How's La Romana

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
Hay Guys!!!

New to the forum, first I want to say that everyone seems to be pretty cool and I am glad to have found this site. My parents have a place in La Romana the last three years I have not been back for personal reasons and this summer I will be returning. The last time I was there I remember the crime rate being pretty high and muggings happening in broad day light. I will be traveling with my daughter for the first time she is only 3 and my step son who is 6 I am a bit nervouse I hear crazy stories here in NY about DR in general not bad enough to make not want to go back just enough to worry me. I want to know How is it? Has it gotten better? Should I be worried?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking, La Romana is a nice city. Of course it has its good places and not so good places. I don't know where your parents house is located, so I can't say what the area is like.
HB

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
My parents house is on El Espallet I don't know if that's the way you say it. But basically not too far from the stone church and the city park. Dont know if that's a good discription sorry. I was just worried about the kids people say crazy things and it makes me worry. Thanks for replying

lorenzocast

Apr 19, 2009
im dominican and mugging doesnt happen during the day atleast that ive heard, at night yes thats why you gotta be extremely carefull and if u see someone laying on the street don stop step on it and theyll move and drive with your window shut.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I'm a big fan of La Romana. It's plenty safe to walk the streets in the daytime, but of course at night you'll need to be in a car. I travel there freely, never worry about security. It's 5 minutes from Casa de Campo, they can't afford to let it get too out of hand.

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
A little more then 5 min from casa de campo but I get what your saying. I havn't been back in three years and the last time I was there boy I heard some horror stories. I was told I couldn't wear my jewlary as well. I am just worried because I am traveling with my kids that will stick out like sore thumbs, I can blend in but they wont be able to. Thanks for all the feedback.

swtness

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Hi Swtness, I have been traveling to La Romana for over a year now with my two blond blue eyed twin boys, so yes we stick out like a soar thumb. We have had no problems and regularly go for ice cream, Jumbo, spend time at my husbands families house etc... We attend Toros games and are careful when leaving to keep the boys close but that is more to make sure they don't get run over. The suggestion not to wear jewellery is a good one and have had that suggestion made by friends of mine in Santo Domingo. Sounds like you parents place is right in the centre of the city we aren't too far away in romana del oeste. You'll be fine, I'm assuming you have some spanish so can get along if you need help.

When are you heading down? We go down in August for 3 weeks.

Barbi

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
can you suggest any hotels in La romana city ? i don't like the resorts...

thanks