Computer Sciece Career in DR

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
I am a Dominican Citizen who got an Scholarship from SEESCyT to study at CUNY (City University of New York). I got an f1 visa (international student visa). Right now I am attending to City College of New York majoring in Computer Science and this my Junior year (3rd Year). As a good Dominican and a person who doesn't like the life in the US (even though there are great opportunities), I am considering going back to the Dominican Republic to have a career as a Computer Programmer, Project Manager, or any computer field related to Programming and/or Database.

I am getting as much experience as I can so I have more opportunities to get a good job. I have been working as Computer Lab Technician at Bronx Community College for 3 years. Two summers ago, I did an internship at the NYC Comptroller's office. Last summer, I did an Internship in Google. I am thinking to go to Microsoft this Summer for an internship of 3 months. I have great implementation skill in C++, C#, Java, Visual Basic, and SQL server. Moderate Skills in Python and Delphi. This summer I am also taking a course in Oracle.

After I finish my major in Computer Science, I want to know the possibilities of getting a good job in the Dominican Republic, either from a national company, or an multinational or transnational company in the country. A friend of mine told me there is a project that an international company is supporting about video game programming where according to him they are paying in US dollars.

J NewBeginning

Dec 23, 2008
Look into internship opportunities with Interdom. They are a non-profit from DR with HQ in Washington, D.C. They most likely will have the company connections (through an internship or networking) you would need to hook up with an International or Dominican Company in your field.

l_th

Jun 4, 2004
www.809k.com
If your code is good, there are a few companies that have really good salaries for programers. Also being a SQL/Oracle DBA can get you a good paycheck for IT in the DR since there are few in the country.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Pay in this area is good. My husband is a programmer and web developer here in Dr but works for an American Company. It is much better if you find an international company becuase the pay will be better. With an American degree and American experience, you will do fine. Good Luck.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You can always come back to our beatiful land, but keep in mind that the pay will be way less of what you could get in the States, so I suggest you to keep that window open just in case.

The banks here are constantly hiring IT personnel in were you could gain a lot (and I mean A LOT) of experience. If I could suggest something is that you would have better demand if you took a course in the security field. Here banks and other critical business usually have sub-departments for Security issues only and the demand for that area is high.