Cell Phone in R.D.?

H

H. Green

I thought I remembered a thread about U.S. cell phones being compatable with systems in R.D. Can you bring down a phone and have someone like Codetel provide service on a monthly basis? If yes, what type of phone is compatable (digital, analog? We will be in La Romana for a few months. Any info is appreciated.

M

max

right now there are 4 cell phone companies:
codetel, tricom, orange (france telecom) and centennial (all america cable).
analog type cell phones are being discontinued throughout the country, you can still connect one though.
dual band and digital cell phones are the types being used right now, they must operate at 1900 mhz cdma (codetel, centennial and tricom) or gsm technology (orange)
however centennial and orange don't have much coverage since they've been around for only a few months

J

Jim Hinsch

"analog type cell phones are being discontinued throughout the country"

Analog phone manufacturing is being phased out, however that has nothing to do with cellular service in the DR. Analog service is not being discontinued. In fact, it is still the most common, not only in the DR, but throughout the world.

C

Chris

from rainer - webmaster domrep.ch i`ve got this interesting link

http://www.gsmworld.com/gsminfo/maps/do/tp/1_1_1.htm

chris

D

Dee DeMusis

Thanks for this thread, guys. I had the question, too. I just sent a phone [originally purchased here in the States]back to SDQ for a friend in my old mission post. It's a Samsung phone. I am glad to hear that our phones will work on Santo Domingo, because I want to use mine when I come down again. Appreciate the info ALOT!!!!!!!!