Any news on Jumbo and other developments in the Punta Cana area?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It looks like the eagerly awaited Jumbo supermarket may be on hold for an indefinite period. The designated area is still fenced off but the sign never went up again after last year's storms brought it down. Anyone heard any more?

The two new establishments being built next to the Jumbo plot: one is reportedly going to be a gym, but what is the other?

Is the building next to Ilumel going to be a branch of Cerarte (bathroom ceramics) or something else? The signs came down a few weeks ago but the building is being finished after a long period of inactivity.

A couple of areas are being cleared on the Cap Cana roundabout: rumour has it there is going to be a gasoline station and a Blue Mall.:ermm:

The new phase of the shopping centre in Punta Cana Village is almost ready but there is still no sign of any businesses setting up there.

What's the large project under way on the Ver?n-B?varo highway near Coco Loco?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update - the building next to Ilumel is going to be a branch of Cerarte.

Anyone else have any insider info?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Chiri,

We drove past Ilumel and the new building on Saturday on the way to the airport.

I have a small bet with my wife - what is Ilumel?

Thanks.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Jumbo, etc

Oh boy...
I have received 4 different stories about Jumbo... which is true? Wish I knew. GPC's office told us Jumbo is the next thing to be built. Another person (whom we also trust) said jumbo says it is too expensive to build... Another said GPC offered the defunct bowling alley building to Jumbo.... I can't remember the last one ????????????????????????????????/
how can such a growing area not have a grocery store (at least a decent one)
GPC... how about a answer.............................
carib

carib

Jul 16, 2002
PS...
I have at least 4 stories about the gas station as well............
carib

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Could you please ask them what's happened to the Jumbo planned for the Punta Cana shopping mall, which seems to be on hold or totally scrapped?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
BTW: What source told you about a planned Jumbo for Punta Cana?
It would make little sense for that area to open that branch from Grupo CCN there...
I don't know, but maybe, just maybe a Sirena super center or Super Mercado Nacional could make more biz sense, given the economic level of the denizens there...

Think of the same treatment given to Casa De Campo: Supermercado Nacional "Marina" de Chavon...

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree that the clientele in the PC area is more in the Supermercados Nacional bracket than the Jumbo, but it was more than a rumour. There's a fenced-off plot of land in the Punta Cana shopping mall area just past Ilumel and Cerarte which up till a few months ago had a large sign saying "Pr?ximamente - JUMBO".

The sign was blown down in one of last year's tropical storms and while the plot is still fenced off, no one has put it up again. Before we moved here last year the local info was that the Jumbo would be ready "by December" but it never seemed to take off.

There was also a thread about it here on DR1 last year.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/east-coast/70395-jumbo-punta-cana.html

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I agree that the clientele in the PC area is more in the Supermercados Nacional bracket than the Jumbo, but it was more than a rumour. There's a fenced-off plot of land in the Punta Cana shopping mall area just past Ilumel and Cerarte which up till a few months ago had a large sign saying "Pr?ximamente - JUMBO".

The sign was blown down in one of last year's tropical storms and while the plot is still fenced off, no one has put it up again. Before we moved here last year the local info was that the Jumbo would be ready "by December" but it never seemed to take off.

There was also a thread about it here on DR1 last year.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/east-coast/70395-jumbo-punta-cana.html

Hmmmm... Grupo CCN "never" and I mean "never' has given any indication of such plans for the PC area. If in fact a sign was posted in a fenced lot there, yet not a single peep was ever mentioned around the circles, I doubt the veracity of the sign in the first place...

It smells more like a "test" for "inquisitive" minds of the area by somebody.
Have yet to see a Proximamente "**" Here, not followed to the letter by CCN...

You just made my curiosity jump to the point of making some personal calls, which I should know better than to take that path... LOL!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Let us know what they say.

Meanwhile I'll try to dig up a photo I took of the sign when it was still up.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I mentioned the large development on the Ver?n-B?varo highway in the OP - today I saw a sign announcing that it's going to be a shopping mall called "San Juan", with "supermarkets, banks, shops, restaurants, etc."
Not good news for La Marqueta unless they are opening the supermarket in question.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update on commercial developments in the Punta Cana area!

A new Shell gasoline station is under construction on the stretch of new highway between Punta Cana and Cabeza de Toro. The sign says it is another Amable Aristy enterprise. If they don't accept credit cards like the other two gas stations in the area (Cruce de Ver?n and Friusa) I don't know why they are bothering. This is presumably in addition to the gas station (non-Amable) planned for the Cap Cana roundabout.

We have a new bakery called "Short Cakes" in the new phase of the Punta Cana Village shopping centre, as well as the even more welcome addition of a bookshop called "Paper Moon". The bookshop stocks books in English as well as Spanish and they have a book rental scheme for second hand books, mainly in English. They also sell stationery and some related gifts.

There are plans to open a Wendy's which does not really fit in with Punta Cana Village on so many levels, but I suppose it might help pull in some more punters.

The former bowling alley is going to be taken over by the Cuesta group. The impression I got was that it was going to be a Centro Cuesta (household accessories) but who knows, maybe a Supermercados Nacional or Jumbo could also be squeezed in?

The new shopping centre (Centro San Juan) near the Coco Loco crossing is going to include a branch of a Puerto Rican supermarket chain.

If anyone has any more information, please post it here.

Aug 19, 2004
" ... Jumbo supermarket may be on hold for an indefinite period. The designated area is still fenced off but the sign never went up again after last year's storms brought it down. Anyone heard any more?"

Rumour has it that the Jumbo site has been requisitioned by the secret freemason/masters of the universe cabal as the site of the Punta Cana high speed train station to Santo Domingo.