Dominicans into reggae ??

elgoon

Apr 10, 2009
Dimelo Tambo,

Si ese es mi grupo. estamos buscando un bajista ahora mismo, pero ya pronto hay pal de guisos aqui en NYC.

g

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
As a Jamaican, I like! Nice fusion of different music styles.
There was a thread, about a week ago, asking about reggae bands in the DR.
Hard to find on the island.
Do you ever perform in the DR?

elgoon

Apr 10, 2009
There's actually a lot of reggae fans in the island, just not much reggae being made there. That's slowly changing though.
I actually grew up listening to reggae, mostly Bob Marley, and knew a lot of people that were into reggae.
We're planning on doing some gigs over there, but still trying to work with promoters that would fly us there.

I'm actually going to be in Caberete in May, though not with the band, just with some friends, maybe Ill get to talk to some people about playing there.

Thanks for listening Thandie.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Small world.....

Sup? I'm Dominican and I live in NYC, AND I play sweet reggae music.

im trying to connect with other Dominicans that are into roots reggae (bob, Burning, Israel Vibrations, etc.)

El Pueblo on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Hey, good sounds. Good vibe. It's a small world. A year ago I ran across your page, as I was looking for young Dominican artists doing new stuff in music. I wrote an article about it, but I ran out of time to get a hold of the group and you are based in NY, which added some difficulties. Anyways, good to see you on DR1.

There are a few reggea bands here, underground though. Son Abril and El Batey are the first to come to mind. Actually, I was at a reggea concert at Encuentro Artesanal a few months ago with a group of Dominican Rastas, which was interesting. The music was good. There style was more Capleton, Sizzla and on that vibe. Still good though. I will try to get the name if I can remember. There is an underground reggea culture here, you just have to dig. Keep making vibes.

Mr. Lu

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
There are a few reggea bands here, underground though. Son Abril and El Batey are the first to come to mind. Actually, I was at a reggea concert at Encuentro Artesanal a few months ago with a group of Dominican Rastas, which was interesting. The music was good. There style was more Capleton, Sizzla and on that vibe. Still good though. I will try to get the name if I can remember. There is an underground reggea culture here, you just have to dig. Keep making vibes.
Mr. Lu

Hey Lu,
El Batey or Batey Cero? Is this the group you are talking about?
YouTube - Batey Cero

I wish I would have known about that concert. I am always hearing about events after the fact, unfortunately. :ermm: Would have loved to hear some local live reggae!
The underground reggae culture, must be really underground here because I did a lot of digging and asking and couldnt find what I was looking for. Guess I never bumped into any Dominican Rastas. Now that would have been interesting!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Hey Lu,
El Batey or Batey Cero? Is this the group you are talking about?
YouTube - Batey Cero

I wish I would have known about that concert. I am always hearing about events after the fact, unfortunately. :ermm: Would have loved to hear some local live reggae!
The underground reggae culture, must be really underground here because I did a lot of digging and asking and couldnt find what I was looking for. Guess I never bumped into any Dominican Rastas. Now that would have been interesting!

Hey Thandie,

There are always great concerts in the CZ and other parts of the city. I usually run into stuff. That group is Batey. They have changed their name as they are re-shuffling the line-up. I am friends with the singer. He is a cool cat. The other reggea group is called Fundacion Negra Rastafari. It is a real reggea/rasta group, invoking the name of Jah and H.M. H. Selassie at all times. They've been around for a few years now. Like I said there are Dominican rastas, just have to dig.

Mr. Lu

Angua

May 29, 2009
I guess La Espiral in the CZ is a good place to find reggae-people. i'll try it out this sunday :)

El Batey is great, by the way, and i'm excited about the disc coming out ;)

Angua

May 29, 2009
For everybody who is interested:

Bob Marley Tribute with some of the best Musicians of DR in Cinema Caf?!!!

Tomorrow Saturday june, 6th 10pm!!!

It's gonna be awesome!!!!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah Batey, Son Abril, Fundacion Negra Rastafari are pretty much the only known bands. There is Ysrael from Haiti which plays every once in a while, and they're pretty good. If you PM I can get you some contacts for a guy that manages a bunch of bands.

Angua

May 29, 2009
I know batey and sonabril, i heard about fundacion negra rastafari and ysrael but i actually never saw the last 2 live.
but i'd like to take the chance to see them ;)

Let me know...

pucca

Mar 30, 2010
Found the right place.. count me in..and im looking to meet rastas in the area

Irie... Jah Bless