water in Barahona

cruzan

May 3, 2006
Once more I need some help from the friendly people of this site...again and hopefully, thank you.

I am traveling to the Barahona area this summer. First question....is the water safe to drink?? Second question....is it safe to rent a car and drive from Santo Domingo? and if not,,,are there any airlines flying into the local airport?

thank you very much

cruzan

May 3, 2006
thank you very much for the information. I don't believe I asked this in 2007, but thank you for the reply. Does the Barahona area have an airport or is it only accessible by road?

Feb 15, 2005
Rent a car. If you need directions let me know. Taking the bus is great but once you get to Barahona you'll be stuck. It's better to venture with a car, in my opinion.
If you drive from the Capital during the day you'll be good and it's pretty easy road out there

cruzan

May 3, 2006
thank you very much...when the time comes,I'll definitely take you up on the directions.....thank you

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Barahona by Car

I just made the trip via rented car SDQ-Barahona-Perdenales and back. It worked out very well. It is much more convienient than the buses. I am in the process of posting a trip report about it. I found that once you factor in the airport taxies (US $60 r/t), bus fairs, taxies in the capital and in Barahona the cost is not that much more for a reasonably priced rental. I rented from Avis for 9 days for US $323. Plus the convienence factor is priceless as the distances are large. But driving is not for everyone, and the checkpoints are less of a problem on a bus.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Car Rental

I rented in the "Standard " catagory from Avis and was told I would get a Cheverolet Optra or similar. I ended up with a Suzukie but I don't remember the model. The car was very comfortable and ran well most of the way. I used a Caribean discount code that Avis puts in thier ads in the American Airlines magazine "K195000". Just enter that code when it asks you for the "AWD Number". I got the insurance coverage for free by using my Mastercard for the rental. I did take the additional insurance for $5.95/day. My total charges were US $323 and that included a $13 charge for not bringing the car back with a completely full tank.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
Alternative yo can rent cars in Barahona, no hazzle with checkpoints.
Prices are good and all cars with full insurance and Modell 2008. You can deliver the car back in SD or Barahona.

Would be interesting your trip experience and which hotels you have choosen.