Question

toritobravo

Jan 30, 2009
This is my third post. I will be moving to Santo Dominto this Summer for four years and I thank you all for the information you have provided regarding THE city and the Dominican Republic in general. I have a question regarding vehicles and would appreciate any feedback from folks who live in or know Santo Domingo. I will preface the question with the following facts:

-I WILL BE SHIPPING A VEHICLE TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC BUT I WILL NOT BE PAYING ANY FEE TO SHIP IT. MY EMPLOYER IS PAYING ALL SHIPPING AS WELL AS ANY FEES RELATED TO THE IMPORTATION OF THE VEHICLE.

-I HAVE SEARCHED AND READ ALL VEHICLE POSTS AND HAVE NOT FOUND AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS.

-Because my current vehicle is over five years old, I am purchasing either a new vehicle or a 2008 low mileage vehicle. I have narrowed it down to a Toyota Highlander or Toyota 4-runner. Both were picked because of reliability, safety and the ability to seat seven if needed. Additionally, I have considered the popularity of the Toyota brand in the Dominican Republic and the fact that there is a dealer in Santo Domingo.

-When I leave the Dominican Republic in 4 years, I would like to sell my vehicle.

-The Highlander is much more comfortable, but it is also car based and has less clearance, off road capability, etc. Also, it does not appear that the Highlander is actually sold new in Dominican Republic.

-The 4-runner is truck based but it appears that they are sold new at the dealership in Santo Domingo.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is the Highlander a popular vehicle in the Dominican Republic? How about the 4-runner? I have checked classified ads and car sites and there are some for sale. But I would like your opinion as you actually live there. Would I be able to sell either one later down the road? Which would I have better luck selling?

2. Is it preferable to buy the more fancy limited version of the vehicle, with leather seats etc.? The classified ads mostly listed Toyotas that had most of the high end options. In terms of resale, will I do better with the high end options?

3. Would a Highlander perform adequately in Santo Domingo with the massive potholes, street flooding, etc? We also plan on doing alot of driving and exploring of the country. I am sure that it will include some dirt roads, trails, etc.

Because of comfort, my first choice would be the Highlander, it is a great comfortable vehicle and is really nice in the Limited Option. What bothers me is the fact that it is not a vehicle that is actually sold at the Toyota dealership, if I need work done I want the mechanic to be familiar with it. Also, are people less inclined to buy it because they do not recongize it. Lastly, the lower ground clearance and limited off road capability are a minus.

So for those of you that know, what is the better choice for living and for resale down the road? Highlander or 4-runner? Basic or loaded?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

TB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I realize it's not a direct response to your questions, but... have you considered buying the new vehicle in DR & having your employer pay the difference between its cost & the cost of the same vehicle in the U.S.?

In your situation would seem a lot easier to walk in, buy the vehicle here & drive it away same day with tag, insurance, etc in place - and i would think the final cost to your employer wouldn't be that diff't from paying shipping & duties plus your time away from the job to make it all happen.

solisdad2000

Aug 31, 2005
I have no idea what the two cars you're talking about are - names vary and Im not about to research them. HOWEVER:

I own two Toyotas, a 4wd pick up truck (double cabin so seats 6 or 7) and a "2wd "jeepeta". I live in the mountains Constanza) so drive country roads more than main roads but also know Santo Domingo, the autopistas, Santiago, etc.

There is only one real answer - do NOT buy a 2wd drive vehicle, buy the best 4wd you can afford. Any 2wd vehicle will be useless or at least dangerous if you intend driving mountain roads or tracks. Some major sites are literally impossible to drive to with a 2wd vehicle if the road is wet or possibly even just damp. High road clearance is also essential - I've lost several sump covers as they collided with rocks protruding from important roads - with the result that I had to buy new oil and get the sump repaired before I could get home! It's not difficult bt it does spoil the day!!!

I'd recomed buying the car overseas and shipping t here as the resale value should make you a good profit! Toyotas hold their value, they are the easiest make to resell because they are just about as indestructible as a car can be (as I'll now mention, you can destroy them but other cars would suffer even more). If you need an example, I drove over a precipice and dropped 40 metres, rolling the car 3 times in the process. My first Toyota Hi-Luxe was badly damaged (the engine burnt out while trying to run upside down, so without lubrication and a giant wooden mortar that I'd bought, it needed 3 men to lift it, did a whole load of damage to any glass it found as it flew around) but the cabin remained safe inside. Of my passengers, a baby in her mother's arms slept through the event and had no wounds or bruises. The remaining 4 people, including myself, suffered only bruises.)

European imports sell well because they have an improved finsh compare with Japanese originals (that are normally sold here) - the extas such as real leather seats make the cars very attractive. So I'd go for all the extas you can afford.

Remember though that if you take the other advice (above) to buy a car here, it will be guaranteed (Delta sells new non-European Toyotas at the cheapest rates - everyone else selling them is an agent that buys from Delta, so they have to charge extra. European Toyotas are a separate franchise so are not sold by Delta.). If you import a car it will not be covered by any guarantee here so you will pay for all servicing and parts.

Cheers