Canadian mining company to invest US$850 millions to build 2 hotels in Pedernales

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If it's outside Bahia de Las Aguilas like the article says, I'm all for it. I'm sure they'll bus their guests to BDLA which would be OK as long as there are strict rules applied as to what can and cannot be done there, like for instance don't let the place be overrun with "Padres de Familias" selling all kinds of junk and littering. We have to be very careful with this fragile ecosystem...

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I agree with you

Being my family from Barahona, I'm all for opening the southwest for tourists and investors, but there are many "vultures" out there waiting for the opportunity to grab land at any expense, and we need to be very careful that the fragile ecological balance of the BDLA, and other protected areas is not upset; so the ministry of environment needs to be very alert.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm not an expert but I think that part of the "allure" of that part of the country is its remoteness. One of my best friends said "it's not like we can pack our stuff and go there on a day trip [from SD], we have to plan to get there, especially when we need a 4WD (they have a 2WD)."

I'm all for progress but the day they build an AI on that beach, that's probably gonna be the day peace and quiet there as we know it will end. If they build those hotels in the town of Pedernales or even in any of the small ones on the road to Barahona, then it might be better (as long as the bus loads of tourists are organized to preserve the flora and fauna).

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I just came from a trip to Bahia de las Aguilas, I had been as far as Cabo Rojo and Las Cuevas, but this time we took the boat and made the trip to BDLA, it was an epyphany to me, I was all for development before, but now I just pray to God they leave all that beauty alone. There were 11 of us and we all agreed that beauty such as that should not be tarnished with hotels and all the filth that comes with it.

I'll post a trip report on the trip reports forum

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Only makes sense if they are "buying out" Andino company

...who went there to produce cement and have actual mining operations. If this is just for a hotel....won't be happening for 850 million U.S.

Feb 15, 2005
...who went there to produce cement and have actual mining operations. If this is just for a hotel....won't be happening for 850 million U.S.

Very good point! If this is a mining company, I doubt they are in the hotel business, but more of a cover for mining operations in the area.