"Macuteo"

O

Oneida

>>10. PLD denounces "macuteo" is back
>> The secretary general of the PLD, Jos? Tom?s P?rez denounced that "macuteo," the greasing of hands to expedite matters, is back in public institutions. The practice had been practically eradicated during the past government. P?rez urged that President Hip?lito Mej?a put a stop to the rebirth of the practice, to avoid the country's institutions taking steps backwards. He denounced that personnel at service institutions such as customs and ground transport are requesting money to perform or expedite public services. He said the "buscones", or service facilitators have again linked up with government employees for their mutual benefit. He said that it has become difficult to get a pass on a driver test unless one agrees to pay.<<
Source: DR1 News, 12/19/2000

...Sad indeed! a very sad state of afairs...
I remember going into the Rentas Internas office in 1999 to pay my real estate taxes: in and out in 15 minutes, receipt in hand - a newly computerized system. I remember traffic cops not stopping my husband to ask him for money to buy gas or breakfast: macuteo officially stopped. I remember when I could relax while driving and not be paranoid because any minute a traffic cop would threaten to put me in jail, for crossing a red light that to my eyes and everyone else's was green, unless we gave him money - an acceptable amount, that is...I remember the promises of "normal" electricity service after privatization....

Why is "macuteo" back? I believe "macuteo", "picoteo", "chantajeo" - you name it - is a way of life for most of these people - "buscones"; it is a culture - a bad one, but a culture
nevertheless. But it was shown that it can be stopped. Why cann't the present government keep things the way they were last
year? Why can we not live in a system where public employees
recognize the rest of the population as their customers and the ones who disburse the money that pay for their salaries??
Does the government need money to raise these buscones' salaries?
Should the administration create a fund and bring in money by
setting fines for those who throw trash in the streets? or those who endanger the lives of children and adult alike by parking their cars in the sidewalk leaving no space for those strange beings ("people") to walk? any ideas...? Or Am I too idealistic? Is it possible that the buscones finally get a decent salary and continue to be buscones...? What worked so fine for the past administration? Does any body know? Can anyone give a hint to the present one?

As the world moves forward into the new millenium, to embrace
new frontiers of progress, more and better empowerment, and upward mobility...where is the Dominican Republic going...? or better said...where is it being taken...? The powers that be better listen to words of wisdom - such as Henry Comber's message on the need for education; but you don't need to be wise or smart, you only need to have eyes to see the need, the huge need for education, not just in technology, computers, finances and languages, but also civic education, moral education,
education in humanities; our home education - remember, home sweet home?

For what good is it to have 2 million computers, plenty of bilingual operators and business managers, if the streets are full of trash, the water pipes are full of infested water, businesses have no electricity to do their business, customs, passports and other public offices are staffed with unscrupulous, corrupt, uncivilized bilingual high tech computer operators, experts and financiers????

Remember, that technology, businesses and computers are as good as the people who manage them. So, we better get into the business of educating dominicans or we're lost...

God bless the Dominican Republic; happy holidays to you all.

(I am a non-partisant, apolitical, Dominican-born and raised US Citizen...)

T

tgf

Oneida,
Excellent, thought provoking, post. I guess that the changes the PLD introduced to "professionalize" the government and military hadn't had proper time to become institutionalized. As such, the PRD government officials are finding that "business as usual" is more important than remembering they are in office because of the will of the people, rather than just the party.

T

Tim D

HI,

I realize that is not a political forum so I will make this a brief statement.

The reality is that regardless of what form of goverment exist things in my beautiful Island Nation will continue as they are until a fundamental way in which it's governed occurs. Hipolito Mejia and his cohorts are no different than Balaguer and his cohorts. They speak out of one side of their mouth when campaining and out of the other when they are in power. They are to busy filling their pockets with money that belongs to the people.

What should we do? Nosotros no estamos preparado para sacrificarnos y hacer los cambios necesarios. Hasta que estemos listos para hacerlo vamos a seguir siendo reducido a seguir los mandatos de los extranjeros y su pervesos deseos.

T

T

tgf

Tim,
When you mention foreigners with their perverse desires (wishes), to what exactly are you referring to? The IMF, World Bank, foreign investors in tourism, foreign government influences? Was Leonel Fernandez different from the other Dominican politicians? Do you really think government corruption was something that was introduced by outside influences or a historical legacy from the Spanish colonial experience? As I understand it, Santana wasn't adverse to making a few pesos on the side during the middle of the 19th century. Dependency issues will always be in the path of Dominican growth. As long as a country is dependent on outside energy sources, which the Dominican Republic is (petroleum and most other sources of fuel), can the DR ever really have a strong control on its own destiny? I know, questions, questions, and more questions. You and Oneida have brought up some really thought provoking issues. This could be a really good discussion on serious issues facing the Dominican Republic.

I

ivan Erickson

I like your post. Sadly, the masses in any country, have always stumbled on their own historical amnesia.(dementia?) Look at The US. The village idiot takes over and the vicious Cycle starts again. I never thought Balager would ever come back to power, but the people obviously forgot the twelve years. Hipolito Mejia and George Bush are reaping the benefit of "Democracy", hopefully, the lesson will be that to make progress we often must take a few steps backwards.

B

Burmell

Since you call Pres. elect W. Bush the village idiot, you must have college degrees a mile long. I Will even take the village idiot over the village pervert anyday.

T

tgf

Burmell, the reference by Ivan Erickson comes from the predictions made by Nostradamus. The full quote is the following.

In 1555, Nostradamus wrote:

"Come the millennium, month twelve,
In the home of greatest power,
The village idiot will come forth
To be acclaimed the leader."

This is truly something Nostradamus wrote. Now you may think he's a crackpot or a great seer, but this board is about Dominican issues. Let's ignore the prediction and get back to the original subject of the post - macuteo and the DR's political climate.
Any viewpoints on these issues?

D

Duarte

All I can say is "all of you, Dominicans who voted for the PRD, my family included, deserve this and more. Any reasoning human being would know that this are the same people who governed for 8 years - from 1978 to 1986 - and left the country in ruins. The country has taken a step backwards, by about 4 years at least. These people have no vision or goals as to where to steer the country. Even worse is that they don't care. I'm one of those dominicans who wants to go back to his country someday, but when I see the stupidity of dominican people, it makes it realy hard to take that step and decide to go back. It hurts me deeply to see my beloved country in such hands, but then again people deserve the government they elect. To be honest I have given up any hopes that the maladies that affect this country, which are not that great, will be addressed seriously within my lifetime. When I talk to my family, they tell me things are really bad, bla bla bla... And I feel like telling them to shove it. That they deserve it for being so stupid...(They all voted for the PRD).

C

CES

Hi Duarte,

My wife is 'una Dominicana' and we want to retire in the DR next year, so as part of
her vacation (she just got back from a 30 day stay with her sister) in the "El
Millonsito" area of Santo Domingo Mrs. CES started investigating "the lay of the land"
for the lack of a better term. Some of the things we've talked about in the mean time
are very encouraging, the move still sounds like the "right thing" for our future.

The Dominican Republic will survive the PRD "locusts" and see a better day, in the
mean time 'los pobres' will suffer and the party fatefuls will prosper (steal every thing
possible) with all the new opportunities created by the Hip?lito's regime.

Regards,

. . . CES