father's right in dominican republic

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
hello,my husband got a child from a previous relationship,he is 4 year old
first of all 2 questions?
what the average for maintening a child there.we send in average 4000/5000 pesos a month for food,clothes and nursery.
but a lots of people say is far too much as the mom doesnt make any effort so my husband can maintain a descent relation with his child.
the other questions what's my husband right regarding the situation?
she make everything difficult,he trying to call his son every 2 day so the child doesnt loose track of his father but she is rude,cut the phone quite often,refuse to send him picture etc...
we sending money through WU in order to keep the receipt in case she decide to see a lawyer and giving us more trouble.
any genuine and helpful advice would be greatly apreciated as my husband is very stressed by the situation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is not a whole lot of money, really. However, it should be enough to maintain the child.
I would suggest a lawyer that works for you to go and visit the mother and tell her how things are. She must allow the father to talk to the child and the child can even visit the father (on his nickle, of course)...
So much animosity is not good for the child, but we all know this...

Try and talk sense, then lawyers, then the courts.

HB

Reactions: wuarhat

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
support and rights

4 - 5,000,00 pesos is more or less ok for a child that age, alot depends on the class of life the mother lives. If she is of tipical dominican poor, then it is too much, as this class typically lacks financial control of any kind.

If she is of the middle class it is about right, kind of depends on what end of the middle scale she tips.

If she is tips the high end, entering into the upper class, not the
echalon class no, but upper class, the she most likly would need more, near 10 - 15K.

If she is echalon class, well forget it get, it would take an average american income to support.

Did he have a dna, is there no doubt he is the father?

As far as parental rights go you have all typical father rights, to talk to, see, inquire about, of which the mother really is obligated to inform you of the childs welfare.

Unfortunalty if she is not allowing visits, talking on the phone, etc you need to take her to court.

It would start with a visit to "tribunal ninos, ninas y adolescentes"

There they make a "cita" with the mother to discuss the case in a friendly fasion to see if an agreement is reached with out an actual
judicial hearing. During the "cita" she and the father will be informed of their rights and obligations under the law.

If the initial cita is not successfull then a court date would be set and the judge will issue a court order on what will be what.

It is an easy proccess, the "tribunal" and judges seem to be fair and really seem to maintain a perspective for both parties maintaining the welfare of the child in its best interest.

And yes by all means maintain a record of all monies given.

g'luck

in what country are you and the father?

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
That is not a whole lot of money, really. However, it should be enough to maintain the child.
I would suggest a lawyer that works for you to go and visit the mother and tell her how things are. She must allow the father to talk to the child and the child can even visit the father (on his nickle, of course)...
So much animosity is not good for the child, but we all know this...

Try and talk sense, then lawyers, then the courts.

HB

HB

Remember the mother is responsable, legally for 1/2 of the support of the child, this can be in the value of service given to the child, such as houseing costs, etc. no

If she was to take the father to court, she would have to produce proof of expenses for the child.

The court would disect what is real, what is needed for the class of life the mother live, the income of both etc.

If the court decided the funds need were 10,000 pesos in money or value to raise the child in the class, then they would order the father to pay 5k.

does it cost more that 10k to raise a middle class 4 year old?

No, and I know, I have a 11 month, 2 two year olds and a 6 year old and we live reasonably well.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Quote for child support in the DR are based in the father’s income that is the reason my ex-wife never went to the court as I was giving her three time more money than I was suppose to.
hahaha….

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Think for a minute:
a) Analyze the OP's post
b) Figure what kind of guy she married
c) Understand that she did not say he was married to the mother of that child
d) Comprehend what background the father came from
e) Know, almost for sure, that this is probably 80-90% of that family group's income. They were never, ever, even close to being middle class.
f) Now the mother thinks that the father has "hit the jackpot" and probably wants more.

I think think that the issue is one of communication and it might just take a lawyer's visit to set that straight. EOP, possible.

HB

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
open

You are absolutly correct as far as questions asked and most likly correct with the assumptions, but still thats what they are, although from years of experiance among this culture.

There are too many depends or open issues to give a good solid answer to the OP.

Q1. "what the average for maintening a child there?"

Only way to answer solidly is to know in what "classe economica se viven"

We know what is most likly the answer, but only the father knows, do not know what the wife really knows, we do not know if she has ever been here.

Q2. "what's my husband right regarding the situation?"

Fairly clear question he does have rights to know, visit and comunicate etc. with the child, the full extent of which aparently needs to be agreed on between parties or a judgement by the "tribunal"

Maybe he is makeing noise so that he must return to the DR and see for himself, maybe make a new sibling so his present child is not lonely, double trouble.

Anyway HB, most all the time I do agree with you in your posts.

Last edited:

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
hello all thanks for your reply
my husband and i live in england
no doubt he is the father,they were together for 5 years,he was her first novio,not difficult as she was only 16 when they started the relation.
she is from the campo like you said no middle class at all,she is not this type of girl you will find in puta bar in bavaro,i dont think she ever met a gringo/gringa.
but i agree for her its the jackpot,we kind of knew it!she is going to the uni at the moment so she is not working at all and im sure she wont for a longtime so her mother care for the child during the day also she doesnt have the pay the rent as she live with her family.
to be honest i dont care about her,most important is the wellbeing of the child,how is gonna grow up ?
her family is quite religious but kind of materialistic people.

hillibily my husband come from not well being background but not poor,
he was well educated as both parent worked hard to provide him everything.
my mother in law is quite a diplomatic person and she want to sort it out the situation so we gonna wait and see.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I want to ask you a question. You say the mother of the child is rude and will not allow your husband to talk to his son when he calls every other day. If the mother of this child is going to uni and the grandmother is looking after the child why doesn't your husband call his son during that time? I know there is a time difference but can't he work around this so he can have time on the phone with his son?

This seems to be the big problem and not so much the money right?

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
he is trying to do that calling her mother and her father also but its not convenient all the time.
it should no be like this,im the one trying to explain that he is got right toward his child and he is not only here to send money and shut up.
yes money dont matter as we can afford to send this money,most important is that he got a good communication with his son as the distance can be very difficult

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
it was one my advice!!!!

Good advice, maybe you don't want him coming back to DR any more, for sure the mother of the baby will go to the immigration office for an "impedimento de salida" or to the police for an "orden de arresto" against him.
Que te parece?
Ah, and make sure you keep all the Western Union receipt for next time you decide to go to visit his family.

JJ

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
he is trying to do that calling her mother and her father also but its not convenient all the time.
it should no be like this,im the one trying to explain that he is got right toward his child and he is not only here to send money and shut up.
yes money dont matter as we can afford to send this money,most important is that he got a good communication with his son as the distance can be very difficult

( 1 ) we send ?100 = about 5000 pesos a month for food,clothes and that is for mother father in law and step son

(2) she is going to the uni at the moment
! If you husband finish work at 5 pm
it is 12 midday there
she is still in uni ?
mother in law is
looking after the child
distance is not that difficult
as they are 5 hours behind us

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
Good advice, maybe you don't want him coming back to DR any more, for sure the mother of the baby will go to the immigration office for an "impedimento de salida" or to the police for an "orden de arresto" against him.
Que te parece?
Ah, and make sure you keep all the Western Union receipt for next time you decide to go to visit his family.

JJ

thanks for your advice
next trip next december and with all the receipt in his luggages.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Fed Up

___ maybe you don't want him coming back to DR any more, for sure the mother of the baby will go to the immigration office for an "impedimento de salida" or to the police for an "orden de arresto" against him.

Another possibility is that the OP's husband may not want to return to GB (and be "sin compromiso" again). ;)
Everything is possible.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
I would like to let you into my world of a situation not a million miles from your own. I work away 3 weeks out of 4 and impregnated a young lady while on a long trip to DR. (I damaged my leg on pipework and had 3 month paid leave). I am not a man who needs complications in life or seeks them out, but I found myself in a situation. Here goes.
5000 pesos per month for the upbringing of your child is very little. Obviously your guy knows the lady involved very well and so obviously would know what kind of person she is and how to arrange this for maximum quality of life for all involved, be her Dominican or Scandinavian a single mother has rights and a father has obligations.
After I found out the girl I was with was pregnant I had no problem with it in a way happy as my working life leaves very little time for family starting so I never have, so...and I immediately contacted my lawyer to get him on guard for any strange scenarios that may follow, advice etc. This lawyer costs me 2000 pesos per hour, so is very much worth it.
I had to go back on the rigs once my injury leave (PIL) had finished and I agreed to leave her with a certain amount of money to live and look after the herself while pregnant and I would continue to see her once every month and keep and eye on her and she was OK, baby good etc. I have had my Lawyer speak to her and the family in my absence to negotiate what will be expected once the child is born. I did this even though we are on extremely good terms and we still have very much a couple somewhat relationship when I visit, as I know her family will try to sway her towards playing on a soft point of mine. I believe they think my soft point is that I offered money to keep her healthy before the child is born. Obviously a visit from my lawyer put all this in place for them and everything is running smoothly.
I am now looking into moving into Santa Domingo for my week off each month, but by no means will be taken for a ride. Yes I pay alot more than you to keep her healthy and well while carrying my child. I also make sure that it is given to her weekly via my lawyer for a price of 1000pesos per month to him. Control in the mildest form I feel. I trust the girl as far as money goes, she isn't going to go out and blast it or not look after herself, but having my lawyer take control of everything in that matter strengthens myself in their eyes and will not even contemplate anything damaging to our relationship or situation, it works well, all beit very strange, but I have yet to meet a couple who do not have a strange approach to a life when one of the partnership is half the age of the other.
At the end of the day, if you are only paying 5000pesos, money should be the last worry on your mind. How about visiting the child before the year is up. Kids won't remember a year or six months down the line, this isn't a competition. If it is important, then show it. Visit the child regularly. The best thing I ever did was involve my lawyer from day one. Now we are straight and able to just get on with what we do in a controlled and direct understanding.

Hope this helps,

Bill