Driving from Santiago to cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

crui

Jan 31, 2009
Hi all, Im renting a car in Santaigo and driving to Cabarete. What is the best route to take? Is renting a car for this trip a bad idea. I've heard that tourists get harassed by the local police and are forced to pay bribes. I'm going to be in cabarete for a week and I wanted to be able to check out the coast.
Thanks for the help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are cheaper alternatives. Buses to Cabarete and local guaguas that go up and down the coast with no hassles...

We fight all the time as to the best way to get to Cabarete from the airport.

If you rent at the airport go to the left as you leave the terminal (towards the Fed Ex offices) and go straight. At the end, turn left again,and go to the end. Then about 14 kilometers as you start to come into Moca, there is a major road that comes in from the left (almost the only one), and you take the left. You should see a Texaco on your right maybe 100 yards up the road...

Anyway, that road goes to the Jamao crossroads. There is a small green police station
on your right, and you take the right and go up the hill and follow the road until it reaches the North Coast highway...then you turn left once more and get to Cabarete in about 5 minutes.

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I would also highly recommend that you take the road to Moca and drive the short mountain route which is very pretty and fairly safe down through Jamao almost to Sabaneta where you will then turn left to get to Cabarete - just watch out for the vehicles which cut the corners and are therefore on "your" side of the road rather than their own! Happy travelling...

Jan 17, 2009
The road through Moca is what we take because it's the shortest, but we've been in the DR for some years now and drive to Santiago often. If you decide to take this road, do not do it if you arrive in an evening flight and plan to come directly to Cabarete. It's just too dangerous driving on the mountain road at night; IMO not worth the risk.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Sabaneta - Moca

I agree that it should not be taken at night, but this is one of the most scenic drives in the country. I didn't get a good photo of it, but at one point (near the restaurant Il Molino) you can see almost the whole valle de cibao. Here's a pic of the mountains about 10 minutes out of Moca:

mtnroad1.jpg

I made this drive 4 times on my last trip and loved every mile of it.

Chris

Last edited:

crui

Jan 31, 2009
Thanks

Thanks guys, I am arriving in Santiago at 3:30 am so it sounds like it will be dark when I reach the mountain road. Is it really too dangerous at night? Is there another route you could recommend? Maybe I'll get some breakfast before I start the drive, it sounds like there are some great views to see.

Thanks Again

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Forgot to add - any road here is too dangerous in the dark. Only drive around the town you are in and stay off the highways after dark.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Thanks guys, I am arriving in Santiago at 3:30 am so it sounds like it will be dark when I reach the mountain road. Is it really too dangerous at night? Is there another route you could recommend? Maybe I'll get some breakfast before I start the drive, it sounds like there are some great views to see.

Actually by the time you get your bags, clear customs, rent the car and drive out there the sun should be coming up, especially if you stop for breakfast. Enjoy the drive. I would love to see it at that hour.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.