Dogs don't eat dogs?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
A lady friend and business associate of mine (in other words, not a sankiette, nor somebody I ever did bed), is a single mother. She is a UASD graduate in a technical profession and brilliant at her work. She has been able to raise her daughter which is now less than 10 years old, send her to a quite expensive school in Santo Domingo and offer her a solid home being a fairly high paid professional.

The father, well, he is a lawyer who incidentally specializes in family law... mostly divorces. They never were married and he now has an other family with more kids and lives in a fancy home, drives a jeepeta, short the works in Santo Domingo too.

He has only shown some limited interest in his daugher on sporradic basis, NEVER paid any alimony or child support on a regular basis (he has a couple of occasions let go a couple of hundred and thousand Pesos here and there).
On the other hand, the mother has never really effectively fought for such support as she has been quite able to look after the child on her own and with the initial help of her parents.

As the father signed for the child, they have joint custody. Which means, that while she foots the bill for most everything, if she only wants to sign her up for school, she need to beg for HIS signature.

She has thus decided that she wants to have sole custody of the child she is raising alone and without his dedicated help or have him pay his share.

The problem is, she is about tired of knocking on lawyers' doors which, once they hear her out, either flat out refuse to represent her against a fellow lawyer or even try to BS her into just fading away and forget about it.

So, dogs don't eat dogs?

What recurse is there?

... J-D.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
nah, one pigeon does not peck out the eye of another. At least, thats how the saying goes in German.

She needs to find the right lawyer I guess, the problem is hearing the truth, most will not tell you they will not go against another lawyer, but they will dance around the issue, or like you say 'try to BS her into just fading away.'

Maybe a former prosecutor that has a bone to pick with this lawyer?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife, who is knowledgeable about such things says that she doesn't require an signatures from the father for school ( only if he is paying). Unfortunately he has his rights as a father until the girl is 18, meaning to leave the country...etc she'll need his signature. Since she requires his signature she might as well get child support, which she is entitled. As far a lawyer's going after lawyers, she just hasn't got the right one yet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She should see a real lawyer who can sue for 10 years of unpaid child support, educational expenses and all other monies owed for his child. As well as making sure he quakes in his shoes when she cals for a letter so his daughter can travel.

As long as his name is on the birth certificate he is in hock to the mother for another 8 years...

I have a name if you need it.

HB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
She should see a real lawyer who can sue for 10 years of unpaid child support, educational expenses and all other monies owed for his child. As well as making sure he quakes in his shoes when she cals for a letter so his daughter can travel.

As long as his name is on the birth certificate he is in hock to the mother for another 8 years...

I have a name if you need it.

HB

You have been faster than me. When he'll see $$$$$ he'll have to pay, he will probably sign whatever papers that lady needs or wants him to sign.