Haitian Market in Pedernales

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I hope to be visiting Bahia Aguillas at the end of this month and while I was there I would like to spend part of the day in Pedernales. Is there a frontier market similar to Jimani in Pedernales and if so on what days? Does it sell clothes etc or just food? Is it necessary to cross the border? In Jimani the border guards just waved us through and the same comming back.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm going to Bah?a de las ?guilas next week and would like to know some things as well.

If the market is in Haiti, can we go on foot or do we have to have a car or a motoconcho?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Probably not many conchos or motoconchos in Bahia de Las Aguilas. It's a good distance from Pedernales.

The border crossing and market are just a few blocks from "downtown" Pedernales. Heck, you could just walk.

I don't know if the procedures have changed in Jimani, but you will have to surrender your passport for the Immigrations Officer to take it into town to check it out on their computer. They don't have online access at the border. It takes about 30-60 minutes. And you'll have to pay $US10 to cross.

The market is on the DR side of the border, just a few meters from the gate.

I think the market is open 2 days a week, Friday and another day. Maybe Wednesday? We went on a Thursday and the experience was rather unremarkable.

Reactions: mariel

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
Quick Visit

If you are in Pedernales, the market is monday's on the bordersite to DR.
All other days you find a lot of haitian guides who like to "invite" you for a quick visit to Haiti.
You just go to the custom, show your passport and you go over the bridge to "Haiti". This cost nothing and is limited in time.
If you want to see a real market, in Jimani is a daily borderline market. Mal Pase. You can go their also by feet. For tourists mayby interesting for sightseeing, nothing to buy. Most of merchandise is rice, beans. Harina.
I believe you have a car to go to Bahia de Las Aguilas, so go further to Pedernales. 13km
more on th? coast-road. Conchos? I never have seen some in Las Cuevas, waiting for tourists. Taxi? Same. Normally people go with own transport or car, or guided excursion.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I assume that on coming back to DR you must buy another tourist card?

Why does it take so long to check the passport? Or is that time counting the time you stand in line, etc.?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I assume that on coming back to DR you must buy another tourist card?

Why does it take so long to check the passport? Or is that time counting the time you stand in line, etc.?
The last two times we were there there were no lines. The were non-market days.

The Immigration Officer had to moto the passports to town because they had no computer in their office. And, yes, the $10 was for a tourist card upon returning. I had a bad feeling when the passports took off but they came back...in what seemed like hours (but was really maybe 30 minutes.)

I have no idea of the "official" Haitian immigration policy. I've never seen an Immigration Office on the other side, even in jimani, although there may be one.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Wow, the question is now if we have the guts to surrender our passports just like that....I don't have enough patience or nerves....I have color copies in case our passports get stolen (knock on wood) and the # of our embassy but I don't know if we dare...

So then to summarize: 10US on entering Haiti and 10US on entering DR (tourist card) per head? (sorry for the dumb-a$$ question)

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
Maybe depending what officer? Last time I was there (Feb.2009) they don't ask for money. But to be honest Mariel, what do you like to see? And yes, it is per head! Or per tourist. I think you will see much more in Jimani. My last time there was together with ECOTOURS and we get not charged for anything to enter the market.

If you are interested in products, I just read in Lonely Planet that there is a famous market on the border to Elias Pina. But check what days. As I remember it was Thursday/Monday (no guarantee on that).
This market is more for the locals. Tourists you will not see many in this region.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Nothing really, I just wanted to cross the border, take a picture of me and that's it. I can live without that :) We're not even bringing our passports, we'll visit the sights in Pedernales and that's it.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Market Timing

Thanks for all the replies. The latest Lonely Planet Guide says the market days are Monday and Friday. It doesn't sound like much but my novia said she would like to try and get some "bargains" at the market before we head back to the capital. She has it in her head that they give stuff away at the boarder markets. I am not so sure it's worth the effort but we will probably fit a visit in if we are there on the right day. A day at Bahia Aguillas and a visit to Hoyo Pelempito are the main reason for going, with one overnight in Perdenales. Any ideas as to the best time of day to go to Bahia Aguillas on the boat from Las Cuevas? We are going to try and hook up with some other people to keep the cost of the boat ride down.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Brian: I was told that the market in Pedernales is also Mondays and Fridays. Where are you staying in Pedernales?

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Pedernales

I have been debating if I should stay a night or try to do it in a day trip from the coast near San Rafael or Los Patos. I wanted to go to the market and spend a few hours at Bahia Aguillas. If I stay in Perdenales I will try to get a room at Villas Del Mar but I am flexible if they are full. Once I make up my mind I will call them.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
We went to Pedernales Tuesday to Thursday this week and stayed at Do?a Chava for 750 pesos per room per night with a/c, without I think it's 650. For 130 pesos you get a continental breakfast and if you want it with mang? then it's 160.

If you go on a weekday you're most likely gonna be "alone" in Las Cuevas, but I was offered a boat trip there and back for 1500 pesos for me and hubby (altogether), by the girl who was the waitress at Rancho T?pico. We went first to Pelempito in the morning and at about noon at Las Cuevas/Bah?a.

Now it all comes down to your ability to negotiate and haggle (or your girlfriend's) ;)

Since we didn't go to Barahona or surrounding areas, I can't say if it's good to do all that in a one-day trip or not. Be aware that there's a part of the road between Enriquillo and Juancho that's very bad, where there's a bridge under construction (since a long time ago).

Disclaimer: I know what the sights are called, I was just lazy and shortened their names. Will not happen again :)

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Good Information

Thank you for the update mariel. I will be at Las Cuevas probably on a Thursday or Friday. I will try my hand at negotiating the boat trip. Where is Rancho Tipico where you talked to the girl?

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Rancho T?pico is just by the entrance of Las Cuevas, which is about 3-4 km from Cabo Rojo.

The way I remember getting there is following the paved road from Pelempito and pass the Cabo Rojo air strip and the "destacamento". Then the road goes straight and turns left, we turned left all the way till a new cement factory, then we turned right and continued straight until we found the place. Cobraboy has pictures of the place, and the latest Lonely Planet guide has better directions than this.

If you don't like the price at Rancho T?pico, walk a little bit further in and talk to the community boat guys.

OT: remember you telling me to check with my bank about the credit card covering the CDW? After spending one morning talking to several people, we came to the conclusion that our credit cards don't cover squat, thus we took a tour.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Perdenales Market

I went to the Perdenales market on a Friday. It was easy and interesting. The deals on food were not that good, the deals on bedclothes etc were very good, the deals on clothes and shoes were not that good. We were told that on differant days of the month the market will have sales of certain item. For example second Friday of the month there are a lot more clothes. third Monday of the month more bulk rice and beans etc. We were only there for one day so I can't be sure this is true.