time slave of it. Its a full time dedication and if you want it to work then you have to be there all the time. Buying fodder and food for the cows is expensive. What you need allot of land.

I am a cattle rancher for beef production. Our stock is 90% Brahman and 10% Swiso as they call it here. Most of the time we have plenty of food but during the dry season which is around this time of year the grass does not grow much, so you have to supplement with other sources. We grow a type of cane that they quite like and also control the use of pastures by not over grazing and rotating. Its more of a hobby than anything but we recently improved the stock by purchasing a new stud bull that's a pure bred from the Manso line from Texas. Its allot of fun and you dont need loads of land to get started. Good luck