travel from sousua to haiti by bus

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
its not 20$

it is 280 pesos each way from puerto plata to santo domingo on caribe tours.

then you need to buy the ticket to haiti which must be bought in US dollars and is $111 US plus taxes...each way. the bus to haiti only goes 1 time each day and is at 11am.

there is no longer a caribe tours bus from santiago to port au prince as far as we know.

we just looked into this trip about a week ago.

good luck.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is one from Santiago but it goes to Cap-Haitien on the north coast, nicer that Port-au-Prince in many ways and a good base for visiting La Citadelle, the Sans Souci ruins and beaches.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
How safe is it to go there? We've thought of going but have been told, "If you go your on your own". Thanks.

ahimsa

Mar 11, 2009
Things have been pretty quiet for the last many months, especially when considering how tough this year has been. As with traveling anywhere w/o a lot of infrastructure, keep your eyes open and avoid sketchy situations.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
How safe is it to go there? We've thought of going but have been told, "If you go your on your own". Thanks.

It comes up very high on the travellers digest as being one of the most dangerous places to visit in the world, and the most dangerous place to visit in the Caribbean.

World's Most Dangerous Locations - Travelers Digest

How true it is will depend on which site you choose to look at. I have looked at quite a few and it is always up there as being high for violent crime.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Neither of the two deleted posts were helpful.

Please refrain from your personal sniping - it is unnecessarily distracting to the flow of the threads.

Gregg
Mod.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
It comes up very high on the travellers digest as being one of the most dangerous places to visit in the world, and the most dangerous place to visit in the Caribbean.

World's Most Dangerous Locations - Travelers Digest

How true it is will depend on which site you choose to look at. I have looked at quite a few and it is always up there as being high for violent crime.

According to some statistical accounts, cities like Santo Domingo, Rio de Janeiro and Los Angeles are more crime infested and dangerous than Port au Prince, so don't let the rumours scare you more than necessary.

Haiti is not particularly mass-tourism friendly, and does not have the tourism infrastructure as the Dominican Republic; but you can rent cars and get around well enough. You can find a variety of basic to more high-level hotels in PAP, Cap Haitien, whereas they are more basic, but comfortable and friendly in the beach areas north of PAP, Ile a Vache, Jacmel and other locations.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
According to some statistical accounts, cities like Santo Domingo, Rio de Janeiro and Los Angeles are more crime infested and dangerous than Port au Prince, so don't let the rumours scare you more than necessar....

My guess is, that there are not proper crime statistics being done in Haiti, its a failed state. People get murdered in one city and its not recorded in the capital. Just guessing though.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
about USD 75 r/t

With the MINUSTAH police working together with the national police, they ensure a pretty reliable stats on criminality. The problem of Haiti is that the rumours are far worse than reality, and that the various recommendations don't take into account the vast improvements that have taken place since 2006. Like in any major city there are areas of Port au prince or Cap Haitien where you would not venture, but that is no different than Los Angeles, Miami - and certainly Santo Domingo.

On the ticket price - the US$ 110 each way is much too high. The price should read no more than US$ 75 for a round trip ticket. Check with Capital Coach Line - that was the price I was quoted this week.

cheers

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
On the ticket price - the US$ 110 each way is much too high. The price should read no more than US$ 75 for a round trip ticket. Check with Capital Coach Line - that was the price I was quoted this week.

cheers

this price was from Caribe Tours - Santo Domingo to Port-au-Prince

is $75 US for the same route? That seems like a huge difference.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Danger of Haiti Travel or Work

With the MINUSTAH police working together with the national police, they ensure a pretty reliable stats on criminality. The problem of Haiti is that the rumours are far worse than reality, and that the various recommendations don't take into account the vast improvements that have taken place since 2006. Like in any major city there are areas of Port au prince or Cap Haitien where you would not venture, but that is no different than Los Angeles, Miami - and certainly Santo Domingo.

cheers

You sound like you have first hand experience? If so, please PM me when you can.

How safe would you think it would be for a professional photographer to go into the Citie de Soleil? (He is Costa Rican/Jamaican/American, but often confused for a Dominican...not a great thing in Haiti...)

This would be with a local and fairly trusted guide....however...money talks...and you-know-what walks....

I would likely also be there and I speak fluent French, doesn't mean I can always communicate with their Creole, but I do speak a small selection of Haitian Creole also.

I am worried because he would have his large professional cameras to use and in full display.

Neither of us would be wearing overly American style clothes, we would be wearing low end type clothes, including shoes, no jewelery etc...but I am worried about the pro cameras....

Even if we have a prepaid Haitian guide and contact in this area....

Wouldn't this be a pretty risky assignment or job?

Sunflower333

May 25, 2009
I took the bus from Pto Plata to Haiti this past March. As someone else stated, 260 pesos to Santo Dominigo with Caribe tours. The ride from there to Haiti was 1200 pesos but my hubby checked around and found a smaller,local bus for 800 pesos but I would not recommend it.

It had no bathroom, we had to stop about 1 hour into the ride and have tires fixed while everyone was dropped off somewhere else to wait and many other small delays. We should have gotten to Port au Prince at 5 pm ( 6 hr ride from Santo Dominigo) but only arrived at 8 pm.

Definitely not many tourists where I was and felt quite uneasy but had no problems at all. I was only there for 2 days but only saw 4 white persons and it seems there are millions of people on the street all the time. CRAZY busy!!!

On the way back, I had to pay $20 at the border crossing.

Reactions: sangria