STI to the SW

MsC

Apr 9, 2009
I live and work in STI. We have off for the long May weekend. I'm wondering if a trip to the SW is feasible. We can leave on a Friday night, but will have to be back for work on Tuesday morning.

The places of interest would be...

Bahia de las Aguilas, Lago Enriquillo, Pedernales y Paraiso.

Can we do it? Would we have to rent a car or can we gua gua? What order would you recommend? Where would you recommend we stay?

Help would be great. Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can gua gua to Sto Domingo, and then to Barahona...from there I don't know, but if you re the least bit adventerous It would be a blast..

use Caribe tours...

And then come back and tell us all about it.

Car rental is expensive and driving is risky, especially between Bani and San Cristobal, and after Azua...I would let others do the driving.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's pretty much one day down to Barahona and one day back. There is a LOT of ground to cover in that area. 3 days from STI seems a bit ambitious, especially relying on public transport as HB suggests.

Rent a car and be sure to do most of your major driving during daylight,It is pretty lonely out there in the night and dangerous. Be careful driving from Sancristobal-Bani because there is major road constrruction going on, but probably not on a holiday weekend. I drive to Barahoana an or San Juan de Maguana regularly and love the south west for a change of pace.

Aug 19, 2004
We were down there last January and would ditto the comments on San Cristobal- Bani section. A lot of driving - I would miss out Lago Enriquillo and save it for another day. If its in your budget I would spend a night or 2 at Casa Bonita (Km. 17 Carretera de la Costa. Bahoruco) - best hotel in the region.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
If you can't (or don't feel like) renting a car, you can go to Pedernales by guagua/Caribe Tours and take a tour to Bah?a de las ?guilas and/or Hoyo de Pelempito with Jopaka Tours: Jopaka tours. We took the tour with them (we didn't feel like renting a car) and loved it, as well as staying at Do?a Chava.

Barahona-Pedernales is about 2 hours by guagua, Caribe doesn't go to Pedernales.

MsC

Apr 9, 2009
Well, we went!
We took Caribe from STI to SDQ. And then from SDQ to Barahona. We arrive in Barahona around 1 p.m. but as you have all said, there is little to do in that town. Paseamos por la cuidad, had lunch on the malecon and just enjoyed the simple life. We decided not to go to the corner colmados to dance that night and instead enjoyed some presidentes at our hotel.
Anyway, we went with Eco Tours to Bahia de Las Aguilas for $75 a person. It was a little pricey, but we did not want to risk getting stuck 4 American females in unknown territory. They arranged the boat trip to the bay. Our guide, Patrick, was very friendly and nice. The picnic was delicious---fresh fish, ensalada y moro--- provided by the tour company. Overall, the bay, the trip, etc...were.... sin palabras. Absolutely amazing. The ride from Barahona to Pedernales is beautiful. The little towns and beaches along the coast like Paraiso and San Rafael are worth visiting. There is a beautiful hotel, Playa Azul, outside of Barahona where I would love to stay if I ever go back. Unfortunately, we were supposed to see some caves, but ran out of time.

Overall, totally worth it. I just wish we had more time to see Lago and la frontera.