Travel to Haiti from the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vetania

Apr 22, 2008
I am including some information below on travel from the Frontera to Cap Haitiano in HGOING TO HAITI FROM THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.

In March of 2009, I took an amazing trip from Sosua in the Dominican Republic to Cap Haitiano in Haiti. From Sosua to the border, it takes about three and a half hours by car. I was with two Dominicans, one of whom drove a Jeep and left it at the border town of Dajabon.

We were stopped at the frontera and the two Dominicans were asked for visas, which were impossible to obtain as the Dominican Consulate down the street was closed. With a small bribe of 2500 pesos for both Dominicans, we were able to cross over with a taxi driver from Haiti. I did not pay any exit fee from the Dominican Republic nor an entry fee to go to the Haitian side. We drove past the Haitian Immigration station and the next thing we knew we were on a beautiful paved highway. We stopped for gasoline and the diver wanted $110 US for the complete trip but after some talk we agreed on $100 each way. After about two hours of passing many UN vehicles, we arrived in Cap Haitiano to be greeted everywhere by trucks, taxis, garbage and hordes of Haitians crowding the streets.

We stayed at the Hotel du Roi Christophe deep inside the old city. Don?t believe the price on the internet, as the lowest price for a room was about $114.00 plus 20 per cent taxes on everything. After a nice lunch with some local beers, we asked the driver to take us to La Citadelle la Ferriere, or the fortress on top of the mountain. The taxi driver had never been there so he must have lost a fair amount of money on the $20 each way. It was about an hour?s drive over the worst road imaginable.

Once there, we rented horses for 10 dollars each and were told that the entry fee was $5 US for each person. It was two hours up and one hour down by horseback but what a fortress and what a view! It really is one of the great wonders of the world. Definitely worth a visit. The guides were tipped $20 for all of them so it was up to them to decide who got what amount. It was completely dark all the way home as the whole area had no electricity. What a day!

Our driver arrived early at the hotel the next morning hoping to get some breakfast, We set off for the border again stopping on the way to see if the Voodoo priest was available. Sure he was for $200. When we arrived back at the border, there was utter mass confusion because it was market day. Every Thursday the border is open both ways so Haiti can sell its goods on the streets of Dajabon, and food of all kinds can be imported into Haiti. I have never in all my travels seen such bustling activity or chaos. Hopefully, some photos I have posted will give a glimpse of the way things are at the border. When the new Immigration station is open, things will hopefully improve. We simply walked across the border with two bottles of good Haitian cane rum, paying no attention to anyone, nor paying anyone any money. Wow the Dominican Republic never looked so good. J Should you want more information on going there or if you would like to arrange a trip like this, please contact me at mcaldwell@odyssey.on.ca

aiti.

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
should Americans stay out of Haiti? I am thinking so but would love some feed back! wouldn't mind going if it was safe to do so.

ahimsa

Mar 11, 2009
It's fine for Americans to go to Haiti. There is currently no prevalent trend toward anti-Americanism. As far as safety - as with anywhere - you have to pay attention

lorenzocast

Apr 19, 2009
Well by just her telling me the amount she had to pay she got ripped off and dom. Rep. Has many different spots to visit that are extremely nice.
Now i never been to haiti, neither do i wanna go to haiti

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Well by just her telling me the amount she had to pay she got ripped off and dom. Rep. Has many different spots to visit that are extremely nice.

How was the OP ripped off? Are you talking about the price of the hotel?
They wanted to go to Haiti and see the sites and they did.

Of course the DR, like many different countries around the world has many nice and different spots to visit. People like different things and want different experiences. Some people are not satisfied with eating just chicken, rice and beans all the time. They want variety.

So as I guessed you have never been to Haiti but are just speaking from a place of ignorance. Sorry but your bias and prejudiced about Haiti is obvious.
Dont understand this hatred towards anything and everything connected to Haiti??/

The OP was nice enough to share a trip report about their experience about travelling to Haiti (and as you can see from other posters there is an interest to travel to Haiti) and negative comments like yours are unnecesary in my opinion.

Sep 20, 2003

She had to pay off the border guards because her friends didn't have visas-visas which could have been easily attained if they had been willing to wait a day. I have been to Haiti and have never had to pay a bribe to anyone. The police that I encountered were all very professional and never asked me for anything.

Haiti can be an expensive destination; you just have to look around for better deals. I stayed at a guest house in Jacmel for far less than I would have had to pay for the hotels on the market square. Food and beverages were priced about the same.

When travelling in Haiti it is best to travel with a Haitian friend who can deal with the locals for you. That's what I usually do. Careful planning can save you money and a lot of hassle. Haiti is not for everyone, however, don't let poeple who have never even been there discourage you from going.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
don't let poeple who have never even been there discourage you from going.

Exactly! I have been to Haiti and about 15 other islands and have travelled all over the world. Haiti IMO was not as bad and dangerous as people and the media make it out to be.

The last time I went on Caribe Tours from Santiago to Cap Haitien there were Americans on the bus.
In Las Terranas I met an 88year old American man who has been to Haiti 3 times, in the last few years, totally on his own and he doesnt speak the local language. He never had a problem and enjoyed it.

I live in Toronto, Canada and I was talking to a friend about my trip to Haiti she was asking a million questions about safety and I made a comparison.
I told her remember how the media around the world portrayed Toronto during the SARS incident. Those who live in T.O. can relate to this.
I literally had friends calling me from Australia and all over the world , so worried about my health, asking me the strangest questions like.....
could I leave the house and go to work and did I have to wear a face mask at all times, etc. And when I calmed their fears, they said well on the news here in Melbourne, etc. they are making it seem as if you cant leave your house or you are in danger of catching SARS.
I couldnt believe how the media misrepresented the actual truth of the situation. I was never afraid to catch the disease, it was isolated quickly and under control and I lived walking distance from 4 major T.O. hospitals. Yes there were a few tragic deaths but it was not even close to the way the media portrayed it. Tourism suffered because people were terrified to come to Toronto, business meetings and conferences were cancelled. Businesses closed down because the world media blew the situation out of proportion.
Based on inaccuarate information from the media. Scary....the power of the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.