Chinese influence in Latin America - Good or Bad?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I guess the US, Europe and if you think about it, the rest of the world must not understand that either.;):cheeky:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Chinese place in the world

Starting to see me real point, I see. The US is beholding to China in a big way. With more Chinese involvement in the DR, that could mean more bad than good for the DR. It appears inevitable that China will continue to having increasing influence in world affairs. Of course, a communist country with great power cannot be a positive thing.

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Ok, so let's review. We've got a country with depraved indifference to the welfare of it's own people sending poisonous baby formula, prescription meds, and toothpaste into western markets....including the DR. Was there a serious question here?

Reactions: MikeFisher

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Well I for one, appreciate the many Chica Pico Pollo locations located between La Romana and Punta Cana. Why starve when their pollo is finger zinging good!:cheeky:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Ok, so let's review. We've got a country with depraved indifference to the welfare of it's own people sending poisonous baby formula, prescription meds, and toothpaste into western markets....including the DR. Was there a serious question here?

Yes, all that is true. However, the point that A.Hidalgo makes cannot be underestimated or dismissed lightly. China has invested heavily in US and European financial markets, seriously helping those economies stay afloat. Of course, this is mutually beneficial for all concerned. I doubt the US and Eurpean countries are in any danger of becoming communistic, or of showing depraved indifference to thier citizens, or any of those other monstrous things that can be imagined, as a consequence of China's investments.

The question really is what kind of influence you anticipate China's investment portends. Although I am certainly no expert on such matters, I have not heard that the investments that China has made in the Dominican Republic comes with strings attached, accept of course, that there be a return on the investment, and I don't think that any other expectation would be acceptable.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
name me a spot where chinese investments had a bad influence on the country which willingly and gladly received the investment.
and the chinese investments actually look like they do not have the strings attached like the US investments in the past had which made the receiving countries slavelike.
if they give the needed billions to Chavez and he pays in return with cheap prized oil at a rate where that deal makes sence/benefits for his country, why should there be something bad b/c the stringless investment came from a communist country?
since years the well thought and strategically placed huge investments of the chinese look to me more capitalism like and much more wellthought/intelligent done than so many 'deals' the 'capitalists' did in the past.
of course the US does not like the vision of loosing "worldruling power", but they do since a long time, the actual crisis since last summer decreased the possibilities of the US to go on on their 'wrong' way, but as a matter of fact the red power is not just a big communist nest, it is a worldpower, and not just for the number of it's people, also for the money power they hold in hands and they place that very wellthought.
i would not be much surprised to see chinese currency rising in it's power to a point where it will be aside the "international" trading currencies. the US Dollar is weak like hell even with all the 'artificial' pushing from Obama, while the planned 2009 deals from the chinese side will raise the power of their currency worldwide and in a huge way on the Latin market.
heck, they purchased 2008 less than 400.000 barrels of oil from Venezuela per day and now they offer to purchase 1.000.000 barrels per day from now on.
what counter offer Obama with empty cashiers wanna do to top on such offers?
and they do not only step in the market down here, but in case of the Latin region they increase their investments by a huge amount and i do not see how americans or europeans could hold against that with such offers.
and the latin countries who receive those offers, name them a serious argument why to stick with a much lower invest plus a bunch of restrictions from the US or Europe and for that resist a generous 'restrictions free' offer from the chinese side.
i guess the chinese could give Obama a loan to solve his financial trouble right away, but why should they do so?
they sit back and gain political power and rights on important resources like the oil where ever they can to control that way their worldpower counterparts, like the others would do and did over decades the same way, just that some economies showed last year up as unreliable on the long term, they went belly up.
the chinese have the knowledge, the education, the financial power to play the game on the top level, they should better be seen as a equal competitor who know's exactly what he is doing and wanna get out of it on the longer term, or their competitors who underestimate them by not acting accordingly/underestimating them will face the next number of crisises soon while the last by far is not resolved/stopped.
i am no communist, but i never been a world-ruling US fan neither.
actually the only financial power i see on the uprising way is the red one while others struggle and hold on their old and by the time long overdone 'ruling' methods/restrictions.
Mike

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Mike..how naive can you get? The Chinese cannot survive without Americans and the dollar. Everybody now blames the USA for the financial crisis. But where were the Chinese, the Brazilians and the Russians when the cash was flowing? The Russians were spending like there was no tomorrow. The Chinese were buying even stolen copper cables from Dominican Republic to build their miserable empire. The Chinese are up to their balls in U.S. Treasury Bills. They have no way to go but America. If Americans don't buy, the Chinese have no one to buy their fake products. What ever happen to the savior emerging economies of China, India and Brazil that were going to save the world financially? They are just gasping for air. Brazil is in their deepest recession ever. India has no one to sell their technology. I want to see you turn your dollars or pesos into Chinese currency and see how far you gonna get? Why not try Russian rubbles? Or what about your favorite Venezuelan Bolivars? Or even the "great" Euro. I had to get rid of all my Euro accounts. I lost big turning some of my dollars into euros. You can keep all the currencies in the world...I keep my dollars. I don't see anybody wanting to move to Shanghai, or Moscow, or Rio De Janeiro. For God's sake even Obama can't find an ambassador to China. Nobody wants to work in that boring enviroment. The Chinese are just good for Pica Pollos. They are slaves and will always be slaves. Jackie Chan was right. Freedom is not good for China. All their miserable life, from the Qan Di Dinasty where they built that useless wall to the present communist tyranny, the chinese are nothing more than slaves. They deserve being slaves. Talk about nasty SOB's, why don't you check how much they hate the Chinese in Nigeria's oil fields. The Chinese are most racist people in the world. They are for the Chinese only. I only wish the Americans had not turned over our customs to Trujillo and kept the American flag waving. Look how miserable we are under Dominican rule. Look how Cubans and Venezuelans fare under our own breed of dictators. You can't blame Castro,Chavez, Ortega, Evo Morales, the Kirschners on America. We put them there ourselves with our miserable votes. We love misery. What do we have for our votes? Leonel Fernandez. Give me a break! What a joke. Corruption and more corruption. Don't blame America for the mess in Mexico. Only the Mexicans are responsible for the lawless state(failed state) for all I know. America did not elect those corrupt anti-american politicians in Mexico. They didn't build Mexican's corrupt army and police. Only the Mexicans did. Or, are they so stupid that they could not build a nation? How come Texans flourished and Mexicans are eating enchiladas?-
Golo

Reactions: Celt202

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wow,
long rant Golo,
nice joke, too.
hey, i have no prob that a american feels proud to be american,
like i have no prob that a 'from what ever country men' feels proud to be a kid of his country. sure i will not start to answer to the racist meaning, specially not with an american, would be a huge joke my friend.
the chinese built the WALL?
yes,
and all other by their time big powers built their 'walls',
at least the chinese built it on their own,
the american 'wall' during cold war been the 'weapon', but the knowledge about that weapon did not came out of any american brain, did it?
the american dollar is one of the world currencies, no doubt about that fact, but as a matter of fact it is by far not the only one, the chinese isn't yet, but i await in the very near future it will be 'an other' additional world currency, too.even that the chinese do not need their own currency to be one, b/c they own enough Yen, Euros and Dollars to run their businesses big time.
Russian Rubels??
the russian big business guys have more US dollars at their order than Obama, thanks god they do not have the brain to make something big about it, i personally would not like to see that gang as a power again.
"NO american buys the chinese products"????
now we are def kidding, right?
as a matter of fact the 300+ millions of americans NEED to buy those chinese cheap products built by the 1.500 millions of chinese, they depend on the existance of those cheap chinese products, because they could not afford to purchase the 'american built' counterpart of those cheap american products, b/c not every american citizen is a Donald Trump who makes his money even out of his bancrupcies.
i got paid as a young adult in US Dollars$$$, (hey, i am German, yes), the exchange rate back in the day been a very comfo over 3 german marks for 1 US$ Dollar, it felt like heaven, and the currency went down in a short time period to less than half of what it was worth prior towards that German Mark, still got paid in US dollars, yeap, sure our weekend parties sized down to other much lower levels back in that time.
know what?
compared to the today's exchange rate between euro and dollar(even that the euro is at this moment compared to the dollar on a low level) and keeping in mind that the switch from German Marks to Euros been 2 marks for 1 euro, till today the dollar did not come back to it's former power compared to what it been prior to the convertion, under no precidency of what ever party/president or such. even actually under 1.30 dollars of worth per euro, a down point, it is still much higher than the expected move of that new currency, no need to cry from the european side, absolutely not in case of comparison to the dollar my friend.
the only point where european countries have to cry b/c of their strong currency is the fact that the american market can not afford to purchase much on the european market, b/c to buy in US dollars is too expensive due to the non-power of that currency.
i respect your rant of course as your patriotic opinion to defend your mother country when you feel that others may offend it, doesn't matter if offenses are based on factual reasons or not, it is what we do, but from my personal and only MY personal side of view of the globe and the stuff written above i have to claim that i do not agree on any single word of the post.
in many cases i see it as the opposite.
but that's just mine.
btw,
talking about the good brought to the globe by the US,
what again was that good thing they brought to our Island??

heck, don't start with mentioning McDonald/Donald Trump/Chevrolet or such.
most americans drive a foreign brand of car today's.
i drive a super reliable and reasonably priced Honda,
my PC i built on my own, pieces for that purchased mostly over e-bay from the US(do i need to mention that they All, absolutely ALL are sold but not made in the US?), my IBM laptop purchased in spain is built of 'far eastern' pieces.
if ya look for somebody to save the US and it's economy,
maybe it would not be that bad of an idea to finally send a good and reliable and intelligent(yeap, hard to find, i know) US Embassador to China, b/c those boys could be of help.
a country based on the high %%% of incomes due to it's weapons industries/technologies\weapons\ developments faces a tough time when the world comes together in a peaceful way.
Obama may be the first one in history who looks on such.
i wish him luck from deep inside.
peace
Mike

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Mike I believe Golo is Dominican and the best when it comes to ranting. No one can touch him on that.:cheeky: