Good pizza in Santiago?

rhino r

Jan 5, 2009
Anyone know if there is an establishment in Santiago with good pizza? We've tried take out from Nacional (fairly tasty cardboard) and Dominos (thick bread with a whiff of cheese).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Pizzarelli is the best pizza in Santiago but I believe the one located in Las Colinas Mall has consistly better pizza than the one mentioned.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
YOu can get fair, but inexpensive, pizza at Tu Pizza stands...My personal fav is the one on Constanza, just off 27 de Febrero.

Pizzarelli is by far the best in Santiago.

There is another, more expensive option: D'Amici Restaurant on Calle 11, just off Metropolitana in front of La Epoca, next to the spa. they are good!

HB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Excellent Pizza

I have tried different pizza establishments in Santiago and believe it or not,
I found the best to be Pizza Hut. I order with extra cheese and have found it to be delicious. It is a cholesteral delight.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
On a good day, I think Pizzarelli is better than Pizza Hut, but not every day is a good day for Pizzarelli, there have been days when it tasted like the crap they serve at PriceSmart.

Pizza Hut is not great, but it is consistent, at least as far as keeping the oven calibrated.

Unfortunately this is Santiago and not New York, "not horrible" is the best I can usually hope for in Pizza. If you have ever eaten Pizza in New York you need to wait at least a year before eating Pizza in Santiago. Otherwise it will be impossible not to make a negative comparison.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
best pizza for me is Pizzarrelli, Plaza Optimus, in front of "La Rose"

That's not pizza, it's junk food! :D
And that includes Pizza Hut, Domino's, PriceMart and so forth.

Lets it be reminded that contrary to the majority believe on this side of the ocean, Pizza has NOT been invented in New York. :bunny: Even though, some OK pizza could be found at some mom & pop restaurants on alleys around Mulberry St... many years ago.

... J-D.

A

apostropheman

So, just out of curiosity...

...what IS pizza and where might one go to get it? :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Lets it be reminded that contrary to the majority believe on this side of the ocean, Pizza has NOT been invented in New York. :bunny: Even though, some OK pizza could be found at some mom & pop restaurants on alleys around Mulberry St... many years ago.

... J-D.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

... J-D.

The Original Patsy's on 1st Ave @118th St is the best NYC pizza.
I happen to agree Pizzarelli is certainly the most edible in Santiago.
What's up with corn on pizza?
tambo'

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
...what IS pizza and where might one go to get it? :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Bella Italia?

I remember, when I lived in the States ('till 2001), it was utterly difficult to find a real pizza outside New York (I have eaten real pizzas, growing up in a neighbor country to Italy where still 1st generation seasonal construction workers would only eat "home" food). The only ones I found, were around Mulberry in the 90's, little Italy was already decimated to a very few blocks, John Gotti Sr. rotting in jail.
Interestingly, now (2009) I have eaten some decently authentic pizza in Florida recently... at more than one location.

The only pizza so far here in the DR I would call something somewhat similar would be at Bologna in Sosua... only that they use the wrong cheese... and too much of it.

Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally get my urge to get me a Pizza Hut... erm... pie(?)... but that's never on a day, when I long for a PIZZA.

... J-D.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
And what's on an authentic NYC pizza? :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

99q3di.jpg

pepperoni, meat balls, or mushrooms, but no corn!

A

apostropheman

I'm off to get a pizza...with 'shrooms :D

I'm STARVING!!!!!! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
99q3di.jpg

pepperoni, meat balls, or mushrooms, but no corn!

The problem with that stuff, apart from again the wrong cheese... and too much of it, is that aluminum platter they serve it on.
Aluminum is a great material to make airplanes, steel guitars and radiators from... the later just explains why it shouldn't be under a pizza... it will cool it off. Ya want yer pizza hot... all the way, 'till yet dun eatin' it.
Pizza ought to be served on a flat terracotta plate or a big slab of wood, just never aluminum!

Corn has no business on a pizza... unless you want to feed yer cicken with it... what NY pizza might just be about OK for.

And slices! :pirate: Uh, uh! :ermm: