I'm going to head down to POP......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone,

I need your help, I have decided that I want to book something today an AI last minute cheap deal! Which hotel should I stay at they have deals for:

Barcelo POP
Gran Ventana
Iberostar Costa Dorada

I have never stayed at these hotels let me know which one you think I should book?

It's been 2 yrs way too long and my husband are desperatly in need a vacation lol What better place than the DR :)

bubba

Dec 15, 2003
Stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and it is a very nice hotel, one of the better ones in or near POP.
The beach is not great but OK.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I have stayed at both GV and ICD and would recommend both without reservation.

Small points if they matter to you:
- GV is in Playa Dorada, ICD is not.
- GV has a swim up bar, ICD does not.
- ICD is the longtime #1 TripAdvisor rated resort on the North Coast.

Gregg

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
bubba thanks :)

Fireguy thanks, I don't swim in the pool I stay on the beach I like to enjoy it as I can swim in a pool in Canada anytime :)

I do like to go downtown and out dancing how far is Costa Dorada?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hi everyone,

I need your help, I have decided that I want to book something today an AI last minute cheap deal! Which hotel should I stay at they have deals for:

Barcelo POP
Gran Ventana
Iberostar Costa Dorada

I have never stayed at these hotels let me know which one you think I should book?

Quality wise these 3 hotels rate in my opinion as follows.

1. Ibero Star Costa Dorada: I have stayed and we had some very special guests stay at IberoStar... rooms are nice, garden, pool and common areas are superior, food is the best of all AI's around town. I'd rate it as the only candidate in town for a possible ***** (probably a real world ****).
  2. Barcelo POP: We have no direct experience with Barcelo POP but hear mostly good reports. Probably ***+
  3. Gran Ventana: We had guests stay at Gran Ventana very recently and had complaints about power, noise, things not working, cold shower etc. The rooms are nice, however little garden, simple pool area. Food was OK. They work together with an other hotel just behind it, which name escapes me at the moment, so you may find yourself placed in a hotel across the parking lot you have to cross for food and direct access to the beaches and common areas... I rains at times in paradise too.... I'd give it ***

... J-D.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I booked I'm staying at the Grand Oasis a good price this morning and a friend of mine stays there all the time :) I'm heading down on May 14 woo hooo the count down begins :)

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

Reactions: Malibook

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I booked I'm staying at the Grand Oasis a good price this morning and a friend of mine stays there all the time :) I'm heading down on May 14 woo hooo the count down begins :)

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

Great choice! In my opinion the Gran Oasis Marien rates just below the IberoStar and above all the other choice you asked about.
A realistic ****
The Gran Oasis Marien is just next door to the IberoStar.
It has been renovated and new rooms and restaurants and shopping spaces added. The rooms used to be very nice and decent food.
You will be close to the city, able to pick up a public transportation into town or to the East to Sosua for less than one Dollar. Just don't take the cab from the front desk and wave a minibus down on the main street and pay with LOCAL money.

Don't change currency at the airports nor in the hotel, both would get you for 10 to 15 %! Don't exchange with street guys, the may get you for 100% :D. Try to change in a bank in town.

Enjoy! ... J-D.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
yes I'm happy it was a bit cheaper than the Iberostar so i went with it as a friend recommeded it as well :)
I've been to POP many times so I'm ready :) I have taken the gua gua before as well so i know not to take the taxi from the hotel :)

Thanks for the tips, i will exchange when I go downtown in POP :)

I have missed the DR and I am super excited!!

Great choice! In my opinion the Gran Oasis Marien rates just below the IberoStar and above all the other choice you asked about.
A realistic ****
The Gran Oasis Marien is just next door to the IberoStar.
It has been renovated and new rooms and restaurants and shopping spaces added. The rooms used to be very nice and decent food.
You will be close to the city, able to pick up a public transportation into town or to the East to Sosua for less than one Dollar. Just don't take the cab from the front desk and wave a minibus down on the main street and pay with LOCAL money.

Don't change currency at the airports nor in the hotel, both would get you for 10 to 15 %! Don't exchange with street guys, the may get you for 100% :D. Try to change in a bank in town.

Enjoy! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
yes I'm happy it was a bit cheaper than the Iberostar so i went with it as a friend recommeded it as well :)
I've been to POP many times so I'm ready :) I have taken the gua gua before as well so i know not to take the taxi from the hotel :)

Thanks for the tips, i will exchange when I go downtown in POP :)

I have missed the DR and I am super excited!!

Well, unless you have come here very recently, you will be pleasantly surprised by all the betterment of roads, parks and the Malecon.

... J-D.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
It's been 2yrs and I have read and heard about the changes :) But I welcome and appreciate any advice or tips you may have for me or anyone else :)

Well, unless you have come here very recently, you will be pleasantly surprised by all the betterment of roads, parks and the Malecon.

... J-D.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Hi, Music. I'll be dancing at La Canita, Terraza Caribe, or Ranch Tipico. Where will you be on Friday night May 15th????

Status
Not open for further replies.