Can you buy GPS units for your car with street maps of Santo Domingo preloaded?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I used a hand held GPS unit in Santo Domingo. But are there GPS units for purchase in Santo Domigo that I can use in a car that have streets of Santo Domingo preloaded?

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Yes,
I saw the GPS for sale at Americana in SD. I am waiting for a better unit though. I tried to find the software company here but have not found them online. I think it is a garman 200 (the cheapest model). You get free upgrades for a year as they mape more of the DR.........If you stop ar Americana see if you can find out the name of the company making the gps maps as I would like to buy the software and install it on a better GPS unit. I wrote down the company name but can not find them.....
carib

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go to the same place I sent you to buy speakers. Omega Tech. They are the largest sellers of the OLA GPS. It's Garmin based, I use one, it's VERY good!

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Go to the same place I sent you to buy speakers. Omega Tech. They are the largest sellers of the OLA GPS. It's Garmin based, I use one, it's VERY good!

I did buy the new computer speakers at Omega tech in Santo Domingo. Omega Tech is an excellent store.

DBU

Jan 17, 2009
Google Maps - Slightly off Topic

How are Google Maps created? I really don't know, but I am guessing that it starts at the Google MapMaker site. Check it out.
Executive summary: Anyone with a Google (Gmail) account can add map detail to the satellite images. So, if you have intimate details about a specific area of DR, I recommend you log on and share your knowledge.

For starters, adding the directions of the many one-way streets in Sto. Dom. would be a good contribution.

Once at the website, simply zoom in to DR and start to explore. The map on this site has better detail than the regular Google map site.

papinice88

Jul 20, 2007
today i ask a friend of my to go purcheae a gps for me at the store sirena in santiago i told him to buy me the unit that ola.com advertise for 370.00 us garmin model with the map of the whole country

the sells person at the sirena told my friend that these gps from ola.com do not have the map of santiago that they only carry the map of La capital Santo Domingo

thanks to my friend he did ask the sell's person what maps were uploaded in the GPS
for 370.00 dollars and only the map of Santo Domingo that is a lot of money

but my complaint is really is the false advertisement on there web-site

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
So can I buy a better garmin in the states and then just buy the maps from OLA? I know little about GPS but am finally contemplating buying a car in DR and GPS would be nice.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So can I buy a better garmin in the states and then just buy the maps from OLA? I know little about GPS but am finally contemplating buying a car in DR and GPS would be nice.

Yes, they will install just the maps.
They charge US$40 or RD$1400.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think Omega Tech are doing a deal right now, full maps of the DR including the Garmin GPS for RD$4,000 You should contact them, but that's what I heard.

If true, that is an amazing deal for here!!!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
rather than buying a gps unit for the car i've seen gps apps available for I-phones and similar phones. i'd rather go this route but will this work in the DR?

theman

Aug 25, 2008
today i ask a friend of my to go purcheae a gps for me at the store sirena in santiago i told him to buy me the unit that ola.com advertise for 370.00 us garmin model with the map of the whole country

the sells person at the sirena told my friend that these gps from ola.com do not have the map of santiago that they only carry the map of La capital Santo Domingo

thanks to my friend he did ask the sell's person what maps were uploaded in the GPS
for 370.00 dollars and only the map of Santo Domingo that is a lot of money

but my complaint is really is the false advertisement on there web-site

So it's only for Santo domingo! They should have one for all the country, I would get one right away.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have been searching for a site for this place but am only getting Omega watches andf everything I dont want. Anyone got a simple link to a catalogue type page?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have been searching for a site for this place but am only getting Omega watches andf everything I dont want. Anyone got a simple link to a catalogue type page?

The website link is down:

OMEGATECH, S.A.JOHN F. KENNEDY KM. 8 1/2 LOS PRADOS SANTO DOMINGO
REPUBLICA DOMINCANA
Tel (809)683-4343 * Cell (809)449-7889

http://www.omega.com.do/

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Forget the site. Go there, it's much better.

If you get stuck, ask for Alvin, he's the owner, great guy and speaks fluent English.

I realize it is RD, but how can you sell technology with a broken web link?

At least put up a picture of a puter and the address of the store if you can't build a proper site.

Imagine HP or Apple with a broken web link in the holiday season, oh never mind.

Happy Holidays!

tambo'