Golf clubs anyone?

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
This thread is for the Santo Domingo area. I live in la capital now, and I am a golfer, although presently that may be questionable since I haven't played since I moved down to DR. After watching the Masters a couple of weeks ago the juices started flowing again, and I would like to start playing again. I have three sets of golf clubs in storage in the US and haven't brought any of them down as of yet, I am waiting till some residency issues are settled and then bring them down with other personal items.

So what I am looking for is if someone is looking to sell a set of clubs (r/h preferable graphite) at a reasonable price, as it would probably revert to becoming my fourth set after my other clubs arrived. Or if someone has knowledge of a good golf shop to buy used clubs and/or other golf equipment in the Santo Domingo area.

Thank you,

Yayow

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a used set of Snake Eyes forged blades Snake Eyes with 5.5 precision shafts in good condition less the grips. I also have a decent three wood I can let go.

Also, like anything that is considered a luxury item here in the DR, you will be expected to pay through the nose for it and actually be proud of it to boot! (how else can you get kudos?). Therefore, your best bet is to buy used on ebay or Golfsmith and have it mailed to you - just remember to use a local mail service and to not exceed US200 total per package that you have shipped so you don't pay duties.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Failing a better offer from somebody down there in Santo Domingp, put yourself onto Metro (or Caribe Tours) up to Puerto Plata. You can take a look at three sets I have (two graphite - regular flex & one metal shafts) & make a mix-match accordingly. The driver, 3 & 5 wood are stiff shaft graphite although I do have a slightly damaged 3 & 5 wood with regular shafts PLUS a very nice regular shaft driver.

You can try them out down at the Playa Dorada range in the afternoon, stay overnight in a local ApartHotel (35 US approx) have a game at Playa Dorada the following morning & then catch the afternoon bus back to the Capital!!
Chosen set of Irons plus putter & golf bag approx US $70.
Driver, 3 & 5 wood US $50!
MY company ...:ermm:.....:ermm:....... PRICELESS!!!! :cheeky: ~ Grahame.:bunny:

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks

Maybe that would be a better option, because I am not looking to pay top dollar for what essentially will be a fourth set. Or maybe I will just rent them from the course when I really feel the need to get out there.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks

Failing a better offer from somebody down there in Santo Domingp, put yourself onto Metro (or Caribe Tours) up to Puerto Plata. You can take a look at three sets I have (two graphite - regular flex & one metal shafts) & make a mix-match accordingly. The driver, 3 & 5 wood are stiff shaft graphite although I do have a slightly damaged 3 & 5 wood with regular shafts PLUS a very nice regular shaft driver.

You can try them out down at the Playa Dorada range in the afternoon, stay overnight in a local ApartHotel (35 US approx) have a game at Playa Dorada the following morning & then catch the afternoon bus back to the Capital!!
Chosen set of Irons plus putter & golf bag approx US $70.
Driver, 3 & 5 wood US $50!
MY company ...:ermm:.....:ermm:....... PRICELESS!!!! :cheeky: ~ Grahame.:bunny:

Sounds good, if nothing better comes up, I wouldn't mind that option, if it looks like a go I will shoot you a pm!!

RiverMan

Apr 6, 2009
Depending where your clubs are in the US, you can contact a Dominican shipping company to buy and ship a 50 gallon plastic drum container. You can fill it with anything and it costs under $200.00 to ship to tthe DR. The best part: they deliver it right to you home in the DR). This assumes someone can go and get them form your storage...

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
looked into it.

You know I looked into that, and if I had it in storage in NY that would have been a very viable option because many companies operate from NY to DR. However when I first retired, I was only planning on living here part time, and the rest of the time in Indiana, because I have some relatives there so right now my stuff is in storage in Indianapolis, and there is not much traffic from there to down here.

I have looked through newspapers in that area, to see if I could find a reputable firm that ship to DR, with no luck.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Golf shops

By the way does any of the golfers out there deal with a particular golf shop in the Santo Domingo area? If you want to buy incidentals such as balls, gloves, tees etc.

I know it would be probably better to wait until going to the US and then stocking up as best you can, but in a pinch where do you go?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
By the way does any of the golfers out there deal with a particular golf shop in the Santo Domingo area? If you want to buy incidentals such as balls, gloves, tees etc.

I know it would be probably better to wait until going to the US and then stocking up as best you can, but in a pinch where do you go?

Golf balls I buy from the guys who pick them out of the water hazzards in Playa Dorada (or out of the rough at Playa Grande) for 10/15 or 20 pesos a shot (depending on quality, quantity & manufacturer). Gloves I buy off e-Bay with any other small accessories I might see at a very inexpensive price & then have them shipped to my Miami Mailing address. TEES???? I haven't bought any of those for years as tourists just leave them lying around the Tee Boxes (AND in the centre of the fairway:ermm: :squareeye) at Playa Dorada!!! One just 'picks them up'!

There IS a good golf shop in Santo Domingo that I have heard of & it is run by a Se?or Arias. I'll dig the details out of my other computer if you want them sending down to you. ~ Grahame.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
There IS a good golf shop in Santo Domingo that I have heard of & it is run by a Se?or Arias. I'll dig the details out of my other computer if you want them sending down to you. ~ Grahame.

Where is this anyone? decent prices? Do they also rent clubs?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think it is called Golf Citee. I is in the book. Run by Carlos Arias...
there are golf shops all over now.

HB

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Golf Citee is on the ground floor at Diamond Mall, the owner is an ex socio of Carlos Arias.
Carlos Arias opened a shop on 27th of February, coming from W. Churchill on the right hand side before reaching Nunez de Caceres.
I think neither of them is renting out clubs, but they have used ones.

Good Luck, GALK

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Golf Citee is on the ground floor at Diamond Mall, the owner is an ex socio of Carlos Arias.
Carlos Arias opened a shop on 27th of February, coming from W. Churchill on the right hand side before reaching Nunez de Caceres.
I think neither of them is renting out clubs, but they have used ones.

Good Luck, GALK

The one on 27th near nunez id Mundo Golf- No rentals and no used clubs.
Cant even buy brand new leftys.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Where is this anyone? decent prices? Do they also rent clubs?
If you are basically wanting to RENT clubs, the best bet would be to rent them from the golf club you visit. US $25 - $30.00 for a round of 18 holes seems to be the norm (may be higher in the Punta Cana & Sto. Dgo prestigious clubs!).

Whenever I am buying new (or maybe used) clubs I visit eBay to investigate market rates & then choose what I consider the best value for money & have them shipped down here - hopefully by someone coming down who can add them to his/her set & therefore with minimal costs! I just gad 5 hybrids & a putter brought down by a DR1 friend for NOTHING (he IS a long time friend though!!). Heck, if you have to pay US $50 extra baggage allowance for someone to bring them down it is STILL good value as you can be covered by their insurance OR know that they are safe from damage in a hard-cover travel bag!

Have a look at The Best in Clone Golf Clubs, Components and Accessories - Diamond Tour Golf for excellent value in 'Knock-Offs' of most well known models. The On-Line' service is exceptional - they even put up with my procrastination to ensure I got WHAT IS RIGHT FOR ME, telling me quite often I didn't need to buy something when I had an equivalent item already in my bag!!!! I'll be doing them a write-up next week on the latest set of clubs now that I have 'Tested them for performance' on the practice ground.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Heck, you can borrow my clubs if you want, no charge. Just clean all the rust off of them, OK.

BTW, you may want to play a round or two with me someday. I've discovered a new way to play golf that has really improved my game immensely.

I don't use a ball.

I can even drink all the beer I want during the game, and my score STILL is great!

Hi JD, Mi amigo is a lefty. And you?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
BTW, you may want to play a round or two with me someday. I've discovered a new way to play golf that has really improved my game immensely.

I don't use a ball.
Sounds like a definite improvement for my game too!! However, be advised that I will not give you ANY 'gimmies' over 9" & ALL 'Mulligans' will be added to your score!! Lift & place rules will apply to both of us however - especially if 'loose impediments' consist of beer bottles!! ~ Grahame :pirate: :cheeky:

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Fyi

Continental- NO CHARGE last week for the 2 sets of clubs we brought (AA can kiss my ...). If you know someone coming from EWR, may be worth looking into.