Unacceptable...Canadian Embassy in Haiti is dysfunctional!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
What are they doing in Haiti....seriously

My husband was called to pick up his proof of relationship documents and passport and visa on March 30.

When we arrived they only had the proof of relationship documents and told us the passport was sent separately on April 1 and we would have to come back this week to get it.

Yesterday my husband was went to pick up his passport and visa.

He went alone to get it because I couldnt make the trip twice with our little baby in the bus for 9 hours.

He got his passport and visa and there was a 2nd visa in his passport....by coincidence belonging to a friend of ours.

They crossed out the wrong visa with an x....no official stamp or document indicating it has been voided out.

This morning Haiti called to say he cant go to Canada with 2 visas in his passport. I have been told this has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE and they dont know how to deal with it.

We are now waiting to see what they are going to do about it as his medical expires on April 23 and everything is closing for Semana Santa.

Our flight is booked for April 16......who wants to make bets whether we are all on the plane together?!

They really need to get their act together....this is ridiculous!

Sangria

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Your taxes at work. Try contacting your MP, that seems to be helpful to people lately. Good luck.

princesa_pineda

May 13, 2008
Sangria,

I can't believe that happened...that is insane that they messed up something so important and all they say is that they don't know how to fix it. I wish you luck with getting that sorted out.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
You are still a Canadian citizen and resident. He should be able to have access to your file and see what went wrong, and hopefully help you.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
haiti just called again, we are to go to the embassy in haiti on tuesday to have the 2nd persons visa voided.

WHAT A WASTE....they have been sending all over the place....i wish i could bill them for our time and trouble.

on a positive note, i guess we will still be able to go home together next thursday

liam you have to sign a declaration for them to have permission to access your file which is impossible across the ocean....

Johana

May 24, 2006
Ok this is absolutely crazy!!!

When I went to my MP I didn't have to sign anything and they contacted Haiti twice on our behalf. Actually, I was quite amazed that all I had to do was provide both our full names and birthdates and voila they had access to the information.

But why are they making you travel to Haiti when it's their mistake? Considering their own website advises against all non-essential travel to the country and it's their mistake they should send an officer to Santo Domingo and at least meet you there.

Although I'm sure at this point you're willing to go just to get the visa sorted out so you can all come home together as planned. I'm sure you will be very greatful once you reach Canadian soil :)

Hopefully the other person will now not have trouble because their visa was "issued" and "cancelled".

Best of luck and we'll all be waiting for your post that you made it to Canada together.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
the other person is ok....thank goodness they are our friends so they are straightening everything out for them.

our 2 options are to courier our passport back to haiti and because of semana santa it would not arrive until late next week. my husbands medical expires apr 23 and he needs to be in canada before that date. there isnt enough time to send the courier both ways.

the other option is to go to haiti and have the 2nd visa cancelled ... done and easy in 1 day...i hope.

if we didnt have a deadline of april23 we would use the courier but we want this done and need it done quickly.

I HATE IMMIGRATION!!!

todiscover

May 17, 2007
wow sangria...this is just too much eh.
Well at least we know that Socio's visa is around the corner :)

todiscover

May 17, 2007
Sangria,
Just a thought...
It may be a good idea for 'Socio' to go with your huband to Sto. Domingo on Tues to make sure that he is present to ensure that his visa is fixed at the same time.
this way, they are both present and can raise hell to ensure that it doesnt negatively impact his. Otherwise, they may take their sweet time with his again because they know his medicals dont expire soon.

just a thought...

bjnissa

Sep 15, 2008
wow these people are unbelievable! Sorry to hear it, and hope it works out for you guys.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
update!

we ended up only having to go to santo domingo to have the 2nd visa cancelled.

we went into the receptionists window...she took the passport and came back 2 minutes later.

all they did was put a stamp that says cancelled on it and crossed out the other persons name with a black marker.

it was not official even though they said they were going to use a visa cancelling machine....i could have done it myself...and they wanted us to go to haiti for that...it would have cost us about $500 US to go and back with bus and hotel and taxis etc.

thank goodness it is resolved.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Glad you didn't have to travel to Haiti and that you were able to get this resolved to keep your flight reservations!!!!

Good luck tomorrow :)

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I'm so happy for you Sangria! I hope everything goes well for you, your husband, and your daughter tomorrow at the airport. And we'll have to get together soon once your husband is all settled in! :) Hope to talk to you soon!

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Sangria,
Thank GOD for that!!!

Now you don't have to worry about a thing!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Omg!!

Hi Sarah!!

I just read this thread - I am sorry you had to go through all that stress BUT I am very excited that you will be flying home together tomorrow!!!

Congratulations!!!! I am very happy for you and your family!!!!!

Next time you are over this way you will have to make sure you take an extra day to come and see us!!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
For sure lexi!! We will set some time aside...need to show my husband the big mall too!!!

We are home safe and sound!

We had a little hassle at the airport in POP but my husband knows the immigration director and all was fine within a matter of minutes.

No problems in Toronto whatsoever.

Thank goodness it is finally finished!

My husband made his first snowball yesterday with the last of the snow and helped to put my fathers sailboat in the water at the marina this morning. He is so happy and settling in quite nicely!

Sangria

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Congratulations again Sarah!! That is such wonderful news!! I am glad he got to make a snowball before it disappears!!

I saw you posted on the Completed Timelines thread - didn't it feel good?? I remember finally getting to post our timeline and I was over the moon. I had only been able to read, re-read and re-read everyone else's timelines for so long that when I finally got the chance to post my own it was such an amazing feeling!!