Visitor visa to the US

Ladyt83

Apr 16, 2009
im sure this has been spoken on many times, but I can not find a thread, so here's my question. I need to know if a friend who wants to come visit the US has to get a passport before applying for the whole visa app? I read that once the app is approved than they mail them the visa and the passport, but than i read that you must bring your passport with you to the initial interview. please help time is an importance here! thanks so much. and i know its gonna be a hard ride!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think you are confusing all the info with what has been written on sponsoring a spouse for a permanent residency visa to Canada.

A visitor visa to the US definitely requires a passport but unless your friend has strong ties to the DR and can prove to Immigration that he/she will return to the DR it will be almost impossible to get one.

Here is some info for you

General requirements for foreign nationals seeking temporary admission include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • The purpose of the visit must be temporary;
  • The foreign national must agree to depart at the end of his/her authorized stay or extension;
  • The foreign national must be in possession of a valid passport;
  • A foreign residence must be maintained by the foreign national, in most instances;
  • The foreign national may be required to show proof of financial support;
  • The foreign national must be admissable or have obtained a waiver for any ground of inadmissability;
  • The foreign national must abide by the terms and conditions of admission.
Taken from USCIS - Visit the U.S.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
im sure this has been spoken on many times, but I can not find a thread, so here's my question. I need to know if a friend who wants to come visit the US has to get a passport before applying for the whole visa app? I read that once the app is approved than they mail them the visa and the passport, but than i read that you must bring your passport with you to the initial interview. please help time is an importance here! thanks so much. and i know its gonna be a hard ride!

Chances are if your friend is worried about having to pay the cost of a passport they won't have enough to get approved. I understand one has to have RD30k in a bank account or maybe in other valuables, I'm not sure.

Nonetheless, I have met enough Dominicans that had this and a car and a house to boot and they were all denied. Your friends best bet is to take classes at the University and then apply through one of the student visa programs. It's a scam as they give them out left and right and only maybe half the students return, yet they do it year after year after year.

Ladyt83

Apr 16, 2009
well he honestly doesnt want to come here, i have pushed him to come. my boyfriend( who is dominican but has been a citizen long since his 6 birthday due to his father) and i(born in usa dominicana) live here in usa and i told him that his cousin should come visit. they all told me no no its not going to work blah blah. but i believe this one just might work, he has family and a son and a job and about to entire the university, he is young so i read that younger individuals do not need to show any property or bank accounts being that they are so young, but he has strong ties back to santiago, all family there, he is head of household onli income they have and we recently just lost a grandfather and his own brother, so im figuring he realli just needs a break and a reward, you dont see many young males, especially dominican males going his route, he doesnt smoke weed or even drink!!! and when we go out he is never trying to flirt with the other women, its realli weird but I think its so great. so we are going into the embassy with just that.

we live in florida with decent jobs, but we can not afford to house anyone! and we love going back home!!! so that would make it hard if he stayed.

im praying to GOd he sees how good this young man is in life and gives us the faith we need, and thank u for ur comments and info!

Ladyt83

Apr 16, 2009
oh and also, im asking if a passport needs to be purchased and already valid before we do the visa application, i know he needs to have one lol, pero not sure if it goes along with the whole process or should we just get it now.