Speak openly at the interview...re Immigration Canada

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
I wanted to pass along a piece of advise about the interviews and investigators, who are the immigration officers. For the people who have their interviews this week, please really think about this.

When one is going through this process it is extremely important to disclose everything about your lives. It is extremely important to be an "open book" for this process. You need to be able to explain everything. Sometimes we hold things back because we are afraid of how it looks and how it's going to be perceived. When you do this investigators who are well trained sense something is out of place. They might feel you are being deceitful when really you're just afraid to tell them something that you think is big, when really it's small.

A good example of this would be. You fall in love and just before you get married your husband gets sick. You marry him and he loses his job because he can't work because of the medical appointments. You make the decision not to tell immigration he is sick because you are afraid of what they might think ie. free health coverage in Canada...

During the interview they speak about jobs and why he doesn't have one. The husband doesn't disclose that he was sick because of this fear. Trained investigators can sense when something is not right or when someone is not forthcoming with information. They are trained behaviourly to read people.

This is your life. Your situation is what it is. Don't try and change it or ignore it. Everything can be explained. Don't allow a worry to become the reason why you don't get the Visa.

Good luck to everyone this week.
Sandy

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I agree 100% Sandy - great advice!!

This is your husband's chance to tell them everything they need and want to know. Obvioulsy the officers have wanted more proof in a couple of cases so get your husbands to not be scared and to tell them everything about your relationship - they will then be able to see the love you share.

Make it count!!!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I also agree 100%. When my husband applied (in 2005), we had married after only six months together (I had lived there for 4.5 of those months) so we were worried that it might look too soon so we were going to say that we met almost a year earlier because I had travelled to the DR many times in the year before we met. In the end we decided it was not worth lying about because we would have no evidence of phone calls, etc. prior to when we met so that would look suspicious and even though I would have had stamps in my passport, etc. they might wonder why all of a sudden there was documentation to support our contact. We figured we would tell the truth because we were in love and had nothing to hide. The result... he didn't even get an interview and had his visa in less than four months after we applied. I was so relieved that we had not put untruthful information on our application.

Also, it's much easier to remember facts about the truth than facts about a story you are making up. It's much easier to slip up and perhaps tell a different version of story if it's one you are making up because you might not always remember how you told it the first time but if it's the truth, you can remember the events in your head and it's less likely that things will be hard to remember. Does that make sense?

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
There is some good advice on this blog for those who are going through the interview process. I have seen many posts suggesting that immigration lawyers have not been any help. I disagree, I think there are two areas where a good immigration lawyer can help.

1) Reviewing the information before the application is submitted.
2) Coaching for an interview.

I know as well the coaching session can be held over the phone with a Canadian immigration lawyer.

Just something for consideration.

solisdad2000

Aug 31, 2005
All great advice. I'll add a couple of points:

1. It's true not just for Canada, the UK too (and I'd guess for all othercountries).

2. Do not worry about what the truth actually is - say what you think the truth is! (If you don't understand this, here's an example. When I successfully sought a visa for my fiancee, now my wife, to visit the UK, I was asked what her parents' house was mad of. I answered "wood" but the correct answer was cement block. The point is that people who rehearse all their answers have stories that match each other to a remarkable degree. People who do not rehearse all their answers make errors. Interviewers know this and are rightfully suspicious of people with perfectly matching sets of answers. Don't be worried by questions you can't answer - I was asked to name my fiancee's brothers and sisters but there ae 13 of them so I couldn't remember them all!!! I named those I could remember and then said I couldn't remember the others as ther were too many. So be honest and speak from the heart, not from a script!!!)

Cheers

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
My husband was originally offered a job in Gananoque, Ontario (so I thought I wouldn't have to get involved in the visa process, I was going to let him do it on his own) and the company put him through the process to get the work visa. At the end they denied him because he "couldn't satisfy an immigration official he would return to his country." We know NOW that this visa is very hard to get, and obviously he doesn't have much to return to, no business, no property of his own, etc.

So on the application he was technically "denied entry into Canada" before, and he's all nervous about them asking about it at the interview. I told him not to worry, and be honest about it, because he hadn't done anything wrong. Honesty is definitely the bset policy in this interview, and even if these guys have issues in their past, what counts is the here and now.

princesa_pineda

May 13, 2008
I honestly don't think he has anything to worry about hun! This interview will be about your relationship and how well he knows you! Tell him to relax and just tell them the truth if it comes up, he will be fine <3

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
It's funny how I've waited over 2 years for this, and now that it's 2 days away, I'm losing my mind. LOL! Soon I'll have my relief... :)

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
emj_08,

I feel your pain....I'm so stressed out it's not even funny.....my whole future is on the line and it's driving my crazy!!!!

I'm very nervous, I would like to think that everythings is all good...but you can never be too sure!!!!

DD

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
A stranger is about to decide if our relationships are real, and if we get to be with our spouses. Our fate is in their hands. I'm just trying to have faith in the system that they will know a legitimate case when they see one. Fingers crossed! Can't wait to post in completed timelines! :)

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
My husband was originally offered a job in Gananoque, Ontario (so I thought I wouldn't have to get involved in the visa process, I was going to let him do it on his own) and the company put him through the process to get the work visa. At the end they denied him because he "couldn't satisfy an immigration official he would return to his country." We know NOW that this visa is very hard to get, and obviously he doesn't have much to return to, no business, no property of his own, etc.

So on the application he was technically "denied entry into Canada" before, and he's all nervous about them asking about it at the interview. I told him not to worry, and be honest about it, because he hadn't done anything wrong. Honesty is definitely the bset policy in this interview, and even if these guys have issues in their past, what counts is the here and now.

Your husband should have nothing to worry about as the visa requriements are totally different from working class to family class. The officers should already have this information. So tell him not to sweat it and not to worry.

Good luck!
Sandy

BooGirl

Oct 25, 2008
I just wanted to say, I lost my mind...went loca this past week! I dont want to count days or hours....just want to get on with my life. Trying to stay strong for my children and husband. I believe in God and trust in him. Thanks for all the support everyone and good luck on thursday for all of our spouses going in for an interview. besos
boogirl

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Your husband should have nothing to worry about as the visa requriements are totally different from working class to family class. The officers should already have this information. So tell him not to sweat it and not to worry.

Good luck!
Sandy

My wife, before she was my wife, was refused entry on a visitor's Visa. She had gone to an interview and when she was refused she tore a strip off the person doing the interview. When we applied to immigrate after we got married, about 14 months later, she was in Canada with son 8 months after we started the paperwork with no interview required. All this to say, be honest, he should say he was turned down for a work visa....etc,. Part of the process is checking your honesty, character...etc.

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
My wife, before she was my wife, was refused entry on a visitor's Visa. She had gone to an interview and when she was refused she tore a strip off the person doing the interview. When we applied to immigrate after we got married, about 14 months later, she was in Canada with son 8 months after we started the paperwork with no interview required. All this to say, be honest, he should say he was turned down for a work visa....etc,. Part of the process is checking your honesty, character...etc.

Bob;

I agree with you 100% to be honest about the denial for the work visa as immigration will all ready know about it. I hope it didn't sound any other way. I just don't want them to sweat it, as the reasons for the denial shouldn't reflect his chances for a family class visa.

Sandy

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
Thanks guys! That's pretty much what I thought too. If they ask, he will be honest. With the beautiful application I submitted, with every possible supporting document they requested, I'm sure this won't matter at all. PLUS it's a different class of visa. AND they didn't request anymore proof of relationship. I have them convinced on that front.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
DD, Boogirl, EMJ and Miss RNB

Wishing you and your husbands good luck tomorrow!

Hopefully tomorrow will be full of happiness!

Sangria