barahona

K

Key

Is anyone familiar with the Barahona area?
Could you tell me about it!!

T

trina

Barahona is beautiful. Not many tourists have discovered it yet. The countryside, typical Dominican, is fascinating. If you want to hit a beach, though, this isn't really the place, unless you like all-rock beaches.
People here are unbelievably friendly, but due to the lack of English-speaking tourists, you won't find many people who speak English. It's a great get-away spot. We stayed at a little motel, can't remember the name of it, but have the name stashed away someplace. We paid $30 US/night, and had TV with cable (I find Dominican cable to be better than we have in Calgary!!!), a pool, and a great restaurant, as well as wonderful service. Enjoy!

A

Art Covey

Spent 4 or 5 days in Barahona in March this year while touring DR on trip number 7. Stayed at a nice resort "can't remember the name but it was on the ocean" reasonable rates. Further south of town there is a brand new resort, if may be open now. Fantastic coastal drive south of town, friendly people as always. Different than the usual resort towns well worth exploring.
Art

J

JenNY

Barahona, in MY opinion is the best place on earth! :)

Barahona is a great place if you want to really learn more about the people, and the culture. The people are wonderful, and EVERYONE will want to help you. It's along the countryside. I disagree with trina about the beaches! What's better than going to a beach, and not getting sand stuck all over your body?! I love the rock beaches.. They are soooo beautiful, and I don't feel gross when I come back.. Barahona is known for the most beautiful beaches.. such as San Raphael. It's a strong part of the carribean, so I don't care for it too much but it sure is beautiful. My favorite is Quemaito.. I love it!

If you do go to barahona, make sure you check out "Polo Magnetico".

I stay at a very cheap hotel.. it's $20-$25. a night, and it's a clean room with Air condition and TV.. nothing more, nothing less! :) It's "Hotel Barahona". It's on a great part of town, that you can walk to the pier for sunset and sundown! :) they are GORGEOUS!! :)

Nothing like getting to know the culture!

Gotta love Barahona!
Jenny

S

Sarah

Oh my goodness, don't get me started...this is my second home. I respectfully disagree with Trina, as well. Try El Quemaito, San Raphael, Los Patos, Paraiso...etc, etc, etc. Barahona IS my favorite place on earth too - beautiful people, great beaches, fun nightlife, inexpensive hotels (The Micheluz), nice resorts (The Riviera). Please email me with any specific questions. As I mentioned in the previous post, I'll be there over the New Year and would be happy to meet up with fellow board posters for an ICE COLD Presidente, if time permits! Email me!!

J

JenNY

What time will you be living on? Dominican time? Or American? :)

*smile*

Jenny

S

shawna

I was there about 9 years ago for 5 months. I loved it. i don't remember exactly where everything is, but if you head north out of town there is a beautiful place where you can walk up a trail to a waterfall. we used to walk a ways up and theres a place where you can sit and relax. beautiful. I hope you can find it.

S

Sarah

Sounds like San Raphael, except that would be about a 30 min drive west from Barahona.