My Trip Report

srd

Jan 31, 2009
www.glovercharles.ning.com
My first impression was, "am I in the Bronx?" Once I settled in I was on foot. The taxis made me nervous so I did alot of walking the first 2 days. I was able to get alot of pictures by being on foot. There is so many beautiful historical sites. I stayed right next to Ruinas de San Francisco on Calle Duarte. I enjoyed waking up every morning to the music being played at the area stores. I met Julio Rosso the Presidente of La Leyenda del Cigarro on Calle Mercedes. Very nice man he gave me a free cigar (boy those are strong after a few puffs he told me not to inhale, opps my bad, lol). I loved going to Mercado Modelo. Miguel Diaz of Miguel Gift Shop spoke alittle english and was very helpful. Carlos Baez of D'Caramblarc Gift Shop sold me the Mamajuana (couldn't wait to crack that open). Those Amber and Larimar are beautiful stones but I really loved the mahagonay cups and trays (very expensive). Tried Mangu and Sancocho (I couldn't leave without getting the recipe). In El Conde I bought some costume jewelry from Mi Gusto & Inka Accesorios (I was surprised how many were "made in china"). Going to Los Tres Ojos was def. a treat (I love this kind of natural beauty).

Here are a few places I crossed in my path:
Museo de las Casa Reales
Casa del Colon
Casa Reales
Larimar Factory
Ruinas el Hospital San Nicolas de Bari
Reloj de Sol
Fuerte Invencible
Capilla de los Remedios
Panteon Nacional
Parque Colon
Museo de Armas
Boca Chica

Statue of Fray Anton de Montesin

I'd like to go back maybe for the Merengue festival.

Shawniqua Glover's Photos - Rep. Dominicana March 2009 | Facebook

srd

Jan 31, 2009
www.glovercharles.ning.com
LOL at the comments. I guess it took a minute for them to warm up to me. Being from the caribbean I'm use to saying good morning even to strangers. But I enjoyed my stay and hope to come back soon. So many more places to see and do and eat.

Ohhhh forgot to mention. My last day I went for a walk in El Conde and sat at the park. This man sat next too me:

SRD: Buen dia
Man: Hola mi amor
SRD: Tu habla ingles
Man: A lil
SRD: Ok
Man: Are you enjoying your stay in D.R.
SRD: Very much so, hope to come back again
Man: Didi you have sex?
SRD: No
Man: Then you did not enjoy your stay.
SRD: LMAO
Man: You want sex?
SRD: No (gets up) you have a good day

Off to the airport. Gotta love it!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nice photos Shawniqua. Sound like you enjoyed yourself and have a good sense of humour.

Unnecessary comment removed.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I'd like to ask what camera you used to take the photos in los tres ojos and what settings and flash you used to get that beautiful color coming off the water.

The photos are excellent!!!