Canadian or Expat meetings

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
Does anyone know of when and where fellow Canadians, (or any and all foreignors for that matter), get together for formal or informal meetings.

I have previously asked this question to the CDN chamber and embassy, but no response as yet.
I love the country and the people (honest ones), but sometimes I go weeks without seeing a gringo and miss those interactions.

Reactions: AlaninDR

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Tambien! Funny I have called the same orgs and got nowhere as well. They dont even reply back to you. Then i posted here a similar question about 6 months back.
The only response was something about tues and thursdays at Mi Taverna in Piantini area. With all due respect this was far from what i would have expected. I frequented Mi Taverna 4 times back then and i was the only gringo in a small restaurant where no staff spoke english. They did have President on tap though, which was nice.! I think they have changed locations though.
I still believe based on this site, that many gringos are here, and therefore must be some sort of functions, parties, and get togethers etc.
I also know I will probably get blasted with replies stating; "gringos have chosen to move here and blend and integrate with the Dominican populace, therefore nothing of the sort is necessary."
This baffles me as of course we all want to blend into our chosen society, but whats wrong with getting together to share experiences and wisdom face to face and help fellow countryman, rather just behind a computer screen. I have lived and worked in many latin american cities and there always seems to be something along those lines.
If not Norteman we will have to start our own.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
trying not to read too much into it... but

I love the country and the people (honest ones),

Hi,

Just curious why you had to add the comment after people that you added, (honest ones), is there a particular problem with honest people in general?

Or is that a situation that isn't a general statement but one in particular to your particular situation?

Like I said in the title of this post, if I am reading too much into it, I apologize. But it just seemed a bit odd to me to have to specify something like that. I normally assume (I know what is said about assuming), that most people I meet are honest, unless they prove to be otherwise.

Maybe I shouldn't be so trusting.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
Hi,

Just curious why you had to add the comment after people that you added, (honest ones), is there a particular problem with honest people in general?

Or is that a situation that isn't a general statement but one in particular to your particular situation?

Like I said in the title of this post, if I am reading too much into it, I apologize. But it just seemed a bit odd to me to have to specify something like that. I normally assume (I know what is said about assuming), that most people I meet are honest, unless they prove to be otherwise.

Maybe I shouldn't be so trusting.

Yes your question deserves an answer Yayow.
So to better explain my verbage; I love the country and the Dominican people in general, except the dishonest ones. And why i use this comment is because I have been ripped off by landlords, mechanics, supposed friends and many attempted ripoffs by the wannabe tourist guide/taxis etc. etc. These people I do not care for...
I have a couple close trusted Dominican friends and they are the ones who constantly tell me not to trust Dominicans. If you are new to the DR please do not start off trustng until proven otherwise as it could be a very costly lesson. I have learned alot in 6 months as is why i like expat get togethers where as Expat said, we can all share experiences good and bad.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Wow!! a total of 3 of us in SD that are interested in this.

I as well never did get responses to date from Chambers and Embassies. It seems that the only thing i have seen close ti this is up North.

Oh well i guess its a virtual community only.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
All you need to do is set up a gathering in SD, date + location and people will show up. We used to meet up at Taverna or for BBQs at my place but it seems we have all been busy with other things lately. So throw the ball and see if you get any responses. You can count me in…eh!

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I'm in and I'll bring a buddy or two as well. How about somewhere in the Zona Colonial, I think it's the easiest for most people. Maybe meet up somewhere that everyone can find like the Hard Rock Cafe and then march the party down the street to a decent Colmodon or park where we can have some affordable drinks and shoot the shat? I'm thinking next Saturday the 9th in the late afternoon about 5-6 while it's still light out would be the right time to get started. Thoughts?

Norteman, ExPat13, TOOBER_SDQ, Juanita, That's 6 or 7 of us, can we make it a dozen?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I will need to catch the next one. I am off to Algeria this Sunday.

Hope it goes well and continues. If there is a second get together, please somebody let me know.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
So far its looking good for me as well..Im in. See how great this site works.

Next question should this be restricted to Foreingnors or should one be able to bring a Local friend as well?
Obviously we live here because we enjoy the people so I dont want to come off sounding wrong here.. When I lived in Buenois Aires the CDN embassy organized casual meeting/parties and the rule was any foreignors were invited and each could bring up to two local guests, and of course a novia/novio. This was done primarily to keep the integrity of a Expat style gathering.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
It's a free country and everyone's welcome! That said, I'd remind people it's an ex-pat get together so it'll be English spoken. Some who don't speak English fluently will get bored and/or feel left out (Like my wife, who will not be attending). Others don't care and are just happy to be out of the house on a Saturday night having drinks or will find others to chat with in Spanish. Ask yourself "Will my guest feel comfortable?". If it's "Yes" then by all means bring them with.

My .02

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It's a free country and everyone's welcome! That said, I'd remind people it's an ex-pat get together so it'll be English spoken. Some who don't speak English fluently will get bored and/or feel left out (Like my wife, who will not be attending). Others don't care and are just happy to be out of the house on a Saturday night having drinks or will find others to chat with in Spanish. Ask yourself "Will my guest feel comfortable?". If it's "Yes" then by all means bring them with.

My .02

Sounds like a good plan.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I don't post too frequently here- mostly lurk- but am interested in a meet-up next weekend (Sat 5/10). (Warning: not Canadian, I am American!)

Rather than meet somewhere and move to another location, I suggest we pick one place and stick to it- some of the aplantana'os might show up late, etc.

Leslie

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I don't post too frequently here- mostly lurk- but am interested in a meet-up next weekend (Sat 5/10). (Warning: not Canadian, I am American!)

Rather than meet somewhere and move to another location, I suggest we pick one place and stick to it- some of the aplantana'os might show up late, etc.

Leslie

Good point Leslie! we all know it is an inherent trait in this country to be late.

I will keep track of all those interested and send out a PM blast on friday as a reminder including the whereabouts.As this will be contigent on the size of the party we should select once closer to the date .
This being said lets hear some options as to locations from members. I always like the idea of supporting friends in business, and change locations out of fairness, so if any members have personal interest in a certain establishment please say. Obviously as mentioned earlier in the thread it might be best to start somewhere casual and not too costly as may be important to some.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hello everyone!

Lets spread the word a little so we can get a decent response.

Again it is a great forum to share experiences and wisdom in these meetings.

Please reply if interested.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
How about an Ozzie? Canooks and Ozzies are like cousins, eh! hahaha
Hope I got the spelling of "Canooks" right?

Aussies, canucks, gringos, as Mason said really everyone is welcome, although so far i do not see a huge response, so lets again, spread the word.
English speaking seems to be the criteria to meet.
At this point its still a "tba" destination.