Boca Chica Diving

dagui00

Apr 5, 2009
good morning all
can someone tell me who or what company i might contact for a padi diving recertification while i am in Boca Chica July 2 - July 12

billywinter

Dec 24, 2008
Diving in Boca Chica

I just dove a week in Boca Chica 3/21 - 3/28 and used Tropical Sea Divers. They are located on the beach right next to the Zappata hotel. The divemaster, Utah, was a german lady who was laid back, competent and fun to dive with. Would recomend this dive shop. Their boat is new and adequate. Let me know if you need any info.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
I just dove a week in Boca Chica 3/21 - 3/28 and used Tropical Sea Divers. They are located on the beach right next to the Zappata hotel. The divemaster, Utah, was a german lady who was laid back, competent and fun to dive with. Would recomend this dive shop. Their boat is new and adequate. Let me know if you need any info.
How was the diving? How would you rate the diving in the area?

billywinter

Dec 24, 2008
The diving in Boca Chica is mediocre. Visibility was ok, the wrecks and reefs
were sometimes interesting but mostly boring. Fishlife was lacking. I also dove "the wall" off catalina island which I read was voted one of the top ten dive sites in the carribean. Again, it was ok but definitely not a top 10 (or top 50). I like to try different sites (been all over world), so I do not need to have great dives all the time. Boca Chica is a fun little town (if not a bit sleazy) for a week of diving with the guys. It is inexpensive and easy to access from the airport and from NY. I would not reccomend a dive trip here with the family.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have been asking about diving spots in the south near boca chica for years. Nobody ever responds. The reef in Boca Chica is pretty much dead with very limited fish etc.

I have heard there are a couple of nice diving spots in guyacannes...very close to BC. But i have yet to find them.

I am disapointed on your report about Catalina. That is one excursion that I have sorta wanted to check out. I have heard that at least the snorkeling there is better than Saona.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
i have been asking about diving spots in the south near boca chica for years. Nobody ever responds.

There's a long continuous reef with just one sand channel cutting through going east from the megaport. I just checked the coordinates on my google earth the reef is 2.94 km. I've done the whole thing, I know. East from the eastern end there are some smaller mountains before another long reef. The small mountains are very hard to find, without a sonar and gps forget it. I have never seen any other divers there except my buddies. Even those "in the know" haven't been there when they finally get there and see. I know that as well (arrogant today). Now, there's no free lunch, the top of these reefs are between 70 ft and 100 ft, and on the south side these are going down to 150 ft++. Start practising.

I have heard there are a couple of nice diving spots in guyacannes...very close to BC. But i have yet to find them.

Same, fantastic reef. Further from the coast and a little deeper. No diveshops bring your own stuff.

The point I'm trying to make here is there are plenty of reefs, but the shallow reefs are cleaned up, destroyed. Some of the deeper reefs are really good, but without preparation it's not possible to do a safe dive on them. Keep practising.

And BTW I'm not a diving instructor.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
You should check out guyacannes. Diving isn't such a hot idea in Boca Chica. There is major pollution and runoff of lead and mercury from the nearby port. I would avoid.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
There is major pollution and runoff of lead and mercury from the nearby port.

That's right the water is polluted over on that side, go the other way, the further away from the Mega Port (a few km) the better. Unfortunately I'm not broadcasting the coordinates.